The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Hat Trick Maker

I didn't like Oblivion's scenery. Cyrodiil was supposed to be a dense jungle, they changed it for the worse in my opinion. The world was also half the size of Morrowind.

Talos Stormcrown changed the climate to make it more hospitable. I enjoyed it because Jungles bore the heck out of me.

Cyrodiil's Landmass is actually 2 times the size of Morrowind(But nothing compares to Daggerfall). But Morrowind's dungeons were bigger. Not to mention in Oblivion there are no canyons or rivers that you have to walk around to get to the other side. Not to mention the travelling system in Morrowind was terribly flawed(I don't mean fast travel).

Oblivion's Map

TaFMh.jpg

Morrowind's Map

mpVcZ.jpg

I think it really came down to either Skyrim or Summerset Isles. They have already had games based primarily in Daggerfall/Orsinium, Morrowind, and Cyrodiil. Orsinium is in Daggerfall. Oblivion was more about Cyrodiil than Oblivion but Oblivion sounds way better. There was also a spinoff in Hammerfell. It would have been been hard to make a game world out of Argonia, Elsweyr, or Valenwood because they are mostly forests and the three races are barely civilized.

From the trailer, it says the dragons fear someone named Dovakhiin. I am pretty sure that will be your character sort of like Nerevarine in Morrowind. I kind of prefer being a nobody who rises up and saves the world without any prophecy but I just forget about it.

I hope they release an anthology or something that contains all the in-game books, manuscripts and what have you. There are just way too many of them in the game for me to read on the monitor.

But I never heard any Latin lyrics from his music before, assuming it's Latin. That's why I'm kind of excited.

It was not an in game book. Some idiot named Greg Keyes wrote a fantasy novel based in the Elder Scrolls world. The book sucked but he was totally wrong on a lot of the canon and butchered the Elder Scrolls world. A lot of provinces succeeded from the Empire in his book and some warlord takes over the Imperial City and made himself emperor. I hope the game makers completely disregard the book and that it isn't official canon.

It's nearly impossible to make an expansive and deep game like Morrowind with Mass Effect graphics. One of the two has to suffer. Either you have a deep game with crappy graphics or a visually stunning game with a "shallow" feel like Oblivion or Fable. Especially if you want to port it to the Xbox and PS3. Daggerfall was such a bad game. Morrowind is definitely the clearcut "best" game of the series. If done right, Skyrim could surpass it. Because Nords are such Bad Apples

The one thing I hope they change is the "zonal" system. I thought it was perfect in Morrowind that some zones were meant for higher levels and vice versa. It made the whole griding to make a high level character worthwhile

I just hope it doesn't feel like an Expansion.

It is getting easier to make games with good graphics with newer technology and I guess how deep it is depends on the size of the crew and the time spent. Once they have the graphics and interface done, they can get going on making the world. They need to put in any more time into the graphics unless they make new items. The construction set they use is either the same or very close to the one released for anyone to use.

I hated the leveled npc system in Oblivion. Nearing the end of the game, every enemy NPC had Daedric armor and weapons! In Morrowind, finding such weapons and armor took a long time.

Found out about this a couple of days ago as well.

Boy am I excited.... The only thing that bothers me is the setting... Since its Skyrim are we gonna just see snow snow and more snow?

Think of Scandinavia. There will be a lot of snow sort of like how there was a lot of ash in Morrowind but there should still be quite a bit of diversity.

I didn't like Oblivion's scenery. Cyrodiil was supposed to be a dense jungle, they changed it for the worse in my opinion. The world was also half the size of Morrowind.

Cyrodiil is based off of Rome so I think it would make more sense if it weren't a jungle. They retconned it with some weird story.

Like Walk The Dinosaur said, Cyrodiil is bigger. It only seems smaller because of map travel and horses. In Morrowind, you had to go to a lot of the places by foot. I hope they do something similar in Skyrim. Perhaps boat travel by fjords supplemented with horses? Map travel is convenient but it makes the world seem so much smaller.

Cyrodiil is based off of Rome so I think it would make more sense if it weren't a jungle. They retconned it with some weird story.

Like Walk The Dinosaur said, Cyrodiil is bigger. It only seems smaller because of map travel and horses. In Morrowind, you had to go to a lot of the places by foot. I hope they do something similar in Skyrim. Perhaps boat travel by fjords supplemented with horses? Map travel is convenient but it makes the world seem so much smaller.

It was described as being in dense jungle when the original team was working on it, the new team changed the lore a lot and I find they made it bland and boring.

I don't think you're going to play as Dovakhiin. Being a direct sequel, I think you'll be able to continue on with your Oblivion hero or create a brand new one(ala Baldur's Gate 2).

I wonder if the game will involve the Akaviri in some fashion what with all the "Dragon" talk. Not to mention there is a story about a Nord who traveled to Akavir and fought an entire army of one of the four kingdoms there. Not to mention a "Tsaesci" line did rule Tamriel for close to 400 years. So it is possible for them to be kicking around.

