The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

Personally - my number one annoyance when snowboarder is feeling cold and wet.

Without knowing which $200 jackets you are suggesting (there is a lot --- so I know what you mean :lol: ) --- the $349 pricepoint is not that bad.

I used to go 'cheaper' and get Ripzone jackets in the $200 range - I then splurged on a $399.99 Quiksilver jacket a few years ago, and I noticed a huge difference in quality and durability.

Honestly - in my opinion - when you pay a little more for the better brands, you get a much better quality product.

I just bought a Burton Jacket ( at the Burton Outlet in Orlando, FL :lol: -- what a place to get a winter jacket) -- and again, noticed a HUGE difference in quality.

Looking specifically at that jacket - it has the 10,000 mm waterproof rating, and 10k breathability. Some cheaper jackets can claim that they will have 15k/10k... but you will find that the Oakley waterproof will actually be better, and last much longer.

right on squeak , you get what you pay for .

I have been running burtons farsi jacket and pant for the last couple of seasons as my powder day ensemble .

So I've been thinking I should this gorgeous Oakley Originate jacket:

BAh7CWkKIgwzNjh4NTI3aQtsKwexZg1QaQdpC2kIaQNgxAI.jpg?class=zoomer-img-main+OneLinkNoTx&mpdistrans=alt

The thing fits like a dream, and I love the way it looks.

However, it costs $349, and I just feel like the difference between it and some other $200 jackets doesn't quite justify the price difference. Of course it's hard to make that judgement without actually wearing them up on the mountain where its -15c and I'm covered in snow.

So, just a question for those of you who have splurged on jackets, do you find that it's worth it?

I have found in the past that a lot of these companies rely more on styling than performance so I have always avoided them. I read a number of performance articles regarding weather proofing in the past and most agreed that gortex, entrent, and helly tech were the top perfomers with helly tech being the only spray on treatment they recomended. I am sure that technology has improved vastly over time so my knowledge in these areas may be a little outdated.

As for price, if you really want the save some money you probably missed the boat unless you can wait untill the next offseason. I have been to the Helly Hansen outlets in Washington and Oregon many times in the spring and summer and found you can get jackets anywhere from 50 to 70 percent off so helly tech xp and proffessional jackets can be found frequently in the $200 range and pants for roughly half of that. Another place you can try is Farwest, although I hear their Richmond outlet is closing or is already closed. I bought a Gortex jacket from the Vernon outlet in the spring a couple of years ago for around $125 and it is by far the best jacket I have ever owned. I have also seen a number of North Face summit series jackets in the $200 range in the off season so my advice would be to wait and shop around no matter what you decide.

I have found in the past that a lot of these companies rely more on styling than performance so I have always avoided them. I read a number of performance articles regarding weather proofing in the past and most agreed that gortex, entrent, and helly tech were the top perfomers with helly tech being the only spray on treatment they recomended. I am sure that technology has improved vastly over time so my knowledge in these areas may be a little outdated.

As for price, if you really want the save some money you probably missed the boat unless you can wait untill the next offseason. I have been to the Helly Hansen outlets in Washington and Oregon many times in the spring and summer and found you can get jackets anywhere from 50 to 70 percent off so helly tech xp and proffessional jackets can be found frequently in the $200 range and pants for roughly half of that. Another place you can try is Farwest, although I hear their Richmond outlet is closing or is already closed. I bought a Gortex jacket from the Vernon outlet in the spring a couple of years ago for around $125 and it is by far the best jacket I have ever owned. I have also seen a number of North Face summit series jackets in the $200 range in the off season so my advice would be to wait and shop around no matter what you decide.

Gortex is the sh!t

Personally - my number one annoyance when snowboarder is feeling cold and wet.

Without knowing which $200 jackets you are suggesting (there is a lot --- so I know what you mean :lol: ) --- the $349 pricepoint is not that bad.

I used to go 'cheaper' and get Ripzone jackets in the $200 range - I then splurged on a $399.99 Quiksilver jacket a few years ago, and I noticed a huge difference in quality and durability.

Honestly - in my opinion - when you pay a little more for the better brands, you get a much better quality product.

