The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Kuzmenko Extension

Rate this topic

HKSR

5 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

If reports are true, and Kuz's camp won't talk contract until the off season there is inherent risk of letting him walk for nothing. If they are able to clear cap space by the trade deadline, and they have the room to do it I like their chances of re-signing him. Let's remember 30 other teams were bidding for his services and he chose Vancouver and states that it was his first choice all along....if he wanted to be with a contender right away he would have signed with a contender because he easily could have.

If Vancouver is unable to clear cap space, it's pretty risking waiting until the off season thinking they will be able to win a bidding war for him if his production keeps at this pace. Then you really have to think about trading him at the deadline. 

His agent was smart, he looked around to see what team could give him top 3 ice time so the next contract could be much more lucrative. There was no team that had open spots in the top line.

Kuzmenko already has solidified his position as a top six player and PP player in the league now and almost a point per game player. He also was glowing when talking about his idol Ovechkin and Washington will have cap space, which they didn't have last year, to sign him to a pretty decent contract.

They could sign him and trade for Miller and have enough cap space net year, do a mini reset for Ovechikin.

There you go, use Kuzmenko as the add in to trade Miller

It should not be hard for fans to think that the Canucks are just a stepping stone, t has happened here recently, Schenn was out of the league and ended up with a resurgence thanks to the Canucks, somewhat with Benn as well, Motte, Miller.

He is a FA next year, his agent knows if there is no talks he is probably traded at or before the TDL, this management just can't go the same way as Elmer and let him go for nothing.

The Canucks have a chance to get back a long lasting return for really nothing and help change the belief that these new guys are nothing but con men carrying on the status quo. That the new management really think the fans are idiots, stupid, immature, dumb, mere lemmings and mushrooms to be kept in the dark and covered with shat.

Oh wait they are already treating fans like mushrooms :D

Edited by ToTellTheTruth
  • Upvote 1

Begin the talks ,  talk figures,  5 years ( NTC 10 - year 4-5) 

need the end of season to truly assess this player ,  but his play only going to get better.

Hes playing a safe game / attention to detail.. next year open up that stride and give him a green light.   I think Kuz could be the next best exciting player we’ve seen . 

On 12/15/2022 at 2:23 PM, HKSR said:

So one thing that baffles me on here is how so many people think Kuzmenko is gonna sign a 'show me' deal, or a bridge deal.

WHY?  WHY ON EARTH WOULD HE DO THAT?

Kuzmenko will be 27 years old by the time he signs an extension.  If you were him, and never made any big bucks in the NHL before, would YOU sign a 1 to 3 year deal that transfers ALL of the risk to you?  What if you hit a slump next season?  What if you get injured?  What if, what if, what if?

Reality is there is a really good chance that Kuzmenko hits 30 goals and 75 to 80 points this season.  Those are great numbers and puts him easily in the $7M+ AAV range.  As a UFA, I have zero doubt that a team would be more than willing to hand him a $50M deal over 7 years. 

I just laugh and cringe when I see people here thinking he will go ahead and put pen to paper on a 3 year deal worth $5M per year lol.  Keep dreaming CDC... keep dreaming.

If the Canucks decide to do a full on rebuild, they should trade everyone at the deadline *except* Pettersson (under the condition that Petey is fully committed to being here long term and doesn’t intend to pull a Matt Tkachuk).

Load the farm with picks and prospects, tank hard for Bedard or any top 5 pick in general.