The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Community!

GodzillaDeuce

Wrapping most of my post in spoiler tags because it's stupidly long and no one wants to read my essay. Yeah, it's probably time for bed.

Ahaha. Yeah, Britta has always been my favourite character. I actually forgot this was a holiday episode. I know..there were constant reminders, but it just seemed like a regular episode with a Halloween theme...as opposed to the usual extravagent Community Holiday episodes. I hope they do a paintball one again for the finale, those are always way epic.

Not me, I quite honestly hated her at the beginning. For the first little while it seemed like they were like oooh, look at this snarky blonde girl with the high heels and cigarettes, isn't she so cool? And at the beginning she wasn't so much a character as she was this marvelously unattainable thing that Jeff Winger was trying to bang. No thanks. But around the time where she couldn't pronounce bagel correctly*, and her epic escapades in the April Fools episode ("Knock knock.. Who's there? Cancer. Oh good, come on in, I thought it was Britta!") I completely fell in love with her. Now everyone rags on her like she's the worst ???? person ever, and it's incredible. I think I like her even more than Abed now.

*Side note: I didn't know how to pronounce bagel correctly either. My dad made fun of me for it my whole life and never told me what I was doing wrong. I feel much better now.

Latest episode was good, but IMO the timelines one has easily become one of my faves

Community is pretty much the most innovative show out there. I can't believe it's not more widely known and hasn't garnered much recognition. I mean, and this is just my opinion, but I've seen all the common contenders for awards (ie. Modern Family, Glee) and they just aren't as good as Community on a consistent basis. I just wish they could win an award to maybe gain some more viewers because if it gets cancelled I think a part of me will die. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE MISSING, PEOPLE!

The timeline episode was great but I still like the paintball ones the best. :P

They need to make sure they include Abed and Troy in most episodes because, IMO, shows that focus on Annie / Britta / Jeff aren't always that entertaining. However, Britta is definitely better this season :lol:

I find the angle between Annie and Jeff... weird. Would rather have Annie trying to court Troy again. :P

I know what you mean about Abed/Troy, but those two are having some little adventure of some kind every episode. It's not like they ever practically disappear like Shirley does from time to time. And there's still got to be some sort of serious (though not really) arc through the season, and romance is a pretty easy one. There has been a pretty heavy focus on it for the beginning though and it has bogged down a few of the episodes, but it is just the beginning and I imagine it will die down. People have complained about a slow start this year but the first two seasons started that way too and it all worked out in the end.

And as far as Jeff and Annie goes, I actually prefer it to Jeff and Britta. If I had it my way it would be Jeff/Annie and Troy/Britta. The age difference doesn't bother me at all. I know they dress Britta up to look older and Annie to look younger, but Gillian Jacobs and Alison Brie are actually only like a year apart in age (and they're both way younger than Jeff/Joel McHale). Annie and Jeff are what, like fifteen years apart on the show? TV's certainly seen weirder than that. That being said, I certainly get where you're coming from, and the show doesn't pretend like Jeff and Annie aren't inherently creepy.

Troy... never seemed to really like Annie. Understandable, because she's nuts. He seems to have a crush on Britta though and the two of them are surprisingly cute IMO. Not as cute as Troy/Abed though. :P

Ah, but they're just my opinions, and for every couple on the show it seems like there's someone who loves them and someone who's totally repulsed. In the end I don't really care about who ends up with who as long as it stays this amazing.

Can someone PM me a link to a safe website where I can watch all the episodes for free online?

Cannot seem to find one.

Hopefully you have Netflix. That's where I started watching it, by accident (and I've never looked back). But if you can't find a link in the next few days PM me. As you can tell from my sermon and response to virtually everyone in this thread, I kind of adore the show and want to recruit as many new viewers as humanly possible.

:)

I'm curious what everyone's five favorite episodes are. Mine are: 1. Dungeons and Dragons 2. Paradigms of Human Memory 3. Modern Warfare 4. Remedial Chaos Theory 5. A Fistful of Paintballs

Community is pretty much the most innovative show out there. I can't believe it's not more widely known and hasn't garnered much recognition. I mean, and this is just my opinion, but I've seen all the common contenders for awards (ie. Modern Family, Glee) and they just aren't as good as Community on a consistent basis. I just wish they could win an award to maybe gain some more viewers because if it gets cancelled I think a part of me will die. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE MISSING, PEOPLE!

I agree that Community is definitely innovative and for the most part under-appreciated, but to me Modern Family is a notch above; it's already one of my favorite shows of all time. It's a show that never has a bad episode, and I can only say that about Friends, King of Queens and the first half of The Simpsons... elite company. :P

Community is brilliant for the most part but some episodes end up being rather dull. But I guess it doesn't help that I haven't even seen most of the movies they spoof -_-.

Abed as Troy: "I like football... but also, I don't"

also, lol @ pierce's dad's funeral taking place within 24 hrs

Jeff: How old are you guys?

Troy: The question isn't how old we are, but when old we are.

