148 replies to this topic

#91 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

This was actually a really interesting + informative thread. I'm impressed it went this way when the OP seemed to be borderline trolling. Anyhow although I don't think I'd ever really try to get into it as a profession, I have a big attraction to the Port. One of my favorite things to do in the spring when the weather is just getting nice, is to bike down to the Port and sit and watch them unloading the cargo. Calming in some weird way. Then afterwards stop by the local pub down on Powell St. where the longshoremen drink. I've found them to be amazingly outgoing and friendly to total strangers. In fact I recently took a girl there on a first date, worried that she might hate it, but we wound up spending 5 hours drinking beers and chatting with a bunch of drunken longshoremen.

And on the topic of working graveyards - I worked them for a year after high school, over a decade ago, and my body still hasn't fully recovered. It threw off so many little bodily rhythms, and I'm a natural insomniac / night crawler. I really don't recommend it to anyone. I think I read something, a study, a year or two ago, and they estimated that only about 2 or 3 % of humans are able to work night shifts without it affecting them in any way.

#92 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Necro post but I was wondering if any forum user's are members of the port, what is the outlook on new hiring?

Will they be hiring any time soon? Or are they fully stocked with non-union workers?

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

#93 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

People that were hired 2 yrs ago are barely getting any work...find another gig unless you are hardcore connected .

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#94 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

People that were hired 2 yrs ago are barely getting any work...find another gig unless you are hardcore connected .

Interesting, I thought the port was booming...

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

#95 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,282 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Necro post but I was wondering if any forum user's are members of the port, what is the outlook on new hiring?

Will they be hiring any time soon? Or are they fully stocked with non-union workers?

Dont count on it, like nux said, getting work if your lucky enough to get in, will be a challenge. Also as the port grows, they also are introducing jobs where they use more machines, less workers.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#96 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

A buddy of mine has been doing it for about a year now. He got in because someone in the union got him an aplication, and he won the lottery to try out for the job. Anyways, he gets about 1 or 2 shifts a month.

#97 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

A buddy of mine has been doing it for about a year now. He got in because someone in the union got him an aplication, and he won the lottery to try out for the job. Anyways, he gets about 1 or 2 shifts a month.

Wow thats brutal, I couldn't imagine having a job where you get no work like that. I am guessing he has another job to survive but thats brutal!

Yeah I have done graveyard shifts before too and it's rough. Even though you are getting enough sleep hours wise, you still feel sluggish and unhealthy. I don't think longshoremans have to work long term graveyard shifts though. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think it's okay to do the odd graveyard shift do to shift needs, but I do agree that long term graveyard shift work is not fun at all. Especially in this field since it's physical labor.

Graveyards are brutal long term. Yea some graveyard jobs pay good (I get paid pretty damn good) but working 11:30pm-9am the last 15 months (worked other graveyards like 8/9pm starts before that) and it is a body and mind killer, even on your days off your body is sluggish and just doesn't feel right ever.

Longshoreman is a ridiculously hard job to get into, yes you reap the benefits and I don't want to say don't try for it but honestly look for other jobs in life that are easier to get into that may not pay nearly as much. Its like trying to win the lottery if you don't have an "in" for the company.

Edited by Russ, 01 December 2012 - 11:20 AM.

Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#98 CIA

CIA

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

You have to have a second full time job if you want to be a longshoreman. I have a friend that got in about 7 years ago but he still has another job. I think he gets about 3 shifts a week now. It's good to just have it on the side until you move up but don't rely on it to be ur main source of income.
Posted Image

#99 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

is anybody else getting a malware warning on the first page?

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#100 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:10 AM

is anybody else getting a malware warning on the first page?

Yup not sure what exactly it was though.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

#101 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Wow thats brutal, I couldn't imagine having a job where you get no work like that. I am guessing he has another job to survive but thats brutal!

He doesn't. You can't really. You have to show up every day and just hang out in hopes they have work for you.

#102 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

He doesn't. You can't really. You have to show up every day and just hang out in hopes they have work for you.

Oh wow show up every day. If it was on-call (like actually a call) it would be awful but bearable since you could work something else atleast.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

#103 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Oh wow show up every day. If it was on-call (like actually a call) it would be awful but bearable since you could work something else atleast.

Ya Im pretty sure they have a dispatch, one in the morning for the AM shifts and one in the afternoon for the PM/Graveyard shifts....

You have to show up physically at the dispatch hall I believe its on Clark & Hastings, swipe your ID card, then you are listed as active for the dispatch period, the dispatch starts, the jobs go down seniority (highest seniority being union folk get first dibs at work) then it gets passed on down the list till every position is filled.

Any user's here members?

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

#104 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Ya Im pretty sure they have a dispatch, one in the morning for the AM shifts and one in the afternoon for the PM/Graveyard shifts....

You have to show up physically at the dispatch hall I believe its on Clark & Hastings, swipe your ID card, then you are listed as active for the dispatch period, the dispatch starts, the jobs go down seniority (highest seniority being union folk get first dibs at work) then it gets passed on down the list till every position is filled.

