Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Canucks Press Conference (including discussion on Coho from MG)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
429 replies to this topic

#241 jyip

jyip

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Sorry,he stated that he spent more time on Hodgson's issues than any other player.Commented.
If he had uttered specifics his rear end is in endless litigation.
If he was secure in his position as GM he would have not commented on his discussions of any player.
He deflected the trade pretty soundly onto the shoulders of a rookie.

Sounds like MG is whinning. Didn't CoHo get misdiagnosed by Canuck's doctors and was in the doghouse for not wanting to play with a yet-to-be diagnosed injury?

#242 windiddy0

windiddy0

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

MG is not going to say "Yes, and I plan to fire AV. Surprise!"
If AV gets sh*tcanned, which I think most people believe will happen, it will not be at a press conference.
Odds are AV is gone . . . with Lou.

Why would AV or any of the current mangement be gone? Take a look at the teams in the West that have made it past round one. All of them are teams that were on the bottom or close to the bottom of peoples lists of who would likely make it out. Furthermore, AV is the winningest coach in Canucks history, lead the team to 2 straight Pres' trophies and to the Stanley Cup Final (Game 7). To assume he is gone would be stupid.
As for Luo, the same goes. He's waived his NTC, but given his previous stats the likelyhood of him leaving is still slim, unless management chooses to roll the dice with Schneider, even though it wouldn't be a HUGE risk.
And to assume BOTH would be gone is ridiculous. You're talking a massive revamp of our organization because we underestimated our first round opponent, greatly.
There is no logic in giving away BOTH of our most successful pieces in order to improve.

#243 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,080 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

Sorry,he stated that he spent more time on Hodgson's issues than any other player.Commented.
If he had uttered specifics his rear end is in endless litigation.
If he was secure in his position as GM he would have not commented on his discussions of any player.
He deflected the trade pretty soundly onto the shoulders of a rookie.

If the issue persists and becomes a bit of a distraction and a source of constant speculation, why not put it to rest at the appropriate time?

I agree 100% with MG finally setting the record straight. I believe he's done with having to answer for this and it needs to go away now.

The rookie's camp volunteered themselves for that shouldering by worrying about ice time and things that were, ultimately, coach and managment worries. Not theirs. Their deal was to help support that rookie in the best way they could, but that doesn't involve trying to run his team because there are people in place for that. So his camp owns this one. And it's finally going to be put to rest...thank you MG.

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#244 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

So Luo said he would waive his NTC? Man, must be alot of pressure on him to SAY that. I'll be sad if he goes, but happy for what he may bring.

We need:

Norris Caliber defencemen
Younger, fresher players (Jensen? Schroeder?)
Schneid's signed again with maybe Lack as backup.
Playmaking winger (maybe even centre?) for kes

#245 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 28,080 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

I am not convinced AV won't be gone (I hate it if it's true - he is my favourite coach ever). But, with the way MG was praising him in almost an apologetic way, it wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't being considered. Sheer speculation on my part, but I read a little of that in between the lines. Probably so far off, but my gut told me that MG was taking the brunt of this because he's in protective mode with AV, who may take the fall for this. Again, nothing but my own feeling....

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

-Offensive Threat

#246 rotiman187

rotiman187

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

Cody wanted out of Vancouver and now luongo does too.

MG comparing us to Columbus.

What a joke our market is becoming.

First of all its looking like cody was the only one that wanted out of van, did I miss the part where luo said the same thing. Luongo said he is willng to waive his clause because he knows schnieder is a great young goalie and he is only going to get better, and himself is becoming older. MG used the cbj phrase for the medis because of the way they were acting. I dont know how you come up with your sources but atleast take the time to evaluate them.
Posted Image

#247 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,077 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

An I the only one pissed off at his comment about the team not being the same since the Boston game in January? For real Gillis?

Pathetic if it's an excuse and pathetic if true.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#248 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

An I the only one pissed off at his comment about the team not being the same since the Boston game in January? For real Gillis?

