The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Playoff Indicator Chart 2011

cleowin

Yesterday I was very confused with the Magic Number chart. We lost in a shootout meaning we only get 1 points, but how does that translate to the chart? Please explain.

The magic numbers are wins. Yesterday we needed a combination of 29.5 Vancouver wins and Edmonton loses to ensure we finish ahead of them. A win is 2 points, a shootout loss is 1 point, so last night we got "half a win" so the magic number over Edmonton changed by 0.5

Your numbers don't agree with these:

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/westernwinmagicnumbers.html

and I think the difference between the two comes from the fact that if you take Detroit as an exemple, it's impossible for vancouver to win it all AND detroit to win it all because there is still a game between those two where one will a least loose a point, but then it begins to be really complicated.

Your numbers don't agree with these:

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/westernwinmagicnumbers.html

and I think the difference between the two comes from the fact that if you take Detroit as an exemple, it's impossible for vancouver to win it all AND detroit to win it all because there is still a game between those two where one will a least loose a point, but then it begins to be really complicated.

I don't really know how those magic numbers work. The one you posted doesn't have a magic number for Detroit to win the west the way I read it. And this one is Canucks specific, not the entire conference.

No, which is logical, because Detroit "doesn't control its destiny" when it comes to winning the west: even if they win all their games (even the one against the canucks) we can still be first if we will all the other ones because we are three points ahead of them, with one game in hand.

Well, the first line IS Canucks-specific ;o)

That website says the Canucks need to win 37 consecutive games to win the west, which makes somewhat sense. This magic number has the Canucks at 38 to beat Detroit, but one of the next 37 is VS Detroit which is where that difference comes from.

Im guessing when Detroit loses, that consecutive win streak comes down by 1. The only thing is the games don't need to be consecutive like the site says, but instead it's 37 more this season.

^^^

What are you asking? The numbers are completely different since that was posted.

Right now under Detroit it's 38. If you find the chart complicated, ignore everything but "Magic #". This number is the combination of Canucks wins + Detroit loses needed to finish ahead of the Red Wings. Say Vancouver wins 20 more games this season, and Detroit loses 18 more, there's no way they can finish ahead of us. Every time the Canucks win, that number goes down by 1. Every time the Wings lose in Regulation, that number goes down by 1. Every time either team loses in extra time, tat number goes down by 0.5

Theres nothing complicated about the chart. If you use the formula, you'll realize that that number simply states how many combinations of wins/losses we need to beat that specific team. Every time Vancouver picks up a victory, all other teams lose 1.0 Point, if they lose in OT/SO, all teams lose 0.5 Points. For every game a team loses in regulation, they lose 1.0 Points and for every OT/SO loss, they lose 0.5 Points for a maximum of 2.0 Point losses when Vancouver plays.

Archived