The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Christians Reconcile Their Personal Political Views And The Teachings Of Their Faith:

I share in your downcast and hope things will work out.

Church is never easy, and differences will always seem to pop out more than commonalities. Bad news always sticks through the good stuff as well. To be quite honest, I think despite all the cultures and all the histories of people, it is truly a miracle that the core beliefs ARE constant.

We humans are prone to fail with power, and it's true that church leaders breed disagreement. It's just how the nature of humanity works. We all have ideas, plus we oppose change. We resist things that are different. Ironically, the church is all about change. So, I agree with you that there is much disagreement and divisiveness in the church. Is that a bad thing? I believe change is necessary, and conflict resolution is the way to get there.

first of all i would like to thank you for the empathy you have shown to me , it speaks volumes about what sort of person you are.

i was adopted and raised by catholics , my mother and father are the kindest , gentle most peacefull people you will meet , they have given a huge percentage of the wealth they have generated through their lives to the church , they have shown me by example how to be a good person ,and to treat others the way i expect to be treated myself . the other families i grew up with, and went to church with as a child where much the same . it was my first real contact with the clergy that soured my relationship with the church . i was in grade 2 , and after misbehaving in class i was told by a [carmelite] nun that i was a dirty little bastard . it was not until six years later , when i was told by my parents iwas adopted that i realised what she was saying to me . through high school i recieved many a beating for daring to put forward ideas like , maybe we did not all come from adam and eve , maybe we evovled from the ramapithcene apes like charles darwin advocated .now i know i was being a bit of a smartass , but i was dragged up the front of class had my shorts pulled down and beaten with a t-square, like joe stalin said , idea's are more powerfull than guns , we do not allow our enemies to have guns why should we allow them idea's.

pope paul the sixth came to our country in 1972 , i went and saw him speak ,and even though i was only 8 years old i realised he was a man of great compassion and had views and policies that were both modern and just .under him the church made progressive steps forward . then he died . the next pope was a hard liner and rolled back many of the reforms paul had made . that leaves us with benedict .when looking up the vaticans prosrcibed book list i found that when paul basically said there was no books that were banned from being read , cardinal ratzinger [benedict] spoke out against his spirtual leader saying there were some books people should never read .

i know you are intelligent enough to see where i am going with this and i have to log off on this computer because my beautiful girl needs it but i will log on shortly on another computer .

If I could explain God, then it would undermine everything of who God is.

I don't know why God gives, and takes away. I don't know why the sun goes up, and then goes down. I don't know why I need to sleep. I'd love to work all day and not get tired.

My best guess is that, if God's identity is different for different cultures, it's probably because no one culture has it entirely complete. My second guess, is that everyone needs to experience God differently. God comes to us in our own way. Maybe for me it's through intuition and family. Maybe for you it's work related and/or money related. To someone else, maybe it's through misery and loss. Let me ask you, if you could imagine an infinite potential being, could this entity be able to approach everyone differently?

Wow touching on the area of Pope and representation of God is something I did not expect...

Well.. where exactly are you going with that? I can see a sense of frustration in your childhood, and then seeing how it all comes from a lacklustre religion. A religion that is even poorly received due to its change of papacy and reformations. If you are upset with all that, then I agree with you. Religion has always been the biggest cancer to the teachings of Jesus.. it's true. I'm as equally frustrated as the next person in terms of man-made religion that we slap the title "Christianity" to. I try not to represent that. I try to represent the person of Christ and how he taught us to love and be merciful.

i was looking at the vaticans website a couple of years ago and one of the cardinals who is a member of the curia basically said that the church wants it's power back, that it wants what they used to have and what the islamic mullahs still have , political power and the respect [though fear , you will burn in hell if you do not follow our laws] , and they were encouraging political leaders all around the world who are believers to push their values and beliefs, with in monnths of reading this we had state[like your province ] elections where the catholic church were running advertisements backing the liberals [ ironicaly the liberals are the conservative side of polotics over here ]. the nations oppositions leader [liberal] tony abott is very open about his faith , often having public meetings with the church leaders , jesuits [ they consider themselves the intellectual elite of the catholic church] and the policies he is pushing disgust me . the treatment of asylum seekers , backing the rich [ and i mean the incredibly rich andrew forrest , clive palmer and gina rhinehart , who are all buying stakes in tv stations and other media outlets, in order to persuade us it is alright for them to make billions from the selling off of our national resources , and not gvie the australian people much back in return and if we whine to much they will take the jobs they create elsewhere ] .

this all really scares me , and put this together with hard liners in islam gaining followers in their countries all around the world [ through telling them that we are a bunch of souless freaks that value nothing in our throw away society , which is hard to argue with sometimes ] is making for a big clash between these rival religions that has been going on since the crusades [ where we in the west back then went over there and raped and pillaged our way through their world , all in the name of christ ]

i have just seen the time and i should go to work , i am really looking forward to your reply and to see what you think aboout all of this

all the best mate .

Archived