The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Incredible Movies

dajusta

I don't have time to invest into a huge write-up, but Lord of War was a great movie.

Below is probably one of the greatest introducing scenes to any movie, it is from Lord of War and it doesn't spoil the movie. Note though that it is a bit graphic near the end.

Into the Wild:

Great adventure movie, based on a true story of a man named Chris McCandless who abandon everything he had (money, family, etc), so he could live freely in the Alaskan wild. The cinematography is simply stunning and Hirsch played the lead role perfectly.

The Prestige

A movie about magicians, which unfolds like a magic trick in itself. The acting and directing are fantastic, and the concept unique and compelling.

But the real treat in this movie is in re-watching it (multiple times, even), and seeing how many times you, the viewer, were completely played.

Wow. Some of you mentioned movies just released this past month. It can't be incredible. You just liked it but it's not incredible. Incredible movies withstand the test of time. Therefore the most incredible movie of all time is.....

THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

You, your children, you grandkids and their children will watch this movie.

Wow. Some of you mentioned movies just released this past month. It can't be incredible. You just liked it but it's not incredible. Incredible movies withstand the test of time. Therefore the most incredible movie of all time is.....

THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

You, your children, you grandkids and their children will watch this movie.

I think the point of this thread was to start discussions on what makes a movie great or not. Doesn't have to be the best of all time. So when people say "I dunno why, but I enjoyed Step Brothers last night" it sorta defeats the purpose.

Conversation, people! Conversation.

If you're looking for some great horror films to watch this time of year here are some of my favs:

1) The Shining

True story: During my first year at McGill I started having panic attacks, which I went to go see a school physician about. One of the ways that you cure recurrent panic attacks is to induce them in the patient, and then using relaxation techniques to bring them back to baseline. Once you know you can get out of them they're not scary anymore, and once you lose the fear of them they stop occurring.

The point is, the way they induced panic attacks in me was by putting me in a dark room and playing this trailer at full volume:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qDqdYY6-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qDqdYY6-Y

And it worked every time.

2) Suspiria

Outside of a couple of scenes this movie doesn't have a whole lot of jump out of your seat scares, but man will it stick with you once it's done. So much of the movie is filmed from oblique angles and with insane colour palettes that you feel as if you're in a fever dream. The score is also phenomenal. It's right up there with Halloween and Jaws IMO. The special effects (with one obvious exception) are also incredible for a movie from 1976. They're almost all practical effects so they hold up really well.

3) The Others

A surprisingly overlooked haunted house movie starring Nicole Kidman. It's got some amazing jump scares but they always feel earned. The film is moody as hell, and every time you think you've figured out what's going on, or the film seems to be slipping into conventional haunted house territory, something will happen that will have you questioning everything again.

Some others to round-out a top-10 (in no particular order):

4) The Orphanage

5) The Changeling (although there is 1 godawful scene with a "haunted" wheelchair)

6) Psycho

7) The Devil's Backbone

8) The Ring

9) The Sixth Sense

10) Rosemary's Baby

And some fun ones you may not have seen:

Dead Alive (a Peter Jackson movie from 1992 which still holds the record for the most fake blood ever used in a movie)

Evil Dead II & Army of Darkness

The Grudge (The Ring is a much better movie, but this one's got the better jump scares IMO)

An American Werewolf in London

The Howling

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (70s version is my favourite)

Dead Snow (for a movie about nazi zombies, it's surprisingly well-made)

The Thing

Re-Animator

The Descent

Drag me to Hell

House of the Devil

Insidious

And I've never seen Heavenly Creatures myself, but when I was a kid I was a big fan of Jackson's work. My mother made the mistake of letting me watch "horror" movies at an early age, which really anchored my taste for a long time, but my appreciation for Jackson's early low budget movies stays in tact. I even have a soft spot for The Frighteners. I should give Heavenly Creatures a try too, even though Jackson's later work (outside of LOTR) hasn't really done a whole lot for me.

Archived