The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

why just 3 years?

Super_Canuck

Can someone please explain why they would only agree to a 3 year deal? and not longer? Corey is hitting his prime and will obviously still be in his prime 3 years from now, don't you guys think that we should've done a long term deal? Like 5-6 years? Quick got a 10 year deal (i'm not in favour of that long of a deal, having learned from the Luongo experience) Carey price is apparently set to sign for 6-7 years as per Bob Mckenzie

Schneider in my books is just as good as those guys. I hope 3 years from now he doesn't become too expensive that we are unable to re-sign him.

Because as of now he hasn't proven he is worth of the big bucks. Why would he sign for longer than 3 years, if after starting for 3 years he proves he can be an elite goalie, and command a lot higher salary?

Its also safe for us incase for some reason he doesnt handle being a starter well.

Because if he doesnt win the stanley cup in the next 3 years the fans will run him out of town for not doing what he was signed to do. We would then have the exact same situation we have right now with a young hotshot goalie in Lack with no pressure of winning outperforming our starter and that way we can just not have to worry about trading his ridiculous contract (no im not saying its ridiculous but at 4 million per its a very small 1.3 million less than Luongo's "ridiculous"contract) and that way we can maintain our goalie graveyard reputation with our unbelievably high expectations on one player to deliver a cup to Vancouver. The fans and media basically deciding luongos fate in Vancouver will be a turning point in whether or not star players want to come and play for the Canucks.

Because if he doesnt win the stanley cup in the next 3 years the fans will run him out of town for not doing what he was signed to do. We would then have the exact same situation we have right now with a young hotshot goalie in Lack with no pressure of winning outperforming our starter and that way we can just not have to worry about trading his ridiculous contract (no im not saying its ridiculous but at 4 million per its a very small 1.3 million less than Luongo's "ridiculous"contract) and that way we can maintain our goalie graveyard reputation with our unbelievably high expectations on one player to deliver a cup to Vancouver. The fans and media basically deciding luongos fate in Vancouver will be a turning point in whether or not star players want to come and play for the Canucks.

Roberto Luongo's 12 year contract is only talked negatively because of Cory Schneider. His stats prove that he is a worth 5.3 mil/year for 12 years. The people that think he's overrated are bandwagoners. They've only seen Cory Schneider and his performance in the finals last year compared to Luongo. And wonder why he's paid 5.3 mil/year compared to Schneider's contract. If Cory Schneider hadn't emerged as a starting goalie, would Luongo be talked about so negatively? No. A 92.8% save percentage in 2011 and a 92.0 save percentage in 2012 gives no reason why Luongo is overrated and has a bad contract.

The OP only shows once again how short a memory some people here have lol.

I personally and along with many here before the past couple of seasons have no problem with Luongo's contract, but the guy has been ripped into so bad by these fans its quite disgusting and yet some now ask why Schneider has not been signed for more years lol....It really is comical and sad. " lets push a guy out of town for having a quote monster contract unquote, too much term, caphit not ideal lol "

Oh look, a young netminder who has played well the past couple of seasons in a backup role ( don't forget being around, training, and learning from Luongo has obviously helped Schneider along ). Well he's cheaper, younger.....Luongo did not deliver the Cup to Vancouver ( because its only a goaltender who can ofcourse ). Luongo played amazing in Vancouver's Stanley Cup run of two years ago and essentially dragged the team along his first few seasons in Vancouver when the team was not at all capable of being top tier.

Well here we go again right. This time Schneider is going to be what ? a franchise netminder ? dare I say captain material lol....and then ? he will be the goat.....a sad cycle and I laugh how some fall right into it and ask why Schneider was only signed 3 years lol.

anyways

It's a short term contract because Schneider's future performance isn't as predictable as Luongo's. If Schneider doesn't live up to his contract, then the Canucks can cut him loose or sign him for less money in 3 years. And on the flip side, if Schneider turns out to be a star and exceeds his contract, he can get a raise sooner.

I am sad if this means the end of Lu here.

I think we will regret getting rid of Lu, especially if we don't get a large 1st and 2nd line D......AND a couple of big offensive units to start keeping the play out of our end.

Lu thrived on being put under pressure due to our sieve like defence ...............I'm not yet convinced Schneider knows what that kind of pressure does to you night after night..........especially with this fan base.

Bandwagoneer ginger groupies.

Laughable how 3 months ago their argument was Schneider was 100% ready to be starter and his stats prove it. While the real hockey fans argued he is not ready and his stats are artificially pumped because of Luongo.

Now I'm reading tones of caution and uncertainty.:D :D :D

Schneids is great....But not ready. He will never come close to Luongo's standard which is the sad thing of all. Luongo has been putting us at the top of the stack for a few years now that next season will feel like 10 steps backwards. They will turn on the ginger. Oh yes, the bandwagoneer groupies will turn on the ginger. 3 years will be just right. 2 would have been more suitable. Because in 2, Schneids is gonna want to get the fuhhhhc out!

Schneider is getting traded, simple as that. But no team will take him since he can become a UFA next season, so if they have a 3 year contract, its a safer bet to acquire his services. And since the salary cap has gone up, some teams will easily have enough money to pay the $4 million a year his contract is set at (which to me is overpriced for somebody who hasnt even played half a season in this league).

Lu is our man, whether its due to the contract, the NTC, or the fact he's a great and proven goaltender.

Archived