The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you honestly believe we improved enough?

Bossy

Luongo for Lecavalier

6'4

208lbs

Center

Left Shot

Career Playoff Statistics

02/03 11gp 3-3-6

03/04 23gp 9-7-16 won stanley cup

05/06 5gp 1-3-4

06/07 6gp 5-2-7

10/11 18gp 6-13-19

He is exactly what this team needs.

Henrik, Kesler, Lecavalier, Malhotra, Lapierre not bad

As much as it pains many CDC'ers to see this, trading Schneider would be the only way to acquire even one of the players mentioned by the OP (top forward, number 1 d-man). Before continuing the argument, I'll first clarify that I am a Luongo fan but I'll try to make my argument as unbiased as possible.

Potential - Clearly, Schneider has more "potential" to do well because he is younger, and has plenty of time to evolve his game. With Luongo, on the other hand, his game is already polished and he has spent the last 10-15 ish years developing his game to the point where it is now. I really don't think he will change his game, which has been very successful too much.

Play - Hard to judge who has more skill, because both of them have exceptional stats. But because they both have such a close level of skill, Schneider's increased potential will give him the edge.

Consistency - Kind of related to play, I'd argue that Luongo is more consistent than Schneider at this point of his career. You can argue all you want about how Schneider has been great in the playoffs, but he doesn't have a single win, and I hardly count 5 playoff games and 68 regular season games as a sample to judge any player. Luongo has had very similar stats throughout his regular season career, and in the playoffs, although he does have his ocassional bad games, he also has as many exceptional games. (But this might not be what teams are looking for because it is hard to judge when he will have a shutout or be blown out.

Risk - Depends on the team. On most teams, or teams I'd say that Luongo has less risk. The team already knows what they are getting. A solid, veteran goalie who has been on the best at his position for the past decade. He will put up great regular season stats and at the very least will put your team into the playoff race. Schneider, on the other hand, has a lot more risk. Will he be the goalie that he has been when he has to play 60+ games a season as a starter? It might look like it, but there is also the risk his game degrades (ala Steve Mason).

What you give/what you get - Acquiring Schneider will obviously require teams to give up more. However, I think that his increased potential, will help balance out the extra pieces teams will have to give up.

Contracts - The main argument I hear people talk about. On paper, Schneider has a 3 year deal, and Luongo has a 10 year deal. However, I think that in reality, Luongo's contract is a 7 year deal. He makes 1 million dollars in each other last three years, making the chance of him not playing in the final three years very high. A 7 year deal for a 33 year old goalie who has put up consistent stats in the regular season for the past decade is reasonable. Schneider's deal is reasonable for a young goalie who has potential to do well, but could also easy have a down season.

Considering all these factors (which are all partially related to each other) I would argue that although acquiring Schneider has more risk, his great potential will give teams more incentive to trade for him, possibly increasing the amount of teams getting into a bidding war for him.

Luongo for Lecavalier

6'4

208lbs

Center

Left Shot

Career Playoff Statistics

02/03 11gp 3-3-6

03/04 23gp 9-7-16 won stanley cup

05/06 5gp 1-3-4

06/07 6gp 5-2-7

10/11 18gp 6-13-19

He is exactly what this team needs.

Henrik, Kesler, Lecavalier, Malhotra, Lapierre not bad

This year we will see if the league has figured out the Sedins or if they had a post-Stanley 'slump' last year. When Kes gets back we will see the beast he was a couple years ago or not? Will Booth be the force we thought? Will Garrison? Will Ballard? Can Tanev do what GMMG thinks he can? Who do we get for Luongo? Will any of the guys we signed for the fourth line job stay healthy enough to see if they are any good? What will Kassian do in year 2? Will Doan com here or not? Lots of questions which won't be answered for a long time yet.

And I'd rather have this team than any other in the West.

Garrison is unproven and might suffer the same fate as Ballard.

It is not obvious that Luongo will be traded. Schneider is a ripe readable asset.

Expecting Kassian to be a 40-50 point producer in what might be his first full time year in the bigs is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Expecting Schroeder to be a 2C is unrealistic. He is likely too small for the NHL and he certainly won't be well matched against the bigger talents of the league; false hopes.

Jensen might be the most ready player to make the jump but on a consecutive President's Trophy winning team, he might have a hard time cracking the lineup.

The defence became younger when Salo signed elsewhere and Garrison signed here. Garrison has the big shot that will make up for Salo's point shot plus Garrison is much more physical (something that was clearly missing on our defense). Ballard is back healthy and ready to go as well which means that Tanev will have a full time experienced partner to pair with. So, I would say that those two things will make our defense much better than last year.

Kesler has had the surgeries to get him back to being a dominant force out there plus Booth and Kassian will get a full camp with the team.

Malhotra has had another year to recover from his injury and could take his 3rd line centre spot back.

Our goaltending is the best it has ever been because Schneider is ready but will be pushed by Luongo to keep his spot. That pressure will make Schneider an even better player when he has to handle the load with someone nipping at his heels.

We have Volpatti back healthy so he will compete for a 4th line spot. Weise and Volpatti on the 4th line will be hard to deal with....both physical and can drop them if called upon.

There is always room for improvement but I think overall that the team will be better this year....staying healthy will be the biggest improvement though. If Kesler and Daniel Sedin were healthy for the playoffs last year, the outcome might have been different....we definately would have made the Kings sweat a lot more to get by us.

This year the team will be hungrier after the early PO exit, I think that experience will make them much more dangerous this year.

As far as Luongo getting traded...I will belive it when it happens,

I don't.

Garrison is another unproven Florida player who probably wont work out like booth. His contract is huge and there is a possibility he could just flop.

We still have both Luongo and Schneider here and we cannot win with that much value (Not even contract numbers, if you transferred the value of each player to another position we'd be in so much better shape. Players don't appear out of thin air, you have to give up value in one position to gain it somewhere else) wasted on a position where only one of them can make a difference in a game. Don't use the "insurance" argument because we all know that's bunk, we have to offload one of them and get stronger up front.

And talking about up front, our bottom 6 hasn't had much work done to it and it needs it. Out top 6 is the exact same as last season where scoring goals was an issue all season long. It's not a slump, our offense is lack luster.

Also, our defense still doesn't have that anchor. No one really leads the defense. Sure, Hamhius is great but he's not a cup winning #1 defenseman.

I don't see how we go from losing in 5 games in the first round to cup contenders if this is the team we go into the playoffs with.

Archived