* * * - - 5 votes

Anyone else feel bad for burrows?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
184 replies to this topic

#91 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

My GF is Indonesian.She has a university degree and teaches high school students.
She walks an hour to work and then an hour back for ten dollars a day.
Four months of the year she is not paid.
No benefits.
I think you are spewing nonesense - which is crap.

So what exactly were you trying to say? I see no relation of your post to my post aside from proving that pretty much everyone in the real world should be getting paid more than they are.

#92 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,952 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

What I like about Burrows is that he can play in any role, whether it be playing on the 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line........ Plus, the powerplay and penalty kill.

Definitely worth at least $3 million.

307mg00.jpg

#93 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,207 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

So what exactly were you trying to say? I see no relation of your post to my post aside from proving that pretty much everyone in the real world should be getting paid more than they are.
What is certain though, is a sportsman does NOT deserve more than the couple of million he is already making. Cut the crap

Yeah,but that is not reality.

The NHL players have the NHLPA union to protect them and that is not the case for the majority of worker's.

Before the NHLPA formed and began protecting themselves the players were abused by the owners.

The large salaries the players receive is based on the even larger revenues the owner's receive.

He is a professional athlete ,not a sportsman at your local arena beer league.

The point is that the professional players were treated like cattle by the NHL owners for a century.

That is the sorry history of the NHL,or crap,as you call it.

First organizing efforts (1957–1958)

For more details on this topic, see 1957–58 NHL season.
The first NHLPA was formed in 1957 by hockey players Ted Lindsay of the Detroit Red Wings and Doug Harvey of the Montreal Canadiens after the league had refused to release pension plan financial information. The owners broke the union by trading players involved with the organization or sending them to the minor leagues. After an out-of-court settlement over several players' issues, the players disbanded the organization. Lindsay's struggle and the NHL's union busting efforts are dramatized in the movie, Net Worth.

Edited by nuck nit, 04 July 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#94 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

Lots of people saying they dont feel bad for burrows making 2m per year.

You are probably the same people that are going to cry when another team offers him 4m and he takes it!

Yeah he took a discount, but after seeing some of these free agent signings, he deserves more.

FYI he does not take home 2 mil, government takes their cut, agent takes their cut, and probably some trainers in the off season that would take a cut as well.

How many other guys in the NHL are paid 2 mil and play on the top line and PK...

The reasons people dont feel bad for him:

-He was an undrafted ball hockey player...
-He plays with the Sedins

a: Canucks are not a ball hockey team, he takes a serious risk every time he goes on the ice, and he plays against other teams best players.

b:Burrows is not Anson Carter.

Last I remember... he stole the puck from Campoli without the Sedins and scored the winning goal to (slay the dragon) beat Chicago and help move the team to the next round of the playoffs.

Maybe feeling bad is the wrong way to put it. I have so much respect for this guy, he could easily take his foot off the throttle and be a 2 million dollar third liner. Maybe he just feels bad for you so called fans....

Burrows... Do we really need him...

No, it could be that the people who do not feel bad for him making $2mil might be the same ones who cry when people they know cannot afford to put food on the table or they see hungry children on TV or oppressed people suffering around the world (for example).

The government takes their cut from him just like they take their cut from everyone else so it is a moot point. To suggest that part of the reasoning of him being paid unfairly is because of how he gets taxed is simply ridiculous.

The reasons people dont feel bad for him:

-He was an undrafted ball hockey player.. He makes more money in one year than most people will get even a sniff of in their entire lifetime.
-He plays with the Sedins He gets paid $2mil per year to stay in shape and play a game that many others themselves pay to play, and while most people in the world can only play a game at work on a 15 minute coffee break.

The Canucks are not a ball hockey team for sure...how much do professional ball hockey players make by the way? There are players in the NHL who take greater physical risks than Burrows and get paid much less. There are individuals who put themselves at greater risk at work than any hockey player and what they make is a joke in comparison. Anytime a player gets injured to the point of no longer being able to play, they get paid their full remaining salaries and can file for career ending disability. This again is a moot point. Someone paying $700 per season to play adult rec hockey is also putting themselves at risk every game.

He is not Anson Carter and I believe he is making twice as much as Anson Carter did with us and he is making more than we offered Anson Carter after his year with the Sedins.