Pathetic if it's an excuse and pathetic if true.

Stating a fact is not an excuse. Nor is it pathetic. Anyone with half a brain could see that we weren't the same team after that game. :rolleyes:

Yes, I do believe you are very much in the minority for being pissed off about that comment.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 24 April 2012 - 12:18 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#249 darnucks

darnucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

I am not convinced AV won't be gone (I hate it if it's true - he is my favourite coach ever). But, with the way MG was praising him in almost an apologetic way, it wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't being considered. Sheer speculation on my part, but I read a little of that in between the lines. Probably so far off, but my gut told me that MG was taking the brunt of this because he's in protection mode of AV, who may take the fall for this. Again, nothing but my own feeling....

I like AV too but I have a feeling that he may go as well. The problem is who's out there you can consider better than him? I haven't agreed with everything AV has done but for those wishing for another coach remember the saying "be careful for what you wish for". Let's remember, all you AV bashers, he took this team to 2 straight President trophy's and game 7 of the Stanley Cup final. No matter how good your players are this is no small feat.

#250 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

Is there a link to the interview in full?

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#251 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,170 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

I am not convinced AV won't be gone (I hate it if it's true - he is my favourite coach ever).  But, with the way MG was praising him in almost an apologetic way, it wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't being considered.  Sheer speculation on my part, but I read a little of that in between the lines.  Probably so far off, but my gut told me that MG was taking the brunt of this because he's in protective mode with AV, who may take the fall for this.  Again, nothing but my own feeling....

If it were Burke making the statement, it'd be a lead pipe cinch that the axe would be falling on AV.

With Gillis, it's hard to say. I think he'd like to retain the coach, but is playing it close to the vest until he hears what Aquilini has to say.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#252 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

First of all its looking like cody was the only one that wanted out of van, did I miss the part where luo said the same thing. Luongo said he is willng to waive his clause because he knows schnieder is a great young goalie and he is only going to get better, and himself is becoming older. MG used the cbj phrase for the medis because of the way they were acting. I dont know how you come up with your sources but atleast take the time to evaluate them.

If Cody wanted to stay he would still be here. It was a terrible trade that had to be made. Then we lacked secondary scoring and collapsed in the first round of the playoffs. Now the market is crapping on the team(who went to the SCF) and disrespecting everything Lu did. Now Lu is opening stating he can be traded and people think that is going to win us a Stanley cup?

Trading Hodgson put us further away from the cup this year. Proof is the first round exit and lack of secondary scoring. Now we are going to lose luongo by the sounds of it. You think a first round exit this year was bad. Wait till next year without luongo.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#253 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

They were mentally strong enough to win the Presidents trophy again but not enough to get out of the first round?

I'd love to hear the spin on the that one.

He didn't really spin it. He stated that the team kept picking up wins despite not playing well due to great goaltending. He feels we have a very good team that could still overcome tepid play in the regular season. Not so much with a motivated playoff opponent.
258bdr6.jpg

#254 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

If the issue persists and becomes a bit of a distraction and a source of constant speculation, why not put it to rest at the appropriate time?

I agree 100% with MG finally setting the record straight. I believe he's done with having to answer for this and it needs to go away now.

The rookie's camp volunteered themselves for that shouldering by worrying about ice time and things that were, ultimately, coach and managment worries. Not theirs. Their deal was to help support that rookie in the best way they could, but that doesn't involve trying to run his team because there are people in place for that. So his camp owns this one. And it's finally going to be put to rest...thank you MG.

Gillis was a player agent and his main competitor was Rich.

Gillis just kicked him in the groin and attempted to deflect his responsibility trading his client without bettering the CANUCKS when it was very much needed.

Winter is going to reopen this whole can of worms as Gillis does not get the last word in a relationship that has more than one party.

