The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Comparing Cody Hodgson to Claude Giroux**

carlweezer

Except Giroux is leaps and bounds more skilled.

You are dumber than a bag of moose antlers. How can you compare a player who has 240 games in the NHL to Hodgson who has 35. Give your head a shake. Of course Giroux is more skilled because he has more experience, about 200 more NHL games and gets a hell of a lot more ice time in a game. The OP was trying to draw a parallel between the two players and note some similarities. You missed the drift and spewed your negativity. Your comment adds nothing to the thread that we don't already know which prompts me to ask the question why you even posted your response.

Secondly, Giroux has been playing on a line with more skilled players for the last 2 years. Would that also make him appear to be more skilled. I suggest if Cody played with more skilled players he would have several more goals and points this year as well. You and many others dismiss Hodgson to easily. Try posting about Hodgson in a couple of years when we have all had a chance to appreciate him and what he does for team. By then we will all know for sure that your are full of BS.

OK ... I get the part where the backgrounds sound somewhat similar, but I'd have to disagree. First off, CoHo is far faaaaaar removed from leading the NHL in scoring, I won't rule that out but even if it happens it won't any time soon.

Secondly, your little timeline loses its integrity when you get to the part of putting Giroux on the top line, b/c that's just not going to happen with CoHo with the way this team is built right now. We're not trading away the Sedins the way the Flyers shipped Carter and Richards. No way. These guys are Canucks for life and I will be absolutely shocked if we don't end up seeing big posters marked 22 and 33 side-by-side up in the rafters.

You rule out the possibility of injuries to a player on the first line. Never say never my friend as it just might happen CoHo earns his way up to the first line (probably the second line) for a peek to fill in for an injury or two. That may be a couple of years down the road but once again, you are another fan who dismisses Hodgson and his potential far to easily. It is my bet that by midway into the season Giroux will not be the scoring leader. He is destined to experience a lull in his production like all players on a tear do over the course of a season.

You rule out the possibility of injuries to a player on the first line. Never say never my friend as it just might happen CoHo earns his way up to the first line (probably the second line) for a peek to fill in for an injury or two. That may be a couple of years down the road but once again, you are another fan who dismisses Hodgson and his potential far to easily. It is my bet that by midway into the season Giroux will not be the scoring leader. He is destined to experience a lull in his production like all players on a tear do over the course of a season.

Really? Since when did I dismiss his potential? Obviously you misread/misinterpreted my post.

Of course Hodgson has great potential, but in terms of ice time, and by extension his point totals, it's extremely limited by this teams depth. You can see it right now, if he wasn't playing behind some great players he would be eating up all the ice time he can get, the same way Nugent-Hopkins does in Edmonton.

Sure I never ruled out the possibility of injuries, but at length it's an 82 game season and unless the Sedins and Kesler are both either out for the whole season or magically traded, Hodgson cannot produce at Giroux's level in 2 years. That's just not realistic. You can try telling me otherwise, but there's no logical basis for that. But for the heck of it, I encourage you to chew on this tell me I'm wrong statement: Hodgson will be a great player, but he will NOT be leading the league in scoring in two seasons.

I think Raymond will stay with Booth and Kes

then Hodgson will have Hansen and Higgins. Great checking line with finish capability

That is how I think it will play out for the rest of the season as well. AV will not disturb the chemistry our second line is having together unless it goes for a dump. Why screw up two lines for one player. Chemistry is what makes teams win and you don't to to fix somethin' when it ain't broke.

who says they are getting traded?

I was comparing how Giroux started on the 3rd line , same with Hodgson.

Except the comparison loses its basis when you get to the part where Giroux becomes a first liner. If Hodgson becomes a first liner in only a matter of 2 years, something catastrophic will have to happen to the Sedins and Kesler between now and then. In all likelihood, it will take a lot longer for that to become a realistic option.

Really? Since when did I dismiss his potential? Obviously you misread/misinterpreted my post.

Of course Hodgson has great potential, but in terms of ice time, and by extension his point totals, it's extremely limited by this teams depth. You can see it right now, if he wasn't playing behind some great players he would be eating up all the ice time he gets, the way Nugent-Hopkins does in Edmonton.

Sure I never ruled out the possibility of injuries, but at length it's an 82 game season and unless the Sedins and Kesler are both either out for the whole season or magically traded, Hodgson cannot produce at Giroux's level in 2 years. That's just not realistic. You can try telling me otherwise, but there's no logical basis for that. But for the heck of it, I encourage you to chew on this tell me I'm wrong statement: Hodgson will be a great player, but he will NOT be leading the league in scoring in two seasons.

3 years ago when Giroux scored 47 pts his 1st year could you tell me that Giroux will be better than Thornton or Brad Richards.???? no logical basis back then either.

We've already seen Hodgson do well on the 2nd line with Kesler this season. Raymond has been playing lights out of late, but Hodgson could easily slot in on the second in coming seasons. From there, it's only a small step from first line minutes, even if those come only as a temporary switch due to a slumping Burrows, or an injury to a Sedin. It's not likely, with the current roster, but trades and free agency could make some decent changes, and the Sedins aren't the only players in the picture. Nor is Kesler guaranteed to be here in a few years.

Ya... if you make that comparison then Hodgson sucks monkey nuts.

I can't believe folks on here that need to think that every prospect is going to be an elite franchise guy who will lead the league at their position.

