The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yeah! Let's Just Go Get That Top 4 RHD!!

Rate this topic

HKSR

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

Severson is probably the only one of the list we'd have any chance of getting.

Ya, the Devils will almost definitely be shopping him at the deadline this year so he definitely should be available. They've been rumored to be interested in Garland for a while now but it would take more than just that for Severson (also Severson's contract is up and will likely be asking for 6M+). 

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

Ya, the Devils will almost definitely be shopping him at the deadline this year so he definitely should be available. They've been rumored to be interested in Garland for a while now but it would take more than just that for Severson (also Severson's contract is up and will likely be asking for 6M+). 

6 mil would be OK, that should be market value for him. Garland + what tho? 

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

6 mil would be OK, that should be market value for him. Garland + what tho? 

Honestly no idea. If they don't feel Bahl is ready, maybe Demott and a 2nd or 3rd? Dermott should be an upgrade over Brendan Smith on the left side.

I can see them asking for Garland + Rathbone though.

2 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Honestly no idea. If they don't feel Bahl is ready, maybe Demott and a 2nd or 3rd? Dermott should be an upgrade over Brendan Smith on the left side.

I can see them asking for Garland + Rathbone though.

I'd be fine with that deal. 

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

But seriously, have you guys actually done the research to see who the heck would be available that is a Top 4 RHD at an age that fits the Canucks age group???

Take a look yourself:

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2023/caphit/all/defense/all/desc/right?stats-season=2023&limits=age-15-29

Those are the active RHD aged up to 29 years old in the entire NHL.

Of that list, who is realistically attainable that could be considered a true Top 4 RHD? 

Reality is, if we want a Top 4 RHD, it'll come through drafting and developing our own, or else picking one up via UFA.  Acquiring a RHD via trade generally costs a fortune, which is why I'm quite disappointed the Canucks brass didn't make a push to acquire Marino when he was available.  Look how much Nils friggin Lundqvist cost! 

Anyways, my rant for the day to show some clarity in terms of RHD availability.

I only looked at the top 25 but of those all were drafted in the first three rounds with the exception of Pionk, Marino and Weegar.

Conclusion = Canucks need to stop trading top draft picks and take and develop RHD's

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Chychrun and Dobson? Yeah I'd be fine with that. The best part is that's $8.6 million for two defencemen for the next 3 years, and both under 25 years old.

Dobson 23--6'4 - RD -- 3yrs X 4 million   -- 52 points last season untouchable they will build around him....

On 10/14/2022 at 8:42 AM, HKSR said:

But seriously, have you guys actually done the research to see who the heck would be available that is a Top 4 RHD at an age that fits the Canucks age group???

Take a look yourself:

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2023/caphit/all/defense/all/desc/right?stats-season=2023&limits=age-15-29

Those are the active RHD aged up to 29 years old in the entire NHL.

Of that list, who is realistically attainable that could be considered a true Top 4 RHD? 

Reality is, if we want a Top 4 RHD, it'll come through drafting and developing our own, or else picking one up via UFA.  Acquiring a RHD via trade generally costs a fortune, which is why I'm quite disappointed the Canucks brass didn't make a push to acquire Marino when he was available.  Look how much Nils friggin Lundqvist cost! 

Anyways, my rant for the day to show some clarity in terms of RHD availability.

I was disappointed as well. I think it was poor timing. Discussing Rathbone and a pick would probably still wouldn’t have been enough, but Rathbone’s nasty injury in mid February made that out of the question anyways. We just didn’t have the prospect to offer. 

Just so we're clear, Chychrun and Pavel Mintyukov are both left-handed, as I've seen them discussed in this thread.  

I really liked Noah Juulsen's game once again.  He played really well and just made one mistake when nobody was getting open for him and our forwards were blowing the zone instead of offering themselves up for an easy outlet.  

Our 3rd pairing and 7th d-man right side of defense is set and spoken for between Schenn, Poolman, Burroughs, and Juulsen. I've said this before, but I would have no issue dipping into free agency if we can find a solid 2nd pairing guy to slide in behind or in front of Myers on the depth chart. 

Mayfield, Zub, Dumba, Klingberg, Severson will all be UFAs next summer.  Gotta try and poach one of those guys....  otherwise I agree with you, there's not any RHDs that look available right now. 

Still hard to think of what could have been if Miller was traded for many packages including Lysell and Carlo.  Get Carlo then sign Klingberg and this D core is completely different:

OEL Klingberg

Hughes Carlo

Dermott Myers

That would be quite the difference be today.  I have a suspicion that Severson will be the UFA we target which will be an improvement if we clear enough cap.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick bump to remind people how hard it is to acquire a top 4 RHD.  We NEED to start drafting them, and lots of them from round 2 onwards.  At a minimum, start picking them in round 3 and go BPA in round 2.  You're simply not gonna acquire one in a trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Just a quick bump to remind people how hard it is to acquire a top 4 RHD.  We NEED to start drafting them, and lots of them from round 2 onwards.  At a minimum, start picking them in round 3 and go BPA in round 2.  You're simply not gonna acquire one in a trade.

True, but we need to stop trading away these 2nd and 3rd round picks and adding more instead.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True, but we need to stop trading away these 2nd and 3rd round picks and adding more instead.  

Yup, I think the top 4 RHD will most likely come in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Those are your best places to 'gamble' on high ceiling high risk defencemen.

We took Elias Pettersson v.2 in the 3rd round this year... another LHD, when 3 picks later, Dallas goes for:

https://thehockeywriters.com/george-fegaras-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Would have loved to have a RHD prospect like this in the pipeline.  A potential 2-way defender with good size (6'1" 199lbs)

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=248463

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

How long does it take for a defenseman to develop into an NHL'er ? If Canucks start drafting them in the next draft which is in 2023 then you can expect to have this D-Man in the line-up on the big stage in 2026. It took Seider who was drafted 6th overall 2 years to make the NHL.

How can Canucks draft a defenseman when they continuously trade away second round picks? If you want to add a quality defenseman (a top 4 D-Man) you find those in the first two rounds.

To your last statement "you're simply not gonna acquire one in a trade". Look at the blueline of the new jersey devils. They acquired lots of defenseman in a trade. The only D-Man on their blueline they got in the draft is Severson. all other defenseman were signed in free agency or acquired in a trade.

I wanted Noah Dobson badly, especiallly because of his well rounded game, his frame and of course he's a right handed D-Man. Canucks would have been better off with Dobson.

In this years draft it would have been better to draft Lian Bichsel instead of adding another winger (Podkolzin, Klimovich, Lekkerimäki). You easily get Top 6 wingers in free agency.