The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

******OFFICIAL BLACKBERRY THREAD******

i am a beast

I concur, I want my RBC app. But what I did in the mean time (maybe it will cut it for you as well), is I just went to the RBC online backing page, and I saved it to the home screen.

Hmm, I'll try that, thanks!

I went to the Download TD mobile app page on my z10 browser and when I hit download it said "this is app is not supported on your device."

I really hope they're working on an upgraded (from 9900 where the app really was a link to your browser) version of the app (and for all banks) because that'd be sad if the z10 can't run basic apps that the 9900 and 9720 could

So is the Z10 worth getting over iPhone or Samsung?

I would say over the iPhone in a heart beat. When it comes to between z10 or s3, you have to see what you value most. Do you want all the games and apps? Then s3. Do you want bbm, time shift camera, adobe reader..etc. basically applications that are a lot more "useful" than "fun" ? Then z10.

Although, if it's true about z10 getting the android apps, then go with the z10

The only thing either the S3 or iPhone does better then the Z10 is that they have more apps. If you want apps right away, then iPhone, but other wise I would say Z10.

BB10 will have app support, you can quote me on it. It's the easiest OS to build apps for, and based on the initial reports, the consumer demand is there as well.

If you are using the Z10 for business and work you can partition the phone for the two separate workspaces and switch between the two as you use your phone.

http://crackberry.com/10-weeks-blackberry-10-blackberry-balance

http://bizblog.blackberry.com/2012/09/blackberry-balance-on-blackberry-10/

About BlackBerry Balance

BlackBerry Balance technology helps address corporate security concerns without limiting personal use of your BlackBerry device. If your administrator turns on BlackBerry Balance, the device data, apps, and network access are separated so that you have a work space and a personal space. The separate spaces help you avoid activities such as accidentally copying work data into a personal app, or displaying confidential work data during a BBM Video chat.

By default, your device uses the personal space. You can it use for activities such as taking pictures, downloading videos, playing games online, saving files to a media card, and posting on a social network.

In your work space, you can access your work email, contacts, and calendar, create work documents, and browse to corporate intranet sites. Your work space can include a separate version of BlackBerry World that contains the applications you are allowed to download and use at work. If your work space is protected with a password, you must unlock your work space to reveal the details about your work data.

You can quickly switch between spaces from the home screen. You can access both personal data and work data from certain places, such as Search.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/47561/als1342454359229.jsp

If you leave the company in future the business work space can be wiped without affecting your personal work space.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/47561/als1342454190100.jsp#als1343049948287

I know people who carry two smart phones (one for work and one personal) - so this would end that.

The only thing either the S3 or iPhone does better then the Z10 is that they have more apps. If you want apps right away, then iPhone, but other wise I would say Z10.

BB10 will have app support, you can quote me on it. It's the easiest OS to build apps for, and based on the initial reports, the consumer demand is there as well.

The Z10 has an emulator so you can run android apps.

If you live in the UK or Canada and would like to install some Android apps on your new BlackBerry Z10, here's how you do it.

The BlackBerry Z10 is the only smartphone that has a built in Android emulator allowing it to run other Android applications as well as BlackBerry 10 applications. Since BlackBerry 10 is a new platform, it is lacking in the available applications department. This was probably why BlackBerry built support for Android apps to run on BlackBerry 10 through an emulator, so it could say that there would be over 70,000 applications at launch in BlackBerry World. Of those 70,000, 1,000 are native BlackBerry 10 applications and the rest are all Android ports and Web apps.

GoodEReader has put together instructions and a step by step video on how to install Android applications on the BlackBerry Z10. You'll need to put the Z10 in Developer's Mode and create a password that you'll remember. Once you've done that you'll need to connect your Z10 to a PC via microUSB cable. You'll need to visit GoodEReader's Playbook and BB10 App Market to download the apps; you will not be able to install standard Android .APK files on the Z10. The apps in GoodEReader's App Market have already been converted to BAR files which will install on the Z10.

BlackBerry made a wise move in building an Android emulator for the BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10. It allows them to have a decent number of popular applications available to users, even if they're not native BlackBerry 10 apps. A new platform is only as good as the apps available to run on it, so adding Android apps into the BlackBerry 10 mix makes some very popular apps readily found in BlackBerry World.