Hodgson has supplanted Malhotra on the 3rd line (partially due to Malhotra falling off)... that is an amazing accomplishment for a rookie. If he can become a solid 3rd line centre and that is all he ever does in his career, then that is a remarkable achievement for a guy drafted in his position.... anything beyond that is gravy and shouldn't be expected.

3 years ago when Giroux scored 47 pts his 1st year could you tell me that Giroux will be better than Thornton or Brad Richards.???? no logical basis back then either.

Ah, but you are looking solely at Giroux. I never said that Hodgson can't reach that level if he was to be given the opportunity, just that he won't as that opportunity won't come.

I realize that Hodgson has the capacity for that sort of thing, but will it be untapped in two years, with this kind of team? NO. There are different circumstances surrounding Hodgson vs. Giroux.

Carter + Richards =/= Sedin + Sedin + Kesler

Try again.

Ah, but you are looking solely at Giroux. I never said that Hodgson can't reach that level if he was to be given the opportunity, just that he won't as that opportunity won't come.

I realize that Hodgson has the capacity for that sort of thing, but will it be untapped in two years, with this kind of team? NO. There are different circumstances surrounding Hodgson vs. Giroux.

Carter + Richards =/= Sedin + Sedin + Kesler

Try again.

how about Philly went to the cup as well??

Ya... if you make that comparison then Hodgson sucks monkey nuts.

I can't believe folks on here that need to think that every prospect is going to be an elite franchise guy who will lead the league at their position.

Hodgson has supplanted Malhotra on the 3rd line (partially due to Malhotra falling off)... that is an amazing accomplishment for a rookie. If he can become a solid 3rd line centre and that is all he ever does in his career, then that is a remarkable achievement for a guy drafted in his position.

I couldnt disagree more, Cody is drafted 10th overall! and he was drafted for his vision, playmaking, and leadership abilities... If all he ever accomplishes is 3rd line Centre then I for one will be very disappointed and will consider him a bust.

I couldnt disagree more, Cody is drafted 10th overall! and he was drafted for his vision, playmaking, and leadership abilities... If all he ever accomplishes is 3rd line Centre then I for one will be very disappointed and will consider him a bust.

Then you are delusional and have no concept of how draft picks turn out historically. Beyond the lottery picks you are basically looking at a crap shoot as to who turns out or not.

A #10 pick historically has almost no chance to be a franchise player and would be expected to fall in the fringe NHLer to Regular (bottom of the roster) player.

Here is a story that I have posted several times before that explains it. Of course, as a delusional person I would assume that your answer would be "but Hodgson is an exception and is better than his draft position indicates!" I have heard that about every Canucks 1st rounder in the past 20 years and it doesn't tend to turn out to be true.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282241

I have seen this story play out over and over... people have ridiculous expectations, then when reality hits they blame the player, coach, management. linemates.... pretty much anyone in the organization. Instead they should be blaming their expectations that are based on nothing but fantasy.

The thing that's surprised me most about Hodgson is how when he engages defenders on the boards, he almost always ends up with the puck. It takes a lot of skill and practice to use body positioning and angles to know where the puck will end up and be able to get position on a defender, and even then it takes strength and size, something most rookies lack. His vision is a close second.

It's a bit early to bring out the comparisons, but let's just say that Hodgson's future looks bright.

Of course Hodgson has great potential, but in terms of ice time, and by extension his point totals, it's extremely limited by this teams depth. You can see it right now, if he wasn't playing behind some great players he would be eating up all the ice time he gets, the way Nugent-Hopkins does in Edmonton.

"Secondly, your little timeline loses its integrity when you get to the part of putting Giroux on the top line, b/c that's just not going to happen with CoHo"

I have copied and pasted what you said. How can those words be interpreted any differently than how I interpreted them.

You may be right but I bet you would not wager one year's salary on your comment either. That is what makes the internet so inviting to those who will go out on a limb and make ridiculous predictions. They lose nothing if they are wrong and it is a lot of fun to try to bolster up their ego in the eyes of those who don't know them from Adam. Anything is possible and anyone who does not agree will argue just for the sake of arguement just to build up that ego I spoke of.

As I said before, you are dismissing Hodgson far to easily because like me, you really don't have a clue how things will turn out with him. You are judging him simply by his rookie record. Was Giroux CHL player of the year; the OHL MVP. I do not see the awards in his resume that I see in Hodgson's history as a junior. My point is, you cannot predict the future so why even give me a silly little tell me I'm wrong statement to chew on as it only makes you look silly. I will agree that Giroux has proved himself to be a dandy and just maybe so will Cody. Who can ever say for sure and that is my point.

Giroux, at this point both has blinding speed AND he's playing the game aggressively.

When I've watched Philly he pushes the puck straight to the net and up the ice hard. What he really remind's me of is a miniature Kesler; who has Hodgsons playmaking skills. Joe Sakic would be a better comparison? It allows him to score like Kess and distribute like Hodgson.

Oh; Leaps and bounds NO, CoHo is pretty talented! What a pretty slapshot goal he scored yesterday. But it will be fun to see how Hodgson matures. He has a unique ability to slow a play down and let plays develop. If he can add pace and start forcing plays also, like Giroux, he will be pretty exciting. Giroux appears he will MVP this year? I've been one of Hodgson's stronger supporters here on CDC (and I'm defending him here smile.gif). But i dont project him that far up the food chain either.

Cheers

Archived