Also, he didn't steal the puck from Campoli. He retrieved the puck out of the air after a terrible Campoli clear.

Burr is a stud but let's bring ourselves down to level here and have some perspective.

I seriously cannot comprehend the notion of people who make, what; $30K, $40K, $50K or $60K or whatever per year "feeling bad" for a likely millionaire-to-be.

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#95 CC19

CC19

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

What I like about Burrows is that he can play in any role, whether it be playing on the 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line........ Plus, the powerplay and penalty kill.

Definitely worth at least $3 million.

Yet guys like Parise coming off 31 goal seasons who don't bring the intangibles Burrows does get $98Million guaranteed... why?

Check out my deviantArt wallpaper gallery here!

#96 schneider

schneider

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hahahah making 2 million dollars a year.

Yeah I feel really bad for him.

#97 MarchandSucks

MarchandSucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

Plus he gets left over money from the proceeds that go to his translator
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Mode 2015-2016
Toews 90 Stamkos 92 Kucherov 88
Mantha 83 Henrik 90 Lecavalier 85
Glencross 80 Thompson 74 Ranford 76
Richard 64 Lindholm 61 Connolly 74
Barberio 85 Jones 84
Morrow 75 Spurgeon 85
Methot 78 Streit 84
MIller 86
Hellberg 70

#98 b-mo

b-mo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

oh yeah, i feel terrible for a guy who signed a good contract for the team, and gets the chance to play on the top line and generally play a massive role for his team. I'm sure one guy not feeling sorry for alex burrows, is alex burrows
Posted Image

#99 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,895 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

He's due for a big raise. Don't worry, he'll get what he deserves...hopefully from us.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#100 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

My hearts bleeding for him.

SYvE9NH.gif

#101 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

I see a contract extension for him within the first few months of the season somewhere in the ballpark of 4.5M for 4-5 years. Well deserved obviously.

Until then, I will not feel bad for burrows, but will feel that he is underpaid in comparison to many players in the league.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#102 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

A guy that gets 30 goals is a very good player. I'm sick of people talking about inflated numbers. Burrows scores almost all his goals even strength. You just can't plug anyone on a line and think they will produce year in and year out. Burrows should get a huge raise next year and I'm guessing he is going to be in big demand. A pest who drives the other team crazy and scores big goals? Serious money coming his way!

Edited by bd71, 04 July 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#103 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

The man is being absolutely ROBBED. Being paid 2M/yr for 4yrs and is a legit 30 goal scorer and penalty killer. I feel terrible for the guy, someone would probably throw $5M at hm if he puts up 30+ next year which he easily could playing with the Sedins.

Zach Parise, known in the NHL as a true sniper and top line player gets a $98M contract coming off a 31 goal season. Putting this into perspective, Alex is due for a hefty raise after his contract is up.

What will Burrows get in the open market if that's what it comes to?

ask him how he feels after signs his next contract and if he gets to 30 goals next yr you can guarantee he will be seeking 5mil plus a season
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#104 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

2 Million a year in Vancouver makes him "middle class".

Posted Image
Posted Image

#105 33HankandDank22

33HankandDank22

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

It still takes a fair amount of talent to score with the Sedin's.

After all, Raymond still couldn't score when he was playing with them. :bigblush:

#106 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

I actually thought it was a bad deal for him when he signed it.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#107 Qanux

Qanux

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

I don't necessarily feel bad for Burrows, but I definitely feel he's one of the best bargains in the NHL. Yes, he's getting paid huge money to play a sport he loves, but so does the rest of the NHL and all other professional leagues for that matter. Even 100K in the AHL isn't all that bad compared to the average Joe, but does Burrows deserve more salary than say Raymond? Would you rather have a Kesler than 2 Burrows on the team?

For those who think that Burrows is nothing without the Sedins, just be reminded that Sedins aren't on the PK and Burrows easily has the most shorties on this team. He's as versatile as anyone on this team and you can just about slot him anywhere in the lineup. imo, it's just about parity. The wonderful thing is that Burrows is not complaining or milking money out of the situation that he's been the best fit for the Sedins, and that's something to be grateful for. I'm pretty sure that very little people would say that Burrows is being overpaid, and that 29 other teams would sign him in a second at 2m.