I don't think you're going to play as Dovakhiin. Being a direct sequel, I think you'll be able to continue on with your Oblivion hero or create a brand new one(ala Baldur's Gate 2).

I wonder if the game will involve the Akaviri in some fashion what with all the "Dragon" talk. Not to mention there is a story about a Nord who traveled to Akavir and fought an entire army of one of the four kingdoms there. Not to mention a "Tsaesci" line did rule Tamriel for close to 400 years. So it is possible for them to be kicking around.

It has a new engine, I doubt you'll be able to do that.

I don't understand why they would make Skyrim a direct sequel for the first time. I really hope that they don't have the same character from Oblivion.

Speaking of Akavir. People mentioned in Oblivion that Nerevarine has left to Akavir for some reason. It will be interesting to know what happened to Nerevarine.

It has a new engine, I doubt you'll be able to do that.

If they wanted to, it wouldn't be very hard transferring over the stats from the old character. The new game engine will probably have the traditional Elder Scrolls attributes and skills. I am pretty sure all the items will disappear though if they allow a character transfer.

I don't understand why they would make Skyrim a direct sequel for the first time. I really hope that they don't have the same character from Oblivion.

Speaking of Akavir. People mentioned in Oblivion that Nerevarine has left to Akavir for some reason. It will be interesting to know what happened to Nerevarine.

If they wanted to, it wouldn't be very hard transferring over the stats from the old character. The new game engine will probably have the traditional Elder Scrolls attributes and skills. I am pretty sure all the items will disappear though if they allow a character transfer.

Eh for the effort it would cause to transfer only the attributes and skills but not the items what's the point? Just customize a new character.

Eh for the effort it would cause to transfer only the attributes and skills but not the items what's the point? Just customize a new character.

Which is why i think it shouldn't be happening at all. It should just be a direct sequel plot wise but with an all new character. So the Empire is without an emperor and still reeling from it's war with Oblivion but with an all new character.

• 3 weeks later...

So they're releasing the cover for Skyrim tomorrow(January 6th) which will lead to game informer doing an entire month of covering Skyrim. So excited.

"I’ve always found it interesting that the art style for each game is a direct reaction to the previous game. After finishing Morrowind I wanted to take the Elder Scrolls in a more realistic direction, with some high fantasy elements. I brought this to Todd’s attention and surprisingly I found out we were on the same page. Similarly, at the end of Oblivion I felt the art style could go in a completely different direction, which drove the look for Shivering Isles. Once again, Todd was excited about a stylistic change and we ended up with our most unusual aesthetic since the Elder Scrolls series began. I think changing the visual style between games helps keep the series interesting for us as developers and for the people who play it. – Matt Carofano, Art Director"

:bigblush:

The latest issue of Game Informer contains fresh gameplay details on Bethesda's next massive title, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, set for release this November.

Skyrm's story is set 200 years after the events of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and the world of Tamriel is in shambles. The empire has fallen to the elves, the Blades are gone, the Nords hate each other, and a civil war is about the break out. Oh, and that big dragon the Elder Scrolls prophesied about? Yeah, he's arrived, too. Players will take control of the last remaining Dragonborn, a dragon hunter anointed by the gods to help fend off the threat.

Bethesda's newest title features a brand-spanking new engine where every object in the game now casts a shadow as well as improved draw-distances. Textures are sharper and more detailed and the environments are livelier. There's also the addition of a HUD-less first-person view and "improved" third-person camera option.

There will be five massive cities that span Skyrim's environment, which ranges from frozen tundra to rocky mountain tops. There is also new wildlife, such as Sabre-toothed Cats and Wooly Mammoths.

The combat is getting a bit of an overhaul, too. Players will be able to equip any weapon or spell to either hand at any time and even duel wield two of the same weapon. A new customizable menu is being added to help swap load-outs easily in battle.

Bethesda has also done away with the character class system and reworked the game's leveling mechanic. Players' skills will level up the more they are used, contributing to your overall level growth. "Raising one skill from 34 to 35 is going to level you faster than raising one from 11 to 12," Bethesda designer Todd Howard told the magazine. Players can also level pass 50, but it becomes much slower after that point.

The team has also added Fallout 3's perk system, where each new level gained allows players to add special abilities to their character, including increase in damage to dagger stealth attacks or allowing your mace to ignore enemy armor.

Skyrim's NPC conversations are a lot more realistic. Aside from including even more voice actors, the AI-controlled characters will actually move about and continue on with the activities they were doing before being interrupted. Towns also include more activities to do, such farming, mining, woodcutting and cooking.

Bethesda also revamped the game's menu system. Howard said the team used Apple's iTunes as inspiration and direction. Players will be greeted with a compass-style overlay with four options: Skill, Inventory, Map, and Magic. Weapons and spells can be tagged as a 'favorite' for quick selection. Every item is a 3D object than can be viewed and examined.

Check out the latest issue of Game Informer for additional details.

Skyrim is set for release on November 11, 2011 for Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation 3.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1143498p1.html

Sry if this doesn't look right. I'm useing my iPod

Archived