Any user's here members?

I was in the process until they had the union dispute, everyone got scrapped pretty much, such BS cause I lost 2 yrs pretty much relying on that job thinking it was going to be my career....My brothers been a Longshoreman for 9 yrs.pops was one his whole life..we are pretty well connected there so it prob won't be long until I'm back in there...I'm pretty happy with what I do now though, Plus don't want to wait 2 plus yrs to become a reg.

13zpnd4.jpg

#105 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,243 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

I was in the process until they had the union dispute, everyone got scrapped pretty much, such BS cause I lost 2 yrs pretty much relying on that job thinking it was going to be my career....My brothers been a Longshoreman for 9 yrs.pops was one his whole life..we are pretty well connected there so it prob won't be long until I'm back in there...I'm pretty happy with what I do now though, Plus don't want to wait 2 plus yrs to become a reg

Isn't corruption supposed to at least keep itself in the shadows instead of not really carrying who notices?

#106 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Isn't corruption supposed to at least keep itself in the shadows instead of not really carrying who notices?

Well connected as in we now quite a few members that are willing to give me an application as soon as they get one..nothing corrupted there.

13zpnd4.jpg

#107 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,243 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

Well connected as in we now quite a few members that are willing to give me an application as soon as they get one..nothing corrupted there

What? You think being in an old boys network due to your family that let's you get a coveted job while others have to play a lottery isn't corruption?

I guess when your that deep inside it's hard to recognize it for what it is.

#108 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

I'm going to start applying, just to lower your odds of getting the job. Posted Image

You're a beauty.

Yet everyone there seems to be working with dad. And this includes some people I know that just got in and aren't getting many shifts in that uber corrupt system.

I vote we fire them all and start fresh with people at half the salary.

The lottery system died years ago. Nowadays, it's not about what you know, it's about who you know.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#109 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

Yeah, he just hangs out there watching movies on his lap top, or plays board games with the others. He worked only
one day in november, and hasn't worked since. He's 35 and has a mortgage and his wife is picking up all the bills but they are running low on funds and he is probably going to have to quit.

It's probably a good job to get into if you're young and live at home, otherwise it's tough.

#110 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

You're a beauty.

The lottery system died years ago. Nowadays, it's not about what you know, it's about who you know.

There's still a lotery, he had to go thru one a year ago. But it's still who you know on top of that. Sounds like people who work there can nominate people for jobs, so unless you know someone there too, you don't even get a shot at the lottery.

#111 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Saw one of those discovery channels show about the Longshoreman working those giant cranes. Looks like so much fun plus you only work 4hr shifts while getting paid out of the wazoo.

#112 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Yeah, he just hangs out there watching movies on his lap top, or plays board games with the others. He worked only
one day in november, and hasn't worked since. He's 35 and has a mortgage and his wife is picking up all the bills but they are running low on funds and he is probably going to hav to quit.

It's probably a good job to get into if you're young and live at home, otherwise it's tough.

I could not do that, I feel bad for him. One day in November is brutal. I live at home still and I honestly could not do that, even for the potential future rewards. That job would drive me insane.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

#113 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

There's still a lotery, he had to go thru one a year ago. But it's still who you know on top of that. Sounds like people who work there can nominate people for jobs, so unless you know someone there too, you don't even get a shot at the lottery.

Ya from the last time I tried applying, it works like this, the union members all get a "slip" that allows them to bring 1 person into the hiring process, the rest of the positions are filled via the lottery.

So If your in the union you can bring someone in, if your in the outside looking in you have to play the lotto.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

#114 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Heard a rumor that they are going to be hiring soon... anyone know anything?

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

#115 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

How is the port doing? Casuals getting work?

Hiring anytime soon?

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

#116 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

How is the port doing? Casuals getting work?

Hiring anytime soon?

Dude I know been there for 2 yrs rarely get's work..

13zpnd4.jpg

#117 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

Dude I know been there for 2 yrs rarely get's work..

What board are you?

I'm guessing that means no hiring anytime soon...

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

#118 tutti

tutti

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

3 years since i made this thread lol

What board are you?

I'm guessing that means no hiring anytime soon...

there was a hiring over a year ago, i didn't get selected for that. but from what i hear is that the new guys that got in are mainly union members son/daughters who think that calling daddy will save them from a foreman telling them to do something that they don't want to do. slowing down production down there, really.

many people who got in don't even go to the hall for dispatch. they are regularly short on people on many shifts. i expect another hiring in 1-2 years. i'll get in on that

#119 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

Also you'll live a life of misery as a longshoreman. Its a dead end job with junkies as your coworkers. Good luck having a work flirt because most of the woman of the shoremans have meth mouth syndrome. Say cheese.

Edited by hockeyville88, 29 September 2013 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image

#120 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

Also you'll live a life of misery as a longshoreman. Its a dead end job with junkies as your coworkers. Good luck having a work flirt because most of the woman of the shoremans have meth mouth syndrome. Say cheese.

Didn't you die in the explosion?

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.