The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else finding it hard to get excited for next year?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

34 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

after 50+ years of watching this team, its always been difficult to see what is in the future. The scary thing is this team has performed well under Boudreau but who knows if that is sustainable.

Demko cannot play 60+ games next season. I like Martin in as the back up and if he can play 20 games or more and play well, then TD will be fresher at the end of the season.

Defensively we have to make changes. I like Hughes and Schenn. One is a great offensive defenseman and one plays defense so the other can be that Offensive defenseman.

OEL and Myers. I think Myers gets crapped on a lot for his contract but he hasnt played awful this season. he does however get scrambly in his own end. we need a player that calms things down in their own end and Myers struggles with this.It doesnt help that his partner makes the lazy play almost every shift.If I see OEL swing his stick at the puck or player one more time im going to get sick, What he doesnt do well anymore is skate the puck out of trouble. He throws it off the boards to avoid the hit. He swings his stick at the player rather than engage physically. He doesnt clear the front of the net at all. Lazy plays keep the puck in your zone when your team is tired. Lazy plays give the other team possession when you are trying to change lines. Lazy plays often end up in the back of your own net.

Poolman Burroughs, Dermott are not the issue. They arent great D men but they are being asked to play above where they should fit into an organization. They are 5,6,7 on a good team. Hunt should never see NHL ice again but we have him playing regularly because we have no other option. Well its up to JR and PA to find another option.

As for up front Boeser is not worth 7.5 in a cap situation. Love the kid but he isnt worth that much. If they cant get it reduced either through Negotiations or arbitration i would walk away. Hard to lose the asset but we need to reallocate the funds to the D zone.

Miller if he doesnt look like he will sign a friendly deal is best traded to find another prospect that fits our group. Bigger, faster stronger. One thing about JT . He does make the players around him better. He did it with Petey, Boeser, now Podkolzin.If we could sign him long term id be ok with that but not at 10 million.

Bo has been solid. Podkolzin looks solid as well.Petey finally came to play the last 30 games or so.

At Center i think we are ok with Miller Petey and Bo. Wingers we need an upgrade and some size. Theres too many smurfs on this team,Garland Hoglander, Dries Highmore, Petan,Lockwood all under 6 feet. Need at least two more solid beefed up players to put the hits on the D in the offensive zone. Size with skill.

Any of Garland, Pearson, Dickenson, Lammiko, Chaisson , could be moved and i doubt anyone would notice

Petan should never see the NHL again either.

Id bring Bruce back and give him a chance to finish what he started here.I dont see any better possible coaching candidates out there at this time. Maurice doesnt do it for me hes another Travis Green as far as I can see.

I hope management can find a couple blue chip prospects out there and lose a couple of the anchors we currently have. They did it with Hamonic so its possible. Its just how far down does the gut job have to be to move forward.

And one of these 2 beefed up forwards have to be able to answer the bell...

• Cheers 1

On 4/4/2022 at 1:06 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Maybe it’s just me but is anyone else finding it hard to get excited for next year? I look at our depth and the lack of prospects in the system. I keep hearing they may want to retain Boeser and keep Miller and it doesn’t sound like a lot of change might happen. I am also worried about the bad contracts we have on this team and how they might limit their ability to make changes. If we are seeing that some of these contracts as bad then what do other teams think of them and why would they want them? They really handcuff what the organization can do. It’s mostly the depth in the system that bothers me. It’s crazy to look at Tampa and Colorado who are already great teams but they can always go their system and get more. Anyways, is there anyone else with the same thoughts. I am hopeful with the new management and I am so happy Benning isn’t here anymore.

I, for one, am pretty intrigued to see this team in a fresh season, under Boudreau.

Under him, the Canucks have gone 30-15-9. 

That, imo, is worthy of a second look before panic buttons are pushed.

Bruce seems to have the pulse of this team and knows how to get the best out of every player.

I see the key for success, next season, being a faster start for Petey, Boeser and Horvat. continued development in both Podkolzin and Hoglander, and better perfomance from our bottom six players.

If these issues are addressed, this team will make a lot of noise next season.