I just bought a Burton Jacket ( at the Burton Outlet in Orlando, FL :lol: -- what a place to get a winter jacket) -- and again, noticed a HUGE difference in quality.

Looking specifically at that jacket - it has the 10,000 mm waterproof rating, and 10k breathability. Some cheaper jackets can claim that they will have 15k/10k... but you will find that the Oakley waterproof will actually be better, and last much longer.

Good to know, I just didn't want to go spend $150 more on the jacket just for the fact that it holds the Oakley name.

My jacket now was $200 and I've never really had any issues with it, but it's just time to get a new one.

It was $349 at Comor in Vancouver, but I've seen them online for $300, so I'm thinking I'm gonna get it.

Yeah I definitely should have started looking earlier, but with the season fast approaching I just kinda convinced myself now that I wanted a new jacket.

Performance is important but at the same time I think I'm willing to spend the extra money on the styling, my $200 jacket I have now works well and all but it's pretty "meh".

The money isn't really all that much of an issue if it's worth it, I just don't want to get baited into spending too much for high end gear that isn't all that much better than the middle of the pack

Only the pro skiers wear that jacket ^ B). Guess you might have to pickup skiing now.

ORIGINATE JACKET

A rebel-Rasta-ripper with a go-for-broke attitude, Tanner Hall inspired this Pro Rider Series innovation. It’s the ORIGINATE JACKET and it has big vents up front to let him release excess heat when backcountry opportunities make him slog up slopes. When he’s not wearing the hood, magnets hold it out of the way. This loose-fit performance shell has a 10K/10K combo of waterproofing and breathability, along with a fixed storm skirt. The look is smooth, and the back has a logo that lets the world know Tanner is a proud member of the Oakley family

When i saw the rastafarian colours i knew it was one of tanner's jackets :lol:

Completely agree with you :lol:. I was gonna say the same thing.

Tanner Hall B)

Red Bull Drops Tanner Hall After 11 Years

By UnofficialNetworks·August 29, 2012·36 Comments

Screen-shot-2012-08-29-at-11.41.05-AM.png

Yep, you read that right. After 11 Years Tanner Hall Dropped by Red Bull

Last night Tanner Hall posted this update to his instagram account, tannerhall420: After 11 years of hard work for Red Bull and everything I have done and been through they decided to drop me last night. Guess they don’t believe in me but it’s gonna be bitter sweet proving them wrong. #redbull #movingontobiggerandbetterthings

Good news boys and girls! The locals are covered and every resort in BC has snow now. Looks like its gonna be an early wild season :towel: .

Here's some more shots from this morning of my favorite local, Cypress which has now over 20cm's, another 80 and we'll see another early November opening! :towel:

134792_10150322146819977_1169596239_o.jpg

527296_10150322137464977_72330092_n.jpg

57452_10150322137434977_1069119733_o.jpg

In MORE news! :towel:

Blackomb's getting their snow cats out in the Alpine, honestly looks like they could have opened already.

59456_10151141781918402_1247847965_n.jpg

Then here's a shot of Baker for those riders who go down South for some pow. Snow is beautiful.

547023_10151872384188484_385593264_n.jpg

Today I was living the dream! Mount Norquay here in Banff opened up and was the first hill to do so in Canada and I was fortunate to be one of the first up!!

My goal this season is to go 100 times this year, only 98 more times after I hit the slopes tomorrow!!!

Here is an article on it from the local paper the Craig and Canyon:

When the Cascade chair started rolling Thursday, it marked the earliest Mount Norquay has ever opened. And as the first ski hill in Canada to start its lifts, Norquay also kicked off the ski season.

“It feels good, it’s exciting,” general manager Andre Quenneville said. “It’s good for the industry and good for everyone who wants to slide and feel the wind in their hair. Me included.”

While only one run was available, it was more than enough for the skiers and snowboarders who lined up as early as 10 a.m. to have first day bragging rights along with Norquay when the chairlift started going at noon.