I highly recommend following along with the video tutorial so you can be sure to follow all of the steps correctly in order to install Android apps on your new Z10.

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/7147/20130210/here-load-android-apps-blackberry-z10.htm

The Blackberry Z10 Smartphone marks the first time a mainstream device has been issued that had a built in Android emulator. The Z10 provides users with the ability of loading in their own Android apps, which greatly enhances the number of quality games that customers can access. For example, the Amazon Kindle e-Reading App is not available in Blackberry World, but is on Good e-Reader. Today we are going to walk you through the entire setup from beginning to end, and teach you how to load in your own Android apps.

The first thing you need to do is have access to a z10! Given that they are only available in Canada and the UK, you have your work cut out for you. You need to hit your settings menu, and then security. The main option you want interact with is Developers Mode. By default this is off, and you want to turn it on. It will then prompt you to enter the same password, twice. You don’t want to forget this, so make it easy.

Once developer mode has been turned on, you want to plug it into your PC via the MicroUSB cable. The next thing you want to do is visit our Playbook and BB10 App Market to find popular apps! You want to download them in BAR file format, if you try and load in native Android APK files, you will fail mightily.

Once you found a few apps you want to copy to your Z10, you need to download DDPB installer. The download link is HERE, and also available on the side of our website, under essential apps. You need to download this file (it is in MSI format). This is basically a program you will need to install. Once it’s fully loaded in your system, open it up. There will be a SCAN button and a field below it to enter a password. If your Z10 is still connected with developer mode on, it should take a few seconds to find your IP number. Enter your password below the number and then hit connect. If connection is successful you will see some confirmation messages below the password field. It will show the current phone OS version number, pin, and name of your phone.

The next thing is to load in some apps. Click on ADD in the top middle of DDPB and select the apps you downloaded from our APP Market. You can select a single app or a bunch, make sure they are all highlighted, and at the bottom of the screen click Install. The installation process should take a few seconds to a few minutes for each app. It really depends on how large and complex it is. Frequently, you will wait five to ten minutes for a 50MB game. If you downloaded files from our site, they should just install and you should be good to go.

All too often, we receive hundreds of emails a day from people who said they converted their own apps, and they don’t work. Converting Android files to the Playbook Bar format is a work of art. We have been doing this non-stop for over a year now, and know the warning signs of an incompatible app. As an example, we will download 150 apps from Google Play that are free, and convert them to a BAR. Only 30 of these or less will actually work. Generally, any app made in Java or Adobe Air will work, most proprietary frameworks from Rovio, Unity, or Gameloft, will never work.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/how-to-load-android-apps-on-the-blackberry-z10/

The Z10 has an emulator so you can run android apps.

If you live in the UK or Canada and would like to install some Android apps on your new BlackBerry Z10, here's how you do it.

The BlackBerry Z10 is the only smartphone that has a built in Android emulator allowing it to run other Android applications as well as BlackBerry 10 applications. Since BlackBerry 10 is a new platform, it is lacking in the available applications department. This was probably why BlackBerry built support for Android apps to run on BlackBerry 10 through an emulator, so it could say that there would be over 70,000 applications at launch in BlackBerry World. Of those 70,000, 1,000 are native BlackBerry 10 applications and the rest are all Android ports and Web apps.

GoodEReader has put together instructions and a step by step video on how to install Android applications on the BlackBerry Z10. You'll need to put the Z10 in Developer's Mode and create a password that you'll remember. Once you've done that you'll need to connect your Z10 to a PC via microUSB cable. You'll need to visit GoodEReader's Playbook and BB10 App Market to download the apps; you will not be able to install standard Android .APK files on the Z10. The apps in GoodEReader's App Market have already been converted to BAR files which will install on the Z10.

BlackBerry made a wise move in building an Android emulator for the BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10. It allows them to have a decent number of popular applications available to users, even if they're not native BlackBerry 10 apps. A new platform is only as good as the apps available to run on it, so adding Android apps into the BlackBerry 10 mix makes some very popular apps readily found in BlackBerry World.

