The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC member Workout Routines

WHL rocks

Yea it's still effective even without the weight, but you just have to get the form down first. Like you're going to sit down on a chair, knees don't pass your toes, toes pointed outwards slightly. That sorta thing, arms are weird with squats, you could try putting them behind your head, or straight out in front of your for some balance because it can be sorta hard to stay standing when doing them. But it's really just a matter of what's more comfortable for you.

I know how ya feel. Basically just treat it like any other muscle group, work it twice a week tops, and strength generally comes from a higher weight lower repetition program so something like this twice a week would help:

3 sets of 5 reps - Weighted Crunches lying on the floor with dumbbell on your chest.

3 sets of 5 reps - Leg raises lying on the floor with a partner pushing your feet back down hard and you stopping them before they hit the ground.

Gradually increase the weight each time you do both of these as long as you hit all the reps, and have at least a days rest in between ab workouts.

Just a little extra work for endurance; Go on the leg raise machine (blanking on the name) where you prop yourself up on your forearms with your back against a cushion and extend your legs out straight in front of you and hold for as long as you can. This will take practice so start with just your knees up, then move on to one knee up, one leg extended, and then go for both legs. Increase the time you hold your legs in position for by as little as a few seconds a week and your abs will be tough as nails!

Also, don't forget that almost all compound exercises, like squats, dead lifts, bench press, military press, etc. will all incorporate your abs as well so don't forget to keep those in your routine.

I absolutely despise sit-ups and crunches, but I do them anyways, but not many haha. What do you recommend for non-gym, core exercises you could do at home.

Recently switched to a twice a week, full body workout

1 set of all exercises to failure

5 minute run

Dumbbell bench press

Dumbbell shoulder press

machine chest flys

Dumbbell bicep curls

Cable tricep pushdown

Squats

Deadlifts

lat pulldowns

Calf raises

shrugs

doesn't take longer than 45 minutes.

do crunches on off days

Great workout for those that don't have much time, working great so far :towel:

Recently switched to a twice a week, full body workout

1 set of all exercises to failure

5 minute run

Dumbbell bench press

Dumbbell shoulder press

machine chest flys

Dumbbell bicep curls

Cable tricep pushdown

Squats

Deadlifts

lat pulldowns

Calf raises

shrugs

doesn't take longer than 45 minutes.

do crunches on off days

Great workout for those that don't have much time, working great so far :towel:

Don't listen to this guy. The above sentence is absolute horsesh!t.

Muscle follows strength, not the other way around. The only way to get strong is by continuously upping the weight on the bar. Period.

For scientific advice on fitness, I'll offer two website recommendations:

Read these two sites. This is really all the information that you need to know about fitness. Don't listen to this guy.

It's true. It was on the radio as well to 'improving your appearance'.

I've also had a physician confirm this and based on my personal experience which is why I don't eat that crap and resort to drinking soy milk.

Archived