The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lu's Value Just Grew Even more.....

bure10fan

I don't think people are assuming they are at the same level but it removes options and therefore an bargaining power the other side may have had.

Teams like Toronto would argue well Lindback, Harding, Bernier are available for less and they have less contract issues...just a ploy that the other side could use to stonewall...those alternatives as they dwindle just gives MG a better bargaining position...

I find it funny how everything nowadays has to do with Luongo.

I'm sorry, but if a team was trying to decide between Josh Harding and Roberto Luongo, they're probably not all that serious about their goaltending situation and aren't ready to give the Canucks what they want.

I hate how people on here compare Roberto Luongo to guys like Harding and Lindback. Listen, the guys an elite goaltender. Unless you have a Miller, a Fleury or a Lundqvist out there in play, Goaltenders like Harding and Lindback shouldn't affect Luongo's trade value. He's in a league of his own, you don't decide between unproven potential career backups and a goaltender who has carried his team to the Stanley Cup Finals and is consistently one of the best regular season goaltenders.

I find it funny how everything nowadays has to do with Luongo.

I'm sorry, but if a team was trying to decide between Josh Harding and Roberto Luongo, they're probably not all that serious about their goaltending situation and aren't ready to give the Canucks what they want.

I hate how people on here compare Roberto Luongo to guys like Harding and Lindback. Listen, the guys an elite goaltender. Unless you have a Miller, a Fleury or a Lundqvist out there in play, Goaltenders like Harding and Lindback shouldn't affect Luongo's trade value. He's in a league of his own, you don't decide between unproven potential career backups and a goaltender who has carried his team to the Stanley Cup Finals and is consistently one of the best regular season goaltenders.

I don't think people are assuming they are at the same level but it removes options and therefore an bargaining power the other side may have had.

Teams like Toronto would argue well Lindback, Harding, Bernier are available for less and they have less contract issues...just a ploy that the other side could use to stonewall...those alternatives as they dwindle just gives MG a better bargaining position...

For all of Luongo's gaffs, he provides incredibly timely saves. I lay more blame at the feet of the coach, forwards and defence than at the feet of Luongo.

Lastly, I am a staunch Luongo hater, but I am objective enough to see that he is not the root of all that is wrong with this team and can intelligently assess the situation, albeit not nearly as precisely as Gillis but certainly much better than 99% of the muppets on this site.

Lui still has to approve the team, and if Toronto is on that list it is obvious he is damaged goods. Only someone with brain damage would want to be a goalie on that team...

My guess: Montreal (if Price doesn't sign) or Florida...

If not, he likely stays put, unless he stuns us with a team that none of us would suspect is somewhere he would WANT to play...

Luongo is solid for at least 4 to 5 more years, by then Lack will be ready to take over and maybe Luongo backs him up.

If Schneider can fetch us more now than Luongo - then trade him now.

But I'm actually starting to think Luongo will fetch us more....

That's just it - Gillis is the only person that has all the facts - we don't know what kind of offers he has to choose from.

I call bs. You say you're a "Luongo hater" but I've never met a Luongo hater who describes Luongo as making "incredibly timely saves" and that "more blame goes to everyone else on the team, not Luongo."

I'm pretty sure the knock on Luongo from most people who dislike him is the very fact he is inconsistent at times and DOESN'T make the timely saves.

I call bs. You say you're a "Luongo hater" but I've never met a Luongo hater who describes Luongo as making "incredibly timely saves" and that "more blame goes to everyone else on the team, not Luongo."

I'm pretty sure the knock on Luongo from most people who dislike him is the very fact he is inconsistent at times and DOESN'T make the timely saves.

Luongo makes timely saves, but people only remember ones he didn't save. Duh.

Luongo is an elite goalie with a bad contract. If his contract had 3 years remaining at $4.5M, of course people would jump on him. In fact, it's not Lu's "perceived" chokery, it's his contract that other teams are wary of. But some teams have enough cap space and NEED to make the playoffs.

All season long Luongo is unappreciated and underrated on these boards and now that he is trade bait he is overrated! He's not a guarantee to make the playoffs. He's nowhere near a guarantee in the playoffs. The last two years he has been replaced in the first round by Cory Schneider. That is not something one expects from an elite top end goaltender. His mental lapses are legendary. His stats are good but they have never been the best. He lets in bad goals and starts slow.

He is generally pretty good but he's not going to fetch a massive package because he does come with question marks, baggage and ten years and close to fifty million dollars remain on his contract.

Do you guys really believe in similar situations he is that much better than Lindback and Harding? He hasn't been better than his own backup for two seasons now and Schneider is still unproven and hasn't had any playoff success. Schneider looks awesome but Lindback and Harding have also had their moments and their best years are ahead of them.

Archived