The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

While I Disagree With Shanny's Decision, He's Not The Enemy Of The Game Here.

drukes1234

In the refs defence, hits like these happen within a split second and they may not be looking either which is why they aren't called properly.

This is why coaches should be able to give it to the refs, let them know what they missed and they can check it on replay to penalize a hit like this fairly on the ice. Shanahan has hours to look over the tape, the refs are too busy focussing on the play unfolding to notice hits away from the puck anyway. Video replay would make this fairer, because a 2 minute penalty for an intentional headshot like that is a joke.

I still believe something like that deserved a 5 minute major, game misconduct and 10 game suspension. The only thing Keith could have done that is worse than a deliberate elbow to the head with intent to injure is what Bertuzzi did.

Chara's hit on the Montreal player into the board / pillar (was it Pacoretty ?) wasabsolutely brutal, if we want to be defining it. Much more violent than Kieth's hit. Same with Rome's hit on Horton. No it's not an unfair conversation; the difference is intent and how close to a regular hockey play it was?

Repeating myself, the difference is intent. Clearly Kieth was not making a hockey play so the suspension is justified, and it was violent enough. While many CDC'ers disagree with me, I did not have a problem with the suspension for Rome's hit, although perhaps too long. The "intent" was not as obvious, but it was highly violent & we are trying to get guys to respect each other. I am a supporter of erring on the side of suspending so it does send the message! The concept of intent obviously should lead to more severe penalties.

Wonder if Shanny would have suspended Eager's hit on Sedin from behind, Boychuck's hit on Raymond (which was late & not a hockey play; key problem was it did not look particularly violent even though the injury was severe) or Chara's hit???

True, that was a poor choice of words, what I meant was something far beyond what we're used to seeing. Keith's elbow, while brutal, was unfortunately nothing new.

Archived