Edited by nuck nit, 24 April 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#255 King_Canuckian

King_Canuckian

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Just because MG gave Raymond a good review doesn't mean he has any intention of re-signing him, or that Raymond would even re-sign with us. Mayray is going to be a UFA, correct? He'll be in charge of his own destiny, he can go to whichever team that wants him, if any.

MG is just not burning any bridges there, and he's doing what any good boss should do: Giving a good reference.

Yep, I wouldn't read too much into it. If any other teams are paying attention to this, they might take a shot at signing Raymond. However, if MG said about Raymond what the majority of us have said, Raymond might find himself in Europe or the AHL next season.

And there is still the opportunity to trade negotiating rights until July 1st. You don't want to slam your own players when you might get an asset or two out of it.

10055118.jpg

You don't understand anything, man. Leave your stupid comments in your pocket

#256 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

I am not convinced AV won't be gone (I hate it if it's true - he is my favourite coach ever). But, with the way MG was praising him in almost an apologetic way, it wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't being considered. Sheer speculation on my part, but I read a little of that in between the lines. Probably so far off, but my gut told me that MG was taking the brunt of this because he's in protective mode with AV, who may take the fall for this. Again, nothing but my own feeling....

He's gone. If he wasn't he would have been made available today.

#257 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

Raymond's the new captain

HAHAHA yes!

There better not be any complaining about not getting the bounces.

oh my Gosh, so annoying. At some point its not about bounces its about creating something other than bounce/rebound goals.

Lol, that would totally be very gillis of him to give a speech we've heard over and over to the point we can just type up what's covered right now.

SO ANNOYING. good point

Gillis won't make the same mistake like what he did with Hodgson.

They have approved to give in to Raymond's demand of more ice-time.

HAHAHAHA YES!

That's the least of our worries. I'm still wondering if we will have to sit through another Quenneville tearfest before these playoffs are out :P

oh man. Good Coach, but definitely a child. He's perfect for Chicago
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#258 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 28,080 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Gillis was a player agent and his main competitor was Rich.

Gillis just kicked him in the groin and attempted to deflect his responsibility trading his client without bettering the CANUCKS when it was very much needed.

Winter is going to open this whole can of worms wide open as Gillis does not get the last word in a relationship that has more than one party.

My money would be on Gillis.

Point also being that Cody's new team didn't make it (either)...so it will always remain an unanswered question. There is no proof that Cody would have been the difference and, if he was a negative energy, my guess is he wouldn't have been.

MG didn't deflect anything....he was being pushed and called the bluff. I admire that he won't be held hostage or bullied...it's a great quality and something that he's demonstrated throughout his involvement in the hockey world. Goes way back in his unwavering stance that is usually backed by integrity and staying true to himself. Winter just overstepped his boundaries and it becomes a matter of "know your role....(and shut your mouth)".

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

-Offensive Threat

#259 King_Canuckian

King_Canuckian

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

Can't believe people think keeping Hodgson would have benefited us more in the playoffs, he clearly wanted out and his bad attitude probably would have affected all of our players. Hopefully he's better to the Sabres organization.

Well, I think just about anything would have been better than being ousted in 5 games. Are you saying that with Hodgson instead of Kassian, we would have been swept?

10055118.jpg

You don't understand anything, man. Leave your stupid comments in your pocket

#260 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

Why are we blaming CoHo for wanting more minutes? Don't we want him to succeed here? With Kesler's injuries ... why didn't AV give CoHo more and more minutes? Now we know why CoHo production dropped off sharply ... he was getting pee'd off for busting his butt off and still not getting the type of minutes that Kesler or Raymond are getting. my 2 cents

He didn't get minutes because he was a defensive liability, plain and simple. If anything they played him with Higgins and Hansen to hide that liability.

I was interested in seeing Hodgson flourish here as well but it sounds to me like he had become a major distraction. See ya Cody!
258bdr6.jpg

#261 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

As if the team could use much more drama MG lays a huge goose egg.

