The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Jablonski, paralyzed in hockey injury, moves leg and finger again.

Jack Jablonski, paralyzed in hockey injury, moves leg, finger - and visits school

Posted: 05/30/2012 12:01:00 AM CDT

Updated: 05/30/2012 11:17:31 PM CDT

20120125__120126jablonski_300.jpg

Benilde-St. Margaret's junior varsity hockey player Jack Jablonski. (Facebook photo)

Students at Benilde-St. Margaret's High School in St. Louis Park had an unexpected visitor Wednesday, May 30.

Sophomore Jack Jablonski made a surprise visit to see his classmates, marking the first time he had been to school since suffering a spinal cord injury Dec. 30 during a junior varsity hockey game.

"It was wonderful for everyone," his mother, Leslie Jablonski, told the Pioneer Press. "You could just see that he and the others were lifted up. We are still in awe of the support that Jack is receiving."

It was the second piece of good news in as many days.

Leslie Jablonski said her son accomplished a "miracle of sorts" on Tuesday when he had small movement in his left ankle and middle finger of his left hand during a rehabilitation assessment at Courage Center.

"My jaw dropped," said Leslie Jablonski, who was in the room during the assessments. "I was sitting in a chair when I heard the staff so excited about something. I got up to see, and it was amazing."

She said her son was beaming afterward. He posted to Twitter: "Just slightly moved my left leg/ankle and left finger #bigday."

"It gives Jack hope, that his hard work and determination are paying off," she said. "He wasn't supposed to be able to move anything below the triceps. This shows that he can. It gives him confidence moving forward. I am not a doctor and don't want to be overly optimistic. But if he's done this, we believe that he can do it again. His spirits are really high rightnow."

After the assessment, Jablonski was put into a harness to do some work on a treadmill.

"We weren't sure if he'd be able to tolerate being in an upright position for more than a short while, but he did!" his CaringBridge website said. "With the help of Courage Center staff, Jack took his first steps in five months. It was a breathtaking moment and one that his mom will never forget."

On Dec. 30, Jablonski was checked into the boards during a junior varsity game at the Holiday Hockey Classic in St. Louis Park. He was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis with a severed spinal cord at the neck and two fractured vertebrae.

Wonderful news! I was born with a SCI (I'm classified as a C-7 incomplete quadriplegic) and I have mobility, because of my injury happening at birth. (Though I still have to use a chair) He will most likely end up similar to how I am, eventually being able to walk short distances with a walker and/or crutches but having to use a chair for further distances. (Though I'm speculating here, as I also have hip displacia from birth as well and I am probably in a considerably a lot more pain that he is experiencing)

Good news! Nice to see him improve. Jenna Privette, the girl who suffered a spinal cord injury during a hockey game about the same time as Jablonski has been medically cleared to play softball.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/972413/391/Once-paralyzed-Jenna-Privette-back-on-softball-field

Wonderful news! I was born with a SCI (I'm classified as a C-7 incomplete quadriplegic) and I have mobility, because of my injury happening at birth. (Though I still have to use a chair) He will most likely end up similar to how I am, eventually being able to walk short distances with a walker and/or crutches but having to use a chair for further distances. (Though I'm speculating here, as I also have hip displacia from birth as well and I am probably in a considerably a lot more pain that he is experiencing)

Archived