Changing the draft lottery

Rate this topic

UnkNuk

On 4/10/2023 at 5:09 PM, Crabcakes said:

Try this:

the team with the worst record picks first

second worst picks second

and so on

if a team legitimately tanks, it hurts every player on the team so they do so at their peril

simpler is better

Fully transparent, stress free & so simple.

All the complicated nuances of this current draft lottery process only confirm to me, the high likelihood that it is…or could be rigged.

Hmmph!

I still like the idea of linking every non-playoff team with a playoff team with the non-playoff team's draft position dependent on how well the playoff team does.

I'm looking at the playoff matches and I have little or no interest in any of them.  If the Canucks draft fortunes were linked to one of these teams, I definitely would be interested in watching their series.

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Hmmph!

I still like the idea of linking every non-playoff team with a playoff team with the non-playoff team's draft position dependent on how well the playoff team does.

I'm looking at the playoff matches and I have little or no interest in any of them.  If the Canucks draft fortunes were linked to one of these teams, I definitely would be interested in watching their series.

It's a great idea in terms of viewership interest.  I would be glued to the TV to cheer for whoever the Canucks were paired with.  Works out great with an equal number of teams in and out of the playoffs as well.

You know...since I'm actually pretty fine with a completely even odds lottery for all teams that miss the playoffs...why the hell not replace that lottery with your lottery.  The idea is growing on me a little bit.  It feels like an abomination in terms of being a bizarre gimmick but in terms of actual meritorious arguments to be made against it...I don't really have many.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

why the hell not replace that lottery with your lottery.

A 'give credit where credit is due' point:  this lottery isn't my idea.  This was an idea written about by an Athletic writer who got the idea from a reader.

I just I think it's a good idea.