The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yeah! Let's Just Go Get That Top 4 RHD!!

Rate this topic

HKSR

59 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

How long does it take for a defenseman to develop into an NHL'er ? If Canucks start drafting them in the next draft which is in 2023 then you can expect to have this D-Man in the line-up on the big stage in 2026. It took Seider who was drafted 6th overall 2 years to make the NHL.

How can Canucks draft a defenseman when they continuously trade away second round picks? If you want to add a quality defenseman (a top 4 D-Man) you find those in the first two rounds.

To your last statement "you're simply not gonna acquire one in a trade". Look at the blueline of the new jersey devils. They acquired lots of defenseman in a trade. The only D-Man on their blueline they got in the draft is Severson. all other defenseman were signed in free agency or acquired in a trade.

I wanted Noah Dobson badly, especiallly because of his well rounded game, his frame and of course he's a right handed D-Man. Canucks would have been better off with Dobson.

In this years draft it would have been better to draft Lian Bichsel instead of adding another winger (Podkolzin, Klimovich, Lekkerimäki). You easily get Top 6 wingers in free agency.

Hamilton was a UFA.  Severson was drafted.  Marino was via trade, and that's why lots of us were all over that hoping the Canucks would acquire him because they don't get trade often.  However, as good as Marino is, what I was referring to is that "top pairing" RHD that is young and can pair up next to Hughes for the next decade.  When I talk 'young', I mean a player in their early 20s. 

Plenty of really high end RHD come in the 3rd round.  Like I said, the 2nd and 3rd round is where you gamble on the high ceiling guys and hope they pan out.  If they do, then you've got yourself the rare top 4 RHD that is so highly coveted across the league.

In the 1st round you have to go BPA.