25gxmpw.png

#262 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Is Mac T in attendence :bigblush:

Can't even win a playoff game in the AHL

#263 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

My money would be on Gillis.

Point also being that Cody's new team didn't make it (either)...so it will always remain an unanswered question. There is no proof that Cody would have been the difference and, if he was a negative energy, my guess is he wouldn't have been.

MG didn't deflect anything....he was being pushed and called the bluff. I admire that he won't be held hostage or bullied...it's a great quality and something that he's demonstrated throughout his involvement in the hockey world. Goes way back in his unwavering stance that is usually backed by integrity and staying true to himself. Winter just overstepped his boundaries and it becomes a matter of "know your role....(and shut your mouth)".

Imo, nobody brings more negative energy to the Canucks than Kesler. There is no proof Hodgson brought any negative energy to the locker room.

#264 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

It sounded as if Cody Hodgson may have asked for a trade a long time before it happened.
MG said that he spent more time on Coy's problems than any other player so they took the time to make him into the type of player that they could trade for one of 6 players that they targetted. Note.....he never said that Cody asked for a trade. It sounds more like Cody was a high maintenance player who was a pain in the ass so they shipped him out for what they considered fair value. I have to respect MG for handling the problem behind the scenes. Cody is going to be a great hockey player and sad to hear that he wasn't happy here but if he didn't really want to be here, MG had little choice but to accomodate him. Kudos to Hodgson for keeping his mouth shut as well.
For me, I am happy that the air has been cleared on the Hodgson drama and that I can finally put it to rest.
He also said that they will have to develop Kassian into the type of player that they think he can be....in other words a project. He also had good things to say about Phaulson.
MG said that he will always keep his focus on having better scoring teams in Vancouver instead of the low scoring styles of teams like Nashville. With that, I hope he is going to go out and acquire some snipers with size.
He also said that the decision on whether or not they will keep the same coaching staff....he said that he would meet with the owners to discuss that.
I would like AV to stay on as coach but the special teams coached should be held accountable. Whether or not we like AV or not or whether or not MG likes AV, the decision is in the owners hands.

Edited by bluesman60, 24 April 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#265 JJLuongo

JJLuongo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

I think I deserve an apology for all the people telling me to shut up at the Buffalo game when I continuely Boo'd Hodgson....
Content removed - offensive and inappropriate

#266 Mad_Duck

Mad_Duck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

I agree with you.

If he scored a couple of goals...his stock would be much higher. If he didn't get any points...his value wouldn't have dropped as much since the whole team played terrible (except the goalies).

Nucks may have gotten Kassian + 1st rather than Kassian + MAG. Or even Toronto's 5th overall pick.

Meh...what's done is done.

Hank - point per game. *sigh. I know, I had to search for a silver lining*
I put the F U in Fun!

Posted Image

#267 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

video of the conference??

#268 js604

js604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Imo, nobody brings more negative energy to the Canucks than Kesler. There is no proof Hodgson brought any negative energy to the locker room.

That's true. Kesler does seem more arrogant than any other Canucks.. you can see it in both the interviews and in game.

This Hodgson news is turning out to be bad news for the Canucks. Why? Because it means Gillis didn't acquire Kassian because he was awesome, or that Hodgson was dud, but because of other political bullsh*t. Bad trade.

#269 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

when asked about rookies the first name he said was jensen , i know people are shooting down the idea of him being on our team , but he has the size and the skill

and how do any of you know what kesler brings to the locker room

pathetic to even try to talk about what happens in a place you never have been

Edited by cIutch, 24 April 2012 - 12:56 PM.

Posted Image

#270 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

when asked about rookies the first name he said was jensen , i know people are shooting down the idea of him being on our team , but he has the size and the skill

and how do any of you know what kesler brings to the locker room

pathetic to even try to talk about what happens in a place you never have been

No doubt he is the Canucks best remaining prospect. Schroeder is not really producing that well in Chiacgo despite being given top minutes all year.

I think Jensen will be a good Nhler

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.