The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Incredible Movies

dajusta

two for today,

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Charlie Kaufman's most beautifully concieved script combined with director Michel Gondry's distinct visual style helps Jim Carey to make the one timeless movie of his career. It gives him enough room for his usual charm, but he tones it down to just the right level and plays the character, plays it so well in fact that I couldn't imagine another actor playing the lead. It is probably the only movie I've watched more than 5 times that I could put on right now and still be captivated by it.

Enter the Void - For it's originality and incredibly convincing surrealism this is one movie that is not for casual veiwing. You really have to commit to it. The subject of DMT, trauma, death, incest, are all covered in a gratuitous and uncompromising fashion. Like a Eternal Sunshine, it is a movie that fully belongs in it's medium and embraces it.

• 1 month later...

I've always been a big movie buff, have a huge collection of DVD's and watch many of them several times over.

As for some that have been mentioned in this thread....

Drive - It was recommended by a friend who saw it in theaters, I don't really go to the movies these days, just buy them when they come out on dvd. It was probably the worst movie i have seen in years, just terrible, all the hype for this??? The "sly and mysterious" main character came off more of a loner with a speech impediment. There were no cool cars nor actual driving, random uncalled for acts of violence. No actual love affair with his neighbor bimbo. The movie never explains the random bad guys chasing him. Just a really really bad flick.

Law abiding citizen - Good idea, good movie for the 1st half, then the rest is repetitive and loses its edge. Had all the potential to be a great movie, failing to live up to it makes it seem worse than it was. Ending was lame, they ran out of clever ways to kill people after the first hour and it was overall excessive with what he was trying to do. Doesn't get better with repeat watches like a classic should, just Meh.

No Country for old men - Love the Coen brothers, this is definitely their best work. ******** amazing.

Shawshank Redemption - Possibly the best movie ever made, couldn't find a pin hole in this one.

V for Vendetta - One of my all time favorites, clever, funny and bada$$.

as for my contribution..

"Miller's Crossing" is without a doubt my favorite movie. Coen Bros really hit this one outta the park. Gabriel Byrne plays the right hand man of the local Irish mobb boss. He's a half way drunk and full out gambling addict (always loses). Owes money to multiple loan sharks and bookies. He's poking his boss' girlfriend and planned fiance, ends up getting the crap kicked out of him and moves over to the Italian side of town just in time to start a war. He manipulates everyone around him, gets in some sticky situations. The movie has this underlying comedic side that just makes you smile the entire time. It's clever, witty and just plain awesome. One of the best mobb/gangster movies EVER!

would also recommend "Usual suspects" by the bros and "The Watchmen" which im suprised no one has mentioned yet. Very well done!

caught that Beasts of the Southern Wild tonight.

really, really disappointed. strong start, strong finish, but there's about a 45 minute lull in the middle.

wasn't impressed by the acting, either. mega disappointed, i really wanted to love it.

Just saw Beasts of the Southern Wild tonight. Apart from some excessive shaky-cam usage, this is one of the most strangely watchable films I've seen. I loved the way they portrayed the community of the Bathtub without being condescending, just a collection of people trying to live their lives. The acting is amazing, as is the soundtrack.

Moonrise Kingdom

I haven't been overly fond of a Wes Anderson movie since Life Aquatic but this one may be my favorite of his.

The acting war great especially from Kara Hayward. I'm glad they didn't play up the issues with her character. When she pulled out booklet she had found I was worried about a drawn out story line involving her killing ravens as a child.

I really enjoy the little things about this one.

Also Balaban is great always.

End of Watch - This is my favorite from David Ayer (Harsh Times, Street Kings - Wrote Training Day and the screenplay for The Fast and the Furious). Realistic portrayal of cop life in LA. Great acting from both the leads (Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena). Quite a bit of humor in this as well (cops poking fun at each other). 9/10

Deja Vu - Call me a sucker for Denzel but this is my favorite movie of his right after Man on Fire. Absolutely loved the plot, and the ending caught me off-guard, definitely not your typical guy-saves-girl kind of movie

My Neighbor Totoro - Favorite Childhood movie of all-time. The english NON-Fanning girl version is the best to be honest just due to the voiceovers for me at least :P But the movie is a tearjerker and will move anybody's heart. I seriously think everyone should see this movie.

you didn't find the dad's acting to be absolutely... awful? his never-ending DMX tone, and that scene where he wakes up from his sleep when those people were at the door.. haha.

the secondary characters weren't very emotive, either

the little girl was good for what she did, but what did she do? a lot of voice over work, and a lot of stone faced staring with a few screams. i dunno man, i'm really not sold.

amazing soundtrack, and the visuals were regularly amazing though.

agreed on the shaky camera, too

i mean, i enjoyed it. still give it like a 7/10 or whatever. i just wanted to love it, so in not loving it, i was disappointed

i haven't seen The Master yet, and I've read/heard SO many mixed things, that I think I might just wait.

I'm excited to see Seven Psychopaths, despite the awful title. Tom Waits is in it, and it's done by Martin McDonagh, whose "In Bruges" is one of the best movies I've ever seen of its genre. Not to mention it also stars Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, and Colin Farrell

Argo might be good too. It's so strange how Ben Affleck has gone from a walking punchline to one of Hollywood's premier directors.

That's too bad. I absolutely loved everything about it. I kind of have a thing for stream-of-consciousness movies though.

I'm really surprised you weren't a fan of the acting because both the kid and the dad absolutely blew me away, but to each his own.

Here's one I saw recently:

Heavenly Creatures - Peter Jackson's first "respectable" film after a run of hilariously over-the-top splatter comedies. I'm pretty sure it's Kate Winslet's first film as well. Anyway it's a true story of two teenage girls who fall in love and when their parents conspire to keep them apart they decide that the only way they can be together is to kill them. Large portions of the movie are spent in the elaborate fantasy worlds that the girls dream up for themselves, and Peter Jackson does a phenomenal job of bringing them to life (with the same SFX studio that did the LOTR movies if I'm not mistaken). Actually the whole movie kind of plays like a fairy tale, except that Jackson starts with the murder then goes back in time to the girls' first meeting, and also peppers the film with readings from one of the girls' real-life diaries, so the whole movie has kind of a dark tinge to it. Highly recommended.

PS. is your sig from Days of Heaven? Because that's a movie that could easily be in this thread. I watched the criterion blu-ray a few weeks ago and holy crap. Has a more gorgeous movie ever been made?

Archived