The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You gave your today for our tomorrow

Starbug

I'm not gonna say the name of my store, but it's the only one at Metrotown that remained closed until 11:15am.

Talk about disrespectful. Most of these retail chains have no class.

and yes, it's MY store.

Thank you to those who gave your life, and hopefully the rest can come home soon

Edited by MegaNuck
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Here are the nearby French and German cemeteries. The French and German soldiers were moved to large cemeteries, while British Commonwealth soldiers were buried in smaller cemeteries scattered all over the countryside.

French cemetery, 45 000 graves (right next to another British Commonwealth cemetery):

German cemetery 50 000 graves:

I saw these last two places because I got a ride back to town from a local man (retired, I think) who feels so strongly for what Canada did that he spends his days going by the Vimy Ridge train station (knows the schedules by heart, according to the girl working at the interpretive centre) and offering Canadian tourists a ride to the memorial. On the way back to town, he stopped to show me these two places.

So many travelers make use of the fact that Canadians are well-received in Europe but have no idea as to why that is so. It's because of what our nation accomplished in WWI and WWII. Sadly, I think they (Europeans) may have a better appreciation of that than many Canadian citizens do.

I know this is a Remembrance Day thread, but I thought it was a fitting place to put this obituary, especially considering a previous post of mine (above).

The man I knew as Monsieur Devloo, the elderly gentleman who gave me a ride from Vimy Ridge back to town, has passed away. He was considered a grandfather to the Canadian guides working at Vimy Ridge, and the Canadian government has recognized him as a true friend in Remembrance. When I met him, I got the feeling he truly appreciated the sacrifices of all the soldiers who gave up everything to fight in the wars. In turn, he spent his retirement helping Canadians appreciate that same sacrifice.

Canada loses 'one of its truest friends' in Vimy

By Peter O'Neil, Canwest News ServiceFebruary 11, 2009 3:01 AM

The Canadian government paid tribute Tuesday to an elderly French man who used to drive Canadian visitors from the Vimy train station to the memorial marking the famous 1917 Canadian battlefield victory.

Veterans Affairs Minister Greg Thompson said Georges Devloo, who died last Friday at age 85, will be remembered fondly by the hundreds of Canadians who he encouraged to appreciate the sacrifice of their ancestors.

"Canada has lost one of its truest friends in Remembrance," Thompson said in a statement.

"Many Canadians travelling to Vimy by train, who were not always aware that the Vimy Memorial is five kilometres from the village, often found themselves with no means of getting to the memorial. Every day, Mr. Devloo would stop by the train station to pick them up and drive them to the memorial."

Devloo, always wearing a trademark black beret, was known as Vimy's "grandfather" or "grampie" among the young Canadian guides who worked at the site.

"Mr. Devloo provided them with lessons in history, French, and at times driving lessons in his treasured Citroen," according to Thompson.

One of those he charmed was Jessica Larter of Stratford, P.E.I., a former Vimy guide who served as Devloo's translator and guide during part of a 2007 visit to Canada.

"He always came to visit us during the day and bring us waffles and stuff,'' Larter told The Guardian newspaper during the visit. "He is so kind.''

Devloo was a former teacher and basketball coach. His funeral will take place in Vimy on Thursday.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Canada+lose...6105/story.html

Rest in peace, and may your example of remembering sacrifice live on.

• Upvote 1

M. Devloo with Larter in PEI 2007. He looks in very good health here. Il est dommage.

Full story above at: http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=62951&sc=98

“He feels it is an act of respect because Canada has done so much for him,’’ said Larter, translating after patiently listening to a typically long and animated response from Devloo, watching with amusement as the Frenchman’s hands and arms whip through the air for emphasis.

:lol: He was definitely animated. I don't speak much french, and he didn't speak much english, but he managed to get his points across, usually with lots of hand waving.

In terms of why he spent so much time assisting Canadians in any way he could, from providing rides to french lessons to opening his home to visitors,

He told us it was a mixture of things. When his wife died, he was terribly lonely and had a lot to give still. But there was also something that struck him about Canada. He said he knew how much Canada gave, said he knew, too, that Canada was one of the few countries that gave without asking for anything in return. It wasn't just about war. It was about rebuilding after the war. His deeds, he said, were simply acts of solidarity.
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/02/09/f...-arsenault.html

Last fall, Devloo was awarded a certificate of appreciation by Canada's Minister of Veteran's Affairs at the private Remembrance Day ceremonies on Nov 12.

20081112_Vimy_001.jpg

http://www.vac.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?sourc...nn_overseas/010

Edited by Starbug
  • Upvote 1

WWI a war of empires for empires... Canada fought for..... actually nvm the truth will upset people....

ill just go along with the rest of the blind sheep and say god bless all the people who fought...

Which banned member were you?

WWI a war of empires for empires... Canada fought for..... actually nvm the truth will upset people....

ill just go along with the rest of the blind sheep and say god bless all the people who fought...

Then what do you have to say for World War II?

• Upvote 1

Then what would you suggest the world shouldve done on negotiating with Hitler?

if it was the 30s/40s: forget negotiating with hitler, negotiate with the german public to make them see the light and have him overthrown

edited because of typo.

Edited by blitzkrieg

• 8 months later...

Poppies are out, and flowers are already appearing on memorials so I figured it was time to bump this thread.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.