Originally aiming to be open the weekend of Nov. 3, the 30 cm of natural and manmade snow made opening early possible. New equipment helped the ski hill start making snow in marginal conditions, and mother nature took care of the rest.

“There’s lots of happy people having fun around here,” Quenneville said. “It’s really nice to get open and be the first.”

Norquay will be open on weekends until Nov. 30, when they’ll open seven days a week. They’ll also be open Friday, Nov. 9 for the long weekend.

New at the hill this year is a moving carpet in the loading area of the Spirit chair to help out beginners.

“It’s a solution to help increase the capacity of the lift,” Quenneville said.

And the ski hill’s tubing park is also getting an expansion. A successful addition to the hill, Quenneville said they hope to welcome back people to the new and improved tubing park.

“Tubing has been a great addition for us,” he said. “All walks of life and all age groups take part and it brings out the kid in everyone.”

As snowmaking and nature allows, Norquay will open up further parts of the hill, and they plan to put in a few rail features in the early season.

larissa.barlow@sunmedia.ca

74870.jpg

Today I was living the dream! Mount Norquay here in Banff opened up and was the first hill to do so in Canada and I was fortunate to be one of the first up!!

My goal this season is to go 100 times this year, only 98 more times after I hit the slopes tomorrow!!!

Here is an article on it from the local paper the Craig and Canyon:

When the Cascade chair started rolling Thursday, it marked the earliest Mount Norquay has ever opened. And as the first ski hill in Canada to start its lifts, Norquay also kicked off the ski season.

“It feels good, it’s exciting,” general manager Andre Quenneville said. “It’s good for the industry and good for everyone who wants to slide and feel the wind in their hair. Me included.”

While only one run was available, it was more than enough for the skiers and snowboarders who lined up as early as 10 a.m. to have first day bragging rights along with Norquay when the chairlift started going at noon.

Originally aiming to be open the weekend of Nov. 3, the 30 cm of natural and manmade snow made opening early possible. New equipment helped the ski hill start making snow in marginal conditions, and mother nature took care of the rest.

“There’s lots of happy people having fun around here,” Quenneville said. “It’s really nice to get open and be the first.”

Norquay will be open on weekends until Nov. 30, when they’ll open seven days a week. They’ll also be open Friday, Nov. 9 for the long weekend.

New at the hill this year is a moving carpet in the loading area of the Spirit chair to help out beginners.

“It’s a solution to help increase the capacity of the lift,” Quenneville said.

And the ski hill’s tubing park is also getting an expansion. A successful addition to the hill, Quenneville said they hope to welcome back people to the new and improved tubing park.

“Tubing has been a great addition for us,” he said. “All walks of life and all age groups take part and it brings out the kid in everyone.”

As snowmaking and nature allows, Norquay will open up further parts of the hill, and they plan to put in a few rail features in the early season.

larissa.barlow@sunmedia.ca

74870.jpg

No way! Right on man!

Truly jealous, that feeling you had on the first run must have been amazing.

No way! Right on man!

Truly jealous, that feeling you had on the first run must have been amazing.

It felt like the last time I had been up was only a week ago. In reality it was mid April the last time I hit the slopes.

First two runs were awesome, than it became super congested with at least 250+ people just on the one run. That's when I called it a day.

34 degrees here in melbs today :sadno: , i want to be there

My buddies at whistler are getting their gear ready .

Don't you go to Chamonix soon?

At least its warm. Here it is 8 degrees with rain. Would much prefer snow.

Do not know if i can make it this year , having a baby in late feb , missus will not like me pissing off :sadno:

Am thinking of racing the downhill MTB world champs , masters level next year .

I am told that i have a good chance to bring home a title .

Well congrats on the baby and right on! I would not be able to do so :lol: I wouldn't mind trying it out a few years from now, get a nice Bike and hit Whistler in the summer.

Well congrats on the baby and right on! I would not be able to do so :lol: I wouldn't mind trying it out a few years from now, get a nice Bike and hit Whistler in the summer.

Thanks Brother :)

I have got about half a dozen close friends from my riding crew living in whistler now .

If you ever want crew to ride a bike with , let us know and i wiil try to put you in contact with them .

Archived