The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] VAN - NJD

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’ve been watching hockey since the 1980’s and you are asking me if I know anything about hockey?   :lol:

Oh wow, OEL actually threw some hits in his career, he definitely reminds me of Scott Stevens…

Rathbone and Hronek on PP2 together?  You do realize that our PP runs only one Dman right?  

Hirose is going to play the right side?  He’s never played the right side in all of his career but all of a sudden he’s going to change to his off side in the NHL?  You do realize it’s quite complicated for a Dman to switch to their off side right, and that 99% of NHL’ers can’t do it effectively?  

Perhaps it’s not me that doesn’t know anything about hockey…

First off just because you've been watching hockey since the 1980s does not mean you know the game well. Second to your sarcastic comments is the point that you were saying our LHD side has no physicality. Which is nowhere near true as Quinn Hughes has been more and more physical every season. I also showed many clips that show Ekman-Larsson plays physical and hard yet you can't face the fact you're entirely wrong; so you resort to sarcasm. You do realize our PP DID run one D-man when Jason King instructed it? Remember the part where King was relieved of duties? I've watched Hirose live like I said and his IQ and skating has been raved about at every level plus I saw him playing as a RHD on breakouts up close live. And you want to argue with me about him being able to switch sides? 99% of D-men can't switch sides effectively? That is not true at all. For the record I played up to Junior A and have trained and played with players from the NHL and many high levels. I'm also cousins with the Niedermayer brothers and I work with

ex-NHLers in hockey scouting and hockey development for players at every competitive Junior level and many people have commented that I am a great scout with a great view of the game.

So... You were saying?

41 minutes ago, Underdog7 said:

First off just because you've been watching hockey since the 1980s does not mean you know the game well. Second to your sarcastic comments is the point that you were saying our LHD side has no physicality. Which is nowhere near true as Quinn Hughes has been more and more physical every season. I also showed many clips that show Ekman-Larsson plays physical and hard yet you can't face the fact you're entirely wrong; so you resort to sarcasm. You do realize our PP DID run one D-man when Jason King instructed it? Remember the part where King was relieved of duties? I've watched Hirose live like I said and his IQ and skating has been raved about at every level plus I saw him playing as a RHD on breakouts up close live. And you want to argue with me about him being able to switch sides? 99% of D-men can't switch sides effectively? That is not true at all. For the record I played up to Junior A and have trained and played with players from the NHL and many high levels. I'm also cousins with the Niedermayer brothers and I work with

ex-NHLers in hockey scouting and hockey development for players at every competitive Junior level and many people have commented that I am a great scout with a great view of the game.

So... You were saying?

So what inside information do you have that our PP is now switching to two Dmen?  Do you have some inside knowledge that others don’t?  Was is solely Jason King’s decision to play one Dman and now that he is gone everything will change?

If you are actually related to the Niedermayers then please ask Scott if OEL is similar to his buddy Scott Stevens in terms of physicality.  I would love to know his reaction.  Just because someone makes a few hits doesn’t mean they are a physical stay at home Dman.  Luke Schenn is a physical stay at home Dman.  These are the types of Dmen we need to fill out our roster, guys who can block shots, clear the front of the net and kill penalties.  Ask Niedermayer about Scott Stevens and how important he was to that New Jersey defence. I watched Scott Niedermayer’s entire career and he and Stevens were probably one of the best D partner combos in NHL history.  Niedermayer and Bourque were two of the very few guys who could play their off side effectively and thrived on that side.  It’s a lot harder to do that in today’s game because the game is much faster than it used to be.

I’m pretty sure that Adam Foote is not going to be playing Hirose on the right side, but hey I’d love to be proven wrong. 

In any event, getting back to the original discussion, Jack Rathbone is going to be waiver eligible next season.  I don’t see him making the team.  They might even start Hirose in Abby and bring up either Wolanin or Brisebois to take that 7/8 Dman spot.  And they will certainly try and get a physical stay at home left side Dman to play on the 3rd pairing who can effectively be our #1 PK’er.

I don’t see any way that Rathbone makes the club next season.  I’d love to be proven wrong though.  And even if you’ve  played Junior A and are related to Scott Nidermayer you really aren’t going to change my mind…

FYI, you are the one who started the insults by claiming I know nothing about hockey.  I grew up with guys who have played in the NHL, so I do know a thing or two about the game…

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So what inside information do you have that our PP is now switching to two Dmen?  Do you have some inside knowledge that others don’t?  Was is solely Jason King’s decision to play one Dman and now that he is gone everything will change?

If you are actually related to the Niedermayers then please ask Scott if OEL is similar to his buddy Scott Stevens in terms of physicality.  I would love to know his reaction.  Just because someone makes a few hits doesn’t mean they are a physical stay at home Dman.  Luke Schenn is a physical stay at home Dman.  These are the types of Dmen we need to fill out our roster, guys who can block shots, clear the front of the net and kill penalties.  Ask Niedermayer about Scott Stevens and how important he was to that New Jersey defence. I watched Scott Niedermayer’s entire career and he and Stevens were probably one of the best D partner combos in NHL history.  Niedermayer and Bourque were two of the very few guys who could play their off side effectively and thrived on that side.  It’s a lot harder to do that in today’s game because the game is much faster than it used to be.

I’m pretty sure that Adam Foote is not going to be playing Hirose on the right side, but hey I’d love to be proven wrong. 

In any event, getting back to the original discussion, Jack Rathbone is going to be waiver eligible next season.  I don’t see him making the team.  They might even start Hirose in Abby and bring up either Wolanin or Brisebois to take that 7/8 Dman spot.  And they will certainly try and get a physical stay at home left side Dman to play on the 3rd pairing who can effectively be our #1 PK’er.

I don’t see any way that Rathbone makes the club next season.  I’d love to be proven wrong though.  And even if you’ve  played Junior A and are related to Scott Nidermayer you really aren’t going to change my mind…

FYI, you are the one who started the insults by claiming I know nothing about hockey.  I grew up with guys who have played in the NHL, so I do know a thing or two about the game…

I have not heard anything about what will happen with the blueline yet. What I can tell you is that Jason King has run the PP for a long time and he is now gone. Under King it was Quinn being alone running the PP and that was a factor in alot of Quinns turnovers and odd man rushes the other way. Especially when Quinn has been dealing with that since he entered the NHL. Case in point was acquiring Hronek to help out who was a fixture on Detroits PP. He was brought in to play with Hughes as the Canucks have said. So clearly with that and the King dismissal it all points to a Hughes-Hronek PP1. With that set-up you would need a blueline duo for PP2. Go out and spend more draft picks or overpay  a UFA like Gostisbehere? Does not sound like a good plan does it? Instead how about give a character kid who's persevered through two injuries from illegal hits the last two seasons and is basically a poor mans Q.Hughes with more muscle? Also I never called

Ekman-Larsson some Scott Stevens or

Luke Schenn. I was correcting you for saying that OEL is not very physical. Anyone who is not rooting for Rathbone to make this team and would rather spend on an overrated UFA is completely delusional.