Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Snow Showers On Quick, Too Little Too Late

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 TorontoSharksFan

TorontoSharksFan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

So I watched the CBC via NBC Sports feed of game 3, and other than Quick's stellar play, and Dustin Brown's coming out party, the thing that stood out to me was the lack of bodies and sticks in Quick's crease for most of the game. What I say isn't talking out of my ass, the Sharks have had the Kings number in high-pressure games in the past two seasons and the way we've done it is by getting Quick distracted.

Did you notice how Quick jumped up and bitched at the ref when he received the late-third-period snow shower? Do this in the opening minute, and do it repeatedly thereafter. Whack at his catcher when he's trapping the puck on the ice, and make him as agitated as you possibly can. This may sound like I'm stating the obvious, but quite simply, the Canucks have not really even had many screened shots this series, never mind post-whistle prodding of Quick's pads and glove.

You want to pull a Philly/Boston 2010, you have to get Quick pissed off, whining at refs, and retaliating for aggressive behaviour. As long as he can focus on making saves and handling rebounds, he will be rock solid. But if players like Burrows and Edler can get in Quick's grill and subsequently his head, he will start to show cracks in his facade.

Trust me, I've seen the Sharks do it before.

Edited by TorontoSharksFan, 16 April 2012 - 12:13 AM.

Posted Image
Hey, guys. Stop playing Spaceteam and focus on catching Minnesota!

Posted Image

#2 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,673 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

We should implement the Crosby slash ( 4 slashes to the goalies hand then run away) on this team...

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#3 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

We started to drive to the net in the 3rd period, but besides that we have just been taking perimeter shots the usually hit Quick right in the chest, or some weak ass shot attempt that gets blocked.

#4 TorontoSharksFan

TorontoSharksFan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

We started to drive to the net in the 3rd period, but besides that we have just been taking perimeter shots the usually hit Quick right in the chest, or some weak ass shot attempt that gets blocked.

Exactly. You gotta drive the net, drive it hard, and don't stop at the crease, don't stop at the whistle. You gotta get Quick riled up and off his game.

We should implement the Crosby slash ( 4 slashes to the goalies hand then run away) on this team...

Everything but the running away part. That cowardly bulls**t does not play. LA's not as tough as Philly, but you still have to stand your ground.

Edited by TorontoSharksFan, 16 April 2012 - 12:22 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

Chicago got to Vancouver by having small guys ship away at Luongo until he was half the goalie he is.

Canucks better do the same. Their PK looks to be good enough - might as well run Quick every time there's a whistle.

#6 TorontoSharksFan

TorontoSharksFan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

Man, the Canucks need to license Whiskey media's forum code. Yeesh.

Edited by TorontoSharksFan, 16 April 2012 - 12:22 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

The last time we snow showered Quick we got a penalty for it, then the next time LA snow showered Luongo nothing was done.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#8 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

Am I the only one that thinks we should run Quick? Not as blatant as Lucic on Miller, but say Tootoo on Miller? To start the game that is, a guy like Kassian, then have Kassian pump whoever tries to fight him. It would be a penalty worth killing and do it early in the first period to try and rattle him.

#9 TorontoSharksFan

TorontoSharksFan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

Am I the only one that thinks we should run Quick? Not as blatant as Lucic on Miller, but say Tootoo on Miller? To start the game that is, a guy like Kassian, then have Kassian pump whoever tries to fight him. It would be a penalty worth killing and do it early in the first period to try and rattle him.

No, you're not the only one who thinks that. You're replying to a thread that is about that.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 TorontoSharksFan

TorontoSharksFan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

The last time we snow showered Quick we got a penalty for it, then the next time LA snow showered Luongo nothing was done.

Don't worry about taking a penalty here and there. The Kings have an atrocious penalty kill if you are tight on the point and the mid boards.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,775 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

The time for snow showers has come and gone. The time for someone to take a Shaw has arrived.

seU9GBs.gif

#12 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

At this point, I'm pretty sure it's the only way we'll beat Quick. Crash the net hard, get some good chips at the goalie, hope for a big rebound or at least affect his mental game.
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#13 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

No, you're not the only one who thinks that. You're replying to a thread that is about that.

good, I can't wait for some douche to come in a talk about how "classless" that idea is.

#14 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

Don't worry about taking a penalty here and there. The Kings have an atrocious penalty kill if you are tight on the point and the mid boards.

I don't know. They scored half of their goals against us in game 2 while on the PK. :P
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#15 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

In game 2 when Quick was getting involved in that scrum I was hoping Lu was going skate down and pump him.......... I can't believe how sick that would have been.

#16 TorontoSharksFan

TorontoSharksFan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

I don't know. They scored half of their goals against us in game 2 while on the PK. :P

Hah, my bad. I meant power play.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 TorontoSharksFan

TorontoSharksFan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

Anyone who's concerned about class/classlessness just needs to avoid doing what Asham did today and what Weber did in game 1.

Look at how the Ducks won their cup in 2007 and ask yourself if your team wants to win that badly.

But trust me, I flippin' HATE the Ducks.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

Kesler Keslering

#19 WristShot17

WristShot17

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:03 AM

I totally agree. We haven't done anything to get Quick off his game. There has also been almost zero presence in front of the net all series. Every time we successfully get the puck down low, nobody is there to receive a pass or create chaos. I thought we had the players for the hard nosed game this year? Or is it that LA's D is just that good?

#20 NZCanuck

NZCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:20 AM

In game 2 when Quick was getting involved in that scrum I was hoping Lu was going skate down and pump him.......... I can't believe how sick that would have been.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this on CDC (not that I've seen at least) but did no-one notice that in that scrum Burrows gave him 2 punches to the head then pulled him to the ice by the cats eye? Quick seems to be one of those goalies that the more you get at him the more focused he is.

I've got fingers crossed for good ice in the next game- we had him beat a few times tonight where the puck skipped at the wrong time. He is playing extremely well this season but he is beatable as is every goaltender.

#21 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:27 AM

HERP A DERP DERP WOOF!
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#22 TorontoSharksFan

TorontoSharksFan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this on CDC (not that I've seen at least) but did no-one notice that in that scrum Burrows gave him 2 punches to the head then pulled him to the ice by the cats eye? Quick seems to be one of those goalies that the more you get at him the more focused he is.

I've got fingers crossed for good ice in the next game- we had him beat a few times tonight where the puck skipped at the wrong time. He is playing extremely well this season but he is beatable as is every goaltender.

The Canucks should be able to play on bad ice. They beat my Sharks last year in late May in that same subtropical state of California (albeit in the part of the state where skiing is possible.)

As for your notion that Quick gets better the more you get in his grill, watch the three Sharks/Kings highlight videos I posted to see what I mean, and remember that Quick did allow a couple goals in game 2 but none in 3, and no one tried to get him off his game until there was less than a minute left, at which point the first thing he did was stand up and whine to the refs.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.