The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 30, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Dude there's no such thing as a consensus ranking. of course different pundits and companies are going to rank differently...you're argument that Juolevi wasn't on anyone's radar is absolute trash and easily proven wrong with 5 minutes of research. 

Lol...never once said that - was pointing out - that he wasn't "the consensus" number six.   That's how this all started. Good grief.   Like a spinning record.   Or that "everyone had him at six"  ... which was simply not true.  

9 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Did you read any of my posts? I said they didn't pick the best player available (that was Tkachuk) I said they picked the best defenseman available ( according to many or at least their scouts ) and they drafted for need rather than the BPA. Perhaps read all that I've written if your gonna argue lol....Ibatch said OJ "wasn't on anyone's radar" and was an "off the board reach" which simply is not true.

Context:   CDC "anyones radar"....then i was told 3 CDCers had them on their "radar"... so i guess i was wrong.    Go back and look at the draft.    He wasn't a name you saw popping up.   And you fail ed to leave out my post(s) about how the world juniors spiked his actual rankings. Mid season to final draft he moved up significantly.   Was the "why" of it.   Listen it's not worth continuing - but i can't help it when revisionist history isn't accurate.   He was never a consensus 6th pick (again how this all started) he was ranked all over the place from 6-11 plus ... after the worlds ...  before?   MT on the other hand,  all season was ranked at or near the top of the draft, he slipped to us and we didn't take him.   It was a mistake.   Nobody can say it wasn't a mistake because of course it was - other then maybe we wouldn't have ended up with QHs ... EP yes i think we'd probably still have got him.    I've also stated EP and QHs made up for that miss several times on other threads, it's not the end of the world we missed on OJ, it's unfortunate though.   And i'm not a fan of his Dad, or MT.   But maybe would be if he was on our team hard to say.   Try and remain civil. 

Edited by IBatch

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

BPA in hindsight was Sergachev, McAvoy, or Chychrun.  He just picked the wrong guy who got hit with injuries.  Passing on Tkachuk with his severe character issues was the right move.

Maybe.   Maybe not.   At the time i was really sad to see PLD go... and then happy to see MT still there.   Was a goal machine in the playoffs ... NHL ready ... and willing to not think about his Dad...stoked he slipped and actually couldn't believe our luck!   Picking a guy on a loaded London team that barely could put up 40 points in juniors?   Well ... that's what we did do.   Chychrun i had higher same with Sergachev, not hard to get a lot of apples on a FIN team as loaded as they were, and should have been easier to get more points with London as well.    I don't recall anyone pushing to get OJ entering the draft.   PLD was our guy.   Maybe JB was all smoke and mirrors.   After the dust settled, did support the move though - we picked a D and absolutely needed one.   It's really too bad it wasn't the right one. 

• Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe.   Maybe not.   At the time i was really sad to see PLD go... and then happy to see MT still there.   Was a goal machine in the playoffs ... NHL ready ... and willing to not think about his Dad...stoked he slipped and actually couldn't believe our luck!   Picking a guy on a loaded London team that barely could put up 40 points in juniors?   Well ... that's what we did do.   Chychrun i had higher same with Sergachev, not hard to get a lot of apples on a FIN team as loaded as they were, and should have been easier to get more points with London as well.    I don't recall anyone pushing to get OJ entering the draft.   PLD was our guy.   Maybe JB was all smoke and mirrors.   After the dust settled, did support the move though - we picked a D and absolutely needed one.   It's really too bad it wasn't the right one. 

Papa Keith was a 1000 point player.  Matt seems to be on the same trajectory.  We should have picked him, that is unless he has Evander Kane / Jake Virtanen level character issues...and by all indications he doesn't, he's just a garden variety dickhead.  Guy is on pace for like 100 points this year...imagine if we had that instead of...nothing.  Well, I guess instead of a respectable 4th liner.  Sigh...

I think he's gonna end up one of the great father / son tandems of all time.  Obviously not Bobby and Brett but a good chance we're looking at 2000 points.

Also a stealth great tandem with Mike Foligno and his kid.