I highly recommend following along with the video tutorial so you can be sure to follow all of the steps correctly in order to install Android apps on your new Z10.

http://www.mobilenap...ckberry-z10.htm

The Blackberry Z10 Smartphone marks the first time a mainstream device has been issued that had a built in Android emulator. The Z10 provides users with the ability of loading in their own Android apps, which greatly enhances the number of quality games that customers can access. For example, the Amazon Kindle e-Reading App is not available in Blackberry World, but is on Good e-Reader. Today we are going to walk you through the entire setup from beginning to end, and teach you how to load in your own Android apps.

The first thing you need to do is have access to a z10! Given that they are only available in Canada and the UK, you have your work cut out for you. You need to hit your settings menu, and then security. The main option you want interact with is Developers Mode. By default this is off, and you want to turn it on. It will then prompt you to enter the same password, twice. You don’t want to forget this, so make it easy.

Once developer mode has been turned on, you want to plug it into your PC via the MicroUSB cable. The next thing you want to do is visit our Playbook and BB10 App Market to find popular apps! You want to download them in BAR file format, if you try and load in native Android APK files, you will fail mightily.

Once you found a few apps you want to copy to your Z10, you need to download DDPB installer. The download link is HERE, and also available on the side of our website, under essential apps. You need to download this file (it is in MSI format). This is basically a program you will need to install. Once it’s fully loaded in your system, open it up. There will be a SCAN button and a field below it to enter a password. If your Z10 is still connected with developer mode on, it should take a few seconds to find your IP number. Enter your password below the number and then hit connect. If connection is successful you will see some confirmation messages below the password field. It will show the current phone OS version number, pin, and name of your phone.

The next thing is to load in some apps. Click on ADD in the top middle of DDPB and select the apps you downloaded from our APP Market. You can select a single app or a bunch, make sure they are all highlighted, and at the bottom of the screen click Install. The installation process should take a few seconds to a few minutes for each app. It really depends on how large and complex it is. Frequently, you will wait five to ten minutes for a 50MB game. If you downloaded files from our site, they should just install and you should be good to go.

All too often, we receive hundreds of emails a day from people who said they converted their own apps, and they don’t work. Converting Android files to the Playbook Bar format is a work of art. We have been doing this non-stop for over a year now, and know the warning signs of an incompatible app. As an example, we will download 150 apps from Google Play that are free, and convert them to a BAR. Only 30 of these or less will actually work. Generally, any app made in Java or Adobe Air will work, most proprietary frameworks from Rovio, Unity, or Gameloft, will never work.

http://goodereader.c...blackberry-z10/

so could you download android apps such as Instagram and run them through the emulator?

so could you download android apps such as Instagram and run them through the emulator?

Apparently. And Blackberry is looking to have native apps as well.

BlackBerry is talking with Instagram and Netflix to bring the apps to its BlackBerry 10 platform. BB10 launched with 70,000 applications and managed to get some big names on board from day one - Skype, Kindle, Whatsapp are just some of the apps that are now or will be soon available on the BlackBerry World market.

Instagram and Netflix have been two of the sore omissions, though, and news that BlackBerry is negotiating getting them is definitely welcome. However, The Verge has seen Instagram running on the Z10 and it looks like it is running on the custom runtime for Android apps, which means the app isn’t native.

From what we’ve seen so far, BlackBerry 10 does support Android apps via that runtime environment, but the performance is far from perfect.

The real question seems to be whether Instagram and Netflix will develop native apps, providing a true BB10 experience.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/BlackBerry-in-talks-with-Instagram-and-Netflix-apps-may-come-to-BlackBerry-10_id39322

So I followed the ereader video Wet posted, downloaded the formula 1 app and the Canucks app using their methods. Does not work that well. Sure the apps installed to my z10, but the quality was sh*t. The Canucks app had errors in trying to load videos or team leaders or latest news. The formula 1 game was at times unresponsive to me touching the screen.

I don't know why BB didn't wait to get their sh*t together before launching the phone. What was the point of launching the phone with no apps?

I'll wait until the end of the month, but if they don't do something about this app problem I may have to leave BlackBerry after 7 years and trade in my z10 for the s3. Glad the place I got my phone from said they'd exchange my phone within 6 weeks if I wasn't happy with it.

