The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

why just 3 years?

Super_Canuck

uh, lu has been talked about negatively (at least in question) since a certain 2007 playoff goal... but i can see what you're getting at. he is a great goalie... what isn't great (and why i personally want to see a trade) is the contract. if mg had a little more foresight we could probably have both lu and cory, and judging by the maturity lu showed last year a duo situation could work... but now there is too much money tied up in goaltending and it likely isn't going to happen. but you can't call fans who prefer cory "bandwagoners" (not all anyway)... this is just a tough situation where we have 2 great goalies, but it could have been handled better.

Oh here we go, if you think Luongo is overrated you are a bandwagoner and you know nothing about hockey plus you worship Satan.

Luongo is not the Canucks and MG is about to erase the biggest mistake he has made as a GM.

I don't care about Pres Trophies, and NW division banners. And neither does MG.

C.S. is the real deal and all Canuck fans should be happy for the start of a dominant career.

Luongo had his chance and he blew it, now it's Cory's turn.

haha wow guys like you are just setting him up for a massive failure if he's anything less than perfect, Schneider is not the one single factor that will make or break us winning the cup, if he was we would have come back and beat the Kings. The expectations you guys are putting on him are completely ridiculous.

He's going to be thrown under the bus like Roberto soon enough. It's not a question of 'if' but a question of 'when'. And that's probably when he puts together a stretch of crappy games, has a slow start to the season, struggles to handle 60+ games or plays average in the playoffs. We'll be right back here discussing trade proposals to get Schneids out of town and the best goalie to draft in June.

People need to relax about the length of Luongo's contract. Player contracts are negotiated so that they expire when the players value is high to get the max $ on the next contract. And Luongo was the freakin' team when he signed.

The cap was tight. And that's what it took to keep Luongo here. It's not his fault or Gillis. It's the leagues fault + bad timing considering 2 x Sedin had to be re-signed eventually.

The salary cap forced teams to find ways to lower the cap hit/year. Hossa, Kovalchuk, Carter, Bryzgalov, Ehrhoff even freakin' Ovechkin is now taking some heat. Zetterberg, Keith, Doughty, maybe even Crosby's new contract might not look so good over the next few years. Who knows?

^ Take any of the players above, then imagine if a cheaper, younger player emerged to take their spot giving the team the luxury of trading one. Pretty lucky, huh?

$4million?

All this fuss over a $1.3 million savings. Good thing we're ushering Luongo and his "terrible" contract out the door.

I'm surprised Gillis didn't just offer him Luongo's contract.

It's a little more than I expected. However, Schneider has done his time, plenty of it, and paid his dues for this organization, all the while remaining mum about his future as the clock kept ticking. He's earned it, good soldier that he is.

Because by the time it's time for him to re-sign, all the fans here we want him out of here. There will be trade proposals which will include a top 5 pick and a young d-man.

I mean when there is a good goaltender in this city, the fans cant quite take it...

A goalie is a very dynamic position. One major injury and there careers change dramatically. Some goalies change from year to year (Steve Mason's rookie and sophomore seasons were pretty drastic). 3 years gives some flexibility for the team if things don't work out.

Archived