:lol:

Either Jeff and Britta were talking too fast or their banter just wasn't as funny this week. The B plot with Troy was waaaaay better. I could easily watch a TV show where the thread of the entire season is one man's struggle to find his true calling: plumbing or air conditioning repair.

The episode kind of reminded me of the one with Troy's birthday last season. The first time it seemed kind of dark and unresolved, then I watched it again and loved it. I hope the same thing will happen with this one. The best parts for me were the end tag (the whole thing broke me) and Troy and Abed talking about Superman.

I should clarify that I actually like Modern Family and watch it every week. The first season was flawless and it deserved an Emmy, but I feel like ever since then they've been relying on the same jokes a lot, and it's just a little more predictable than Community. And it could just be jealousy, because I know what an Emmy would do for a show as perilously close to cancellation as Community. I will give it credit though for doing something Community has never really done for me, which is get me emotionally. It sounds stupid, but I like when TV shows make me cry (and I have tear ducts like Alison Brie, so I'm pretty easy to get) and Community has never really come close to doing that for me. The closest was during Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas (didn't include that in my top five, silly). It's okay because I like it for so many other reasons, but I would bet that is at least a small part of why they've never won.

No apologies for Glee though.

I should clarify that I actually like Modern Family and watch it every week. The first season was flawless and it deserved an Emmy, but I feel like ever since then they've been relying on the same jokes a lot, and it's just a little more predictable than Community. And it could just be jealousy, because I know what an Emmy would do for a show as perilously close to cancellation as Community. I will give it credit though for doing something Community has never really done for me, which is get me emotionally. It sounds stupid, but I like when TV shows make me cry (and I have tear ducts like Alison Brie, so I'm pretty easy to get) and Community has never really come close to doing that for me. The closest was during Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas (didn't include that in my top five, silly). It's okay because I like it for so many other reasons, but I would bet that is at least a small part of why they've never won.

No apologies for Glee though.

I don't think that's just Community, though... that's just how shows are nowadays.

Older shows like Friends, Home Improvement, Fresh Prince, etc. could make you laugh as much as any of the top shows right now, but they had other levels.

The Office has a little of it, and yeah, so does Modern Family, but not much. Shows like Community and The Big Bang Theory are just pure comedies, nothing more.

I don't think that's just Community, though... that's just how shows are nowadays.

Older shows like Friends, Home Improvement, Fresh Prince, etc. could make you laugh as much as any of the top shows right now, but they had other levels.

The Office has a little of it, and yeah, so does Modern Family, but not much. Shows like Community and The Big Bang Theory are just pure comedies, nothing more.

Community is so much deeper than a pure comedy...

Reading reports that the show's teetering on the edge of the chopping block. No doubt the show is pure genius, but for whatever reason the ratings are quite crappy.

I find that the problem with shows like Community (and Arrested Development)is that they are simply just too clever for their own good. The jokes aren't always obvious and although it really is based on a group of characters acting like idiots, it's done in a very smart way. I guess not everyone can understand or appreciate that kind of humour.

Part of Community's lack of success has to be the crappy marketing they receive from their equally crappy network (many people I've talked to didn't even know the show existed before I told them about it). The other part is probably that it's just a little too weird for some people. Almost everyone I've tried to recruit as a viewer has turned out to be a big fan, but for a few it was a little too fast paced. I don't want to say it's too smart of a comedy for them, because I fear I might come across as pretentious, but... those people...

tumblr_ltxdfuJGc71qd0s3a.gif

I find that the problem with shows like Community (and Arrested Development)is that they are simply just too clever for their own good. The jokes aren't always obvious and although it really is based on a group of characters acting like idiots, it's done in a very smart way. I guess not everyone can understand or appreciate that kind of humour.

That's exactly how I feel.

My mom, for instance; while she's watching TV she's frequently on the computer (playing something called Ikarium, don't even get me started) and she prefers shows where she can look down at her computer screen for half the show and still understand what's going on. She doesn't watch any comedies I'm pretty sure and her favorite funny movies are Mamma Mia and (ugh) The Tooth Fairy. It didn't work out well when I tried to get her to watch Community, unsurprisingly.

Edit: But on the plus side relating to Arrested Development, they only had three seasons and now they're making a movie, so there is always hope IF Community gets cancelled.

That's exactly how I feel.

My mom, for instance; while she's watching TV she's frequently on the computer (playing something called Ikarium, don't even get me started) and she prefers shows where she can look down at her computer screen for half the show and still understand what's going on. She doesn't watch any comedies I'm pretty sure and her favorite funny movies are Mamma Mia and (ugh) The Tooth Fairy. It didn't work out well when I tried to get her to watch Community, unsurprisingly.

Edit: But on the plus side relating to Arrested Development, they only had three seasons and now they're making a movie, so there is always hope IF Community gets cancelled.

i tried to introduce my Mom to Arrested Development, but she likes to look down at her KNITTING for half a show, so same deal there. Won't bother showing her Community.

Archived