So I followed the ereader video Wet posted, downloaded the formula 1 app and the Canucks app using their methods. Does not work that well. Sure the apps installed to my z10, but the quality was sh*t. The Canucks app had errors in trying to load videos or team leaders or latest news. The formula 1 game was at times unresponsive to me touching the screen.

I don't know why BB didn't wait to get their sh*t together before launching the phone. What was the point of launching the phone with no apps?

I'll wait until the end of the month, but if they don't do something about this app problem I may have to leave BlackBerry after 7 years and trade in my z10 for the s3. Glad the place I got my phone from said they'd exchange my phone within 6 weeks if I wasn't happy with it.

Not all versions of the android apps work. You should get the apps from a site that tests them and provides the best version. There are a few of them out there that do this. I got my google maps sideloaded from one of them.

Not all versions of the android apps work. You should get the apps from a site that tests them and provides the best version. There are a few of them out there that do this. I got my google maps sideloaded from one of them.

would you mind linking me to where you got the google maps? That's actually one of the apps I carry my iPod touch around for. I don't know if Apple uses google maps but their map app is incredible.

would you mind linking me to where you got the google maps? That's actually one of the apps I carry my iPod touch around for. I don't know if Apple uses google maps but their map app is incredible.

It seems that is an opinion not widely shared.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2012/sep/20/apple-google-maps-headache

Perhaps we should let Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO weigh in:

To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

See story at:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/09/28/tech-apple-maps-app-ceo-tim-cook-apology.html

http://forums.crackb...-thread-766811/

Edit: As mentioned, not all Android apps work as of right now. When 10.1 is released, there will be an updated Android player, which will have the ability to run the latest apps.

It seems that is an opinion not widely shared.

http://www.guardian....e-maps-headache

Perhaps we should let Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO weigh in:

To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

See story at:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ok-apology.html

I don't have the latest maps app on my ipod touch. I have the one they used like on the iphone 3gs.

Here's the link to google maps:

http://bb10bars.net/index.php/maps-7/

Check the site for other .bars.

Also, if you have the same maps as on the 3GS, you have the old google maps. It's pretty good. With iOS 6+, Apple's default maps is their own Apple Maps, which sucks. Luckily, you can get a new google maps via the app store which is awesome (better than the original).

So after having the phone for a couple of days now and having had the chance to sleep on it, here are my 2 cents about the z10 and some changes I'd like to see.

1) The new update needs to change the contacts system. If someone you follow on Twitter isn't in your contacts, and you want to tweet @ them, when you put in "@" in your tweet box, it'll only allow you to choose from your contacts, otherwise you have to memorize the persons twitter handle. Same goes for facebook and private messaging. It's a joke. I just want my contacts to be peoples name with their phone number and email. I don't need my contacts list cluttered with peoples twitter handles.

2) Apps. Enough said. Though if what I'm hearing about BlackBerry making most if not all Android apps to be native apps on BlackBerry on the next update, that is freaking awesome.

3) love love love the blackberry hub.

So after having the phone for a couple of days now and having had the chance to sleep on it, here are my 2 cents about the z10 and some changes I'd like to see.

1) The new update needs to change the contacts system. If someone you follow on Twitter isn't in your contacts, and you want to tweet @ them, when you put in "@" in your tweet box, it'll only allow you to choose from your contacts, otherwise you have to memorize the persons twitter handle. Same goes for facebook and private messaging. It's a joke. I just want my contacts to be peoples name with their phone number and email. I don't need my contacts list cluttered with peoples twitter handles.

2) Apps. Enough said. Though if what I'm hearing about BlackBerry making most if not all Android apps to be native apps on BlackBerry on the next update, that is freaking awesome.

3) love love love the blackberry hub.

The first point is a very good one. I have disabled twitter from populating my contacts with people I follow but don't know. Not having them pop up when I type "@" is annoying.

Also, what's with the severe lack of ringtone options? 3 tones?

that is kind of sad.. i was having a tough time waiting for the Q10 to come out, but after hearing about all the minor complaints people have with the Z10 i'm excited for Blackberry to patch things up.. along with seeing if the promise of apps comes true

Archived