The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Christians Reconcile Their Personal Political Views And The Teachings Of Their Faith:

Who says i disappeared? I'm laughing my ass off at how you think that a book should not have multiple interpretations, even though literary scholars argue about these types of things all the time.

I'm here now, aren't I?

edit: I acknowledge that that's multiple interpretations, and we see that very evidently through the various translations and versions of the Bible. However, that should not be justification for any major divide between Churistian subgroups.

i've no consideration ,zero mutual respect

for the billions who suffer from rational thought neglect

i dont wanna waste a sentence , i don't want a conversation

that's gonna end in disdain disbelief and aggravation

and i find it's getting harder to hang out

with grown adults that actually believe

in santa clause and noah's ark and their god is the best

my distaste has turned into detest

who would read a 2000 year old medical journal

techniques for bloodletting, advice on trichinosis

wuold you navigate the globe with a map of a flat earth

without dna testing , would you believe virgin birth

i find it's getting painfull to put up

with grown adults who actually believe

in unicorns and creation and god always takes their side

that's when my innocent jabbing turns snide

thank god for the grammy thank god for the touchdown

thank god for blowing up the enemy's sacred ground

so how i am i supposed to take anything you say seriously?

when you've swapped free will for faith , hope and pre-destiny

and it's getting agonizing to hang out

with grown adults who actually believe

mythology and history trump physics and science

my aversion has turned to abhorrence

Man is fallible...that man can take what was supposed to be God-inspired and pervert it into a sorry version of the original (ie. the Creation Story + the Fall of Man) speaks for itself.

If you don't believe there should be multiple interpretations, why not? After all, God spoke to his people in the Old and New Testament in many ways (ie. burning bush, rainbows, appearing directly from the sky), showing that God appears to his people in a way that is relevant to them.

Yes, god communicated vie a number of ways in the bible, however we're not in the bible, but the real world. Here, the only means of communication that god provided is the bible. Now I may be completely off, but I always thought the bible teaches how to be like Jesus, how to live a Christian life, and how to get to heaven. Seem like important aspects of a religion, right? So why the varying interpretations? Should god's word change with culture? Did god inspire the bible for all time, or for contemporary sand dwellers of 2000 years ago? Old Testament is already pulled out only when convenient, and most Christians could give a damn what's in it.

fat mike wrote that , i am a bit discombobulated at the moment due to the fact my partner and i have been denied any more attempts at IVF and we are a little bit devostated and i am having a little trouble with my focus . if you have read all my posts you will know where i stand . please do not be offended i really do not want to offend , just inject a little humour into a very serious subject . i really do respect other people beliefs , and more importantly their right to have those beliefs , as pablo neruda said , "they came for the blacks and i did not say a thing , they came for the jews and i did not say a thing , funny when they came for me there was nobody left to say anything , pablo lived in franco's spain . i really believe that religions are very divisive mechanisms , they seem to me to highlight the differences we have , rather than the things we share in common , this is does not seem to happen at the congregational level , it is the leaders of these religions that use divisive ideas , and try to control the flow of information in order to maintain a level of control over their fellow believers .

i have to go to work now but i would love to talk about this with you , you seem to be a knowledgeable and reasonable person

fat mike wrote that , i am a bit discombobulated at the moment due to the fact my partner and i have been denied any more attempts at IVF and we are a little bit devostated and i am having a little trouble with my focus . if you have read all my posts you will know where i stand . please do not be offended i really do not want to offend , just inject a little humour into a very serious subject . i really do respect other people beliefs , and more importantly their right to have those beliefs , as pablo neruda said , "they came for the blacks and i did not say a thing , they came for the jews and i did not say a thing , funny when they came for me there was nobody left to say anything , pablo lived in franco's spain . i really believe that religions are very divisive mechanisms , they seem to me to highlight the differences we have , rather than the things we share in common , this is does not seem to happen at the congregational level , it is the leaders of these religions that use divisive ideas , and try to control the flow of information in order to maintain a level of control over their fellow believers .

i have to go to work now but i would love to talk about this with you , you seem to be a knowledgeable and reasonable person

Who says i disappeared? I'm laughing my ass off at how you think that a book should not have multiple interpretations, even though literary scholars argue about these types of things all the time.

I'm here now, aren't I?

edit: I acknowledge that that's multiple interpretations, and we see that very evidently through the various translations and versions of the Bible. However, that should not be justification for any major divide between Christian subgroups.

The Christian Bible is a collective of works that range from historical narrative, prophetic language, poetry, to epistles. All of it is important because we need to unearth the intended meaning of Jesus and people who wrote on Jesus. Therefore, since Jesus and the people who wrote on Jesus were familiar with current day Old Testament (their actual bible), then we ought to use it for reference and scripture as well.

God's Word does not change with culture. But rather the medium of which it is presented is changed. However, this is a different point I made back in post #69 that you ought to respond to.

All cultures are different. All interpretation is a little different too. So therefore, God's Word is distorted through culture. These are fundamental basics of anthropology and the study of cultures.

Archived