#108 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

Anson Carter, is that you?
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

#109 Phil Kessler

Phil Kessler

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

He makes 2 million a year playing a game he loves. I definitely don't feel bad for him and he's gonna get a raise soon enough.

#110 !

!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

yea i feel so bad for him man, he's only making $2M a year

Posted Image

#111 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

Yet guys like Parise coming off 31 goal seasons who don't bring the intangibles Burrows does get $98Million guaranteed... why?

Parise doesn't bring intagibles that Burrows does? :picard:

Parise is a much better leader, faster, better goal scorer, better playmaker, good two-way game, and just as competitive if not more competitive than Burrows. You obviously do not know what you're talking about.

#112 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

id be happy with 50k a year just to play hockey.

^THIS !

tumblr_m9hjp8vrqX1reh8b2o1_250.gif

Once, on vacation,  using only a rake and a pair of sunglasses,

I single-handedly defended a small village in Italy from a colony of angry wasps. :ph34r:

#113 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

I am glad you two have told us all how little you understand about the game of hockey. If you think Burrows is over rated, you've serioulsy never competed at anything, let alone hockey in your life.

Laughable.

I agree. Is shows some people really don't care how stupid they make themselves sound when they open their mouths. Dumb people are prone to saying dumb things.

If every player on the Canucks team had the heart and diligence Burrows demonstrates every year, we might even have won one or two Stanley Cups by now. Burr will get his raise when the time comes despite who some may think of him.
"If you win say nothing, if you lose say less."

#114 canuck4evr

canuck4evr

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

Burrows is nothing with out the sedins he signed to the 4 year contract because he knew on any other team he would be a bottom 6 winger. If anything just make him home assistant captain

Nothing without the Sedins? What a joke, Burrows has made every line he's played on better...including the Sedins who tried multiple players on their line before finally finding one that fit.

#115 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

This guy probably has such a sweet life. Hope he stays, give him 3 mill.
Posted Image

#116 jeremy_cheung14

jeremy_cheung14

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

Legit 30 goal scorer? This guy would be a 15-20 goal scorer if it weren't for the Sedins.

Also, no. I don't feel bad that he's getting paid millions to do what he loves.

screw u. he could score 25-30 goals easily, kk? did he play with the sedins in game 7 against the hawks? huh??? and game 2 vs bruins both goals was all him and the sick pass. u stupid

#117 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

Guy is a millionaire, has thousands of adoring fans, most of them girls who would more happily throw themselves at him, is in the prime of his career/life, travels the continent, gets to live in a nice ass city like vancouver in what I would assume is a very expensive place, gets to do what he loves, plays with two very good players for his job. Yah, I totally feel bad for the guy. :P I will agree though he does deserve a raise for sure.

Edited by hsedin33, 04 July 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#118 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,560 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

I think Burrows is happy regardless. This was a guy who fought his way up from being undrafted and went through the ECHL, to the AHL, and then the NHL.

I think Burrows, like any of us appreciates the gift he has to play in the NHL. He's one of my all time favorite Canucks, and is a great story. I'm sure his next contract he'll get a "living wage".

"We have to get families back in the game, get back where Saturday night, everything stops. A case of beer comes out and a bottle of rye and anyone who comes to the house, they better want to watch hockey."
Bobby Hull
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#119 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

screw u. he could score 25-30 goals easily, kk? did he play with the sedins in game 7 against the hawks? huh??? and game 2 vs bruins both goals was all him and the sick pass. u stupid

no

u stupid

Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!

#120 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

Right on target. I recall that when Burrows signed his current deal the general view was that he was being well rewarded -- making it big after coming up the hard way -- through the low minors. And back in those dasy $2 million a year was a lot of money.

Heck, $2 million a year is a lot of money now. Feeling "sorry" for Burrows is just plain silly.

I am sure he feels fortunate to be where he is, as do most NHL players.

And without the Sedins I think he would be no more than a good third-liner, PK guy.

In fact, I am afraid that he might the usual "problem" that guys who play with the Sedins have -- their numbers get inflated and they want more than they are worth (at least their agents do) -- and more than the Canucks are willing to pay.

And Burrows is not in the same category as Parise. (Although I admit Parise is overpaid.)

I remember it differently, most thought it was a great deal, as people were worried about his cap hit. Even Kesler came out and said he's worth a lot more than $8m/4yrs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.