The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conservatives - Just not the fiscal kind

ronthecivil

Well their first mistake was cutting the GST, a move that many pundits and economists said was a bad idea. Compounding this was their policies to spend spend spend ( F35 program, navy ship building program, omnibus crime bill, etc).

Conservative Governments digging a hole for future generations:

Ronny Regan, Iron Lady Thatcher, The chin Mulmoron, Herr Harper, DUh Duh W Bush.

How many times do WE THE PUBLIC have to learn that conservatives are just rich CON men (or women), not brilliant political thinkers.

Small government with low taxes would be a better model than what the US (or Canada) is doing now (big government with low taxes).

If it's so stupid than why is it stupid? Would you prefer higher taxes?

By all means figure out solutions to balance our federal budget! I am all ears!

The Tea Party doesn't want small government and low taxes. They want a big government that keeps "Good Christian Values". They don't care about their tax rate, they'd just prefer it be spent on things like the over-bloated military instead of health care. Not to mention they're racist, homophobic and sexist.

Keep in mind, I'm not some super-liberal hippy either. I really don't care either way. But it doesn't take someone with a masters in political science to see why the Tea Party is dumb. I'm having a hard time seeing where you're arguing from on this.

On the one hand, you're espousing the values of a small government. That's cool, I can respect that.

Then you go rambling about the dangers of multiculturalism and "liberal social engineering." But when someone criticizes the Tea Party as being stupid for all of that, you attack them, and accuse them of the same stuff the Tea Party apparently believes.

Then you go completely away from those points and start saying because people don't agree with the Tea Party's social agenda, they want high taxes.

I'm pretty sure you're a troll, but whatever, all in good fun.

Seems like you're not getting your info from the right sources.

The Tea Party stands for Taxed Enough Already. Are there racist/bigot/moronic people who would identify (wrongly so) as a Tea Party supporter? Of course, but there are equally as many who are racist/bigot/moronic who claim they're "liberal" too.

Sounds like you're getting your info from the wrong sources. The original 'Tea Party' was a group of rebels throwing British tea imports into the harbor in Boston during the American Revolution, as protest against the taxes being levied by the king. The current incarnation simply takes the name from that event. Someone probably made an acronym using those letters for 'Taxed Enough Already', but it has nothing to do with the meaning of the name.

Yes, there are bigoted people on both sides. I know a lot of bigoted liberals. But the Tea Party is a breeding ground for the particular kind of stupid we were discussing. When Grammar Police brought up that the Tea Party promotes the interest of wealthy, middle-aged, white men, ron was unable to figure out that he was describing the Tea Party, not endorsing the position.

Well their first mistake was cutting the GST, a move that many pundits and economists said was a bad idea. Compounding this was their policies to spend spend spend ( F35 program, navy ship building program, omnibus crime bill, etc).

Conservative Governments digging a hole for future generations:

Ronny Regan, Iron Lady Thatcher, The chin Mulmoron, Herr Harper, DUh Duh W Bush.

How many times do WE THE PUBLIC have to learn that conservatives are just rich CON men (or women), not brilliant political thinkers.

The Tea Party doesn't want small government and low taxes. They want a big government that keeps "Good Christian Values". They don't care about their tax rate, they'd just prefer it be spent on things like the over-bloated military instead of health care. Not to mention they're racist, homophobic and sexist.

Keep in mind, I'm not some super-liberal hippy either. I really don't care either way. But it doesn't take someone with a masters in political science to see why the Tea Party is dumb. I'm having a hard time seeing where you're arguing from on this.

On the one hand, you're espousing the values of a small government. That's cool, I can respect that.

Then you go rambling about the dangers of multiculturalism and "liberal social engineering." But when someone criticizes the Tea Party as being stupid for all of that, you attack them, and accuse them of the same stuff the Tea Party apparently believes.

Then you go completely away from those points and start saying because people don't agree with the Tea Party's social agenda, they want high taxes.

I'm pretty sure you're a troll, but whatever, all in good fun.

Since this isn't a topic about American Revolutionary history, I thought it was implied that I was referring to the latest incarnation of the "Tea Party".

People I know who support the Tea Party from the grassroot levels are middle income folks, who believes social responsibility starts from the individual level, to family, to community, city, etc... a bottoms up approach, rather than from a top down with bigger government, etc. The best way to do that is for the government to reduce their taxation power, thus making it harder for it to intrude into people's rights.

I would say that special interest groups and so on have "hijacked" the Tea Party movement, where politicians claim for "less tax" yet sign off on stuff that will cost more money.

Sounds like you're getting your info from the wrong sources. The original 'Tea Party' was a group of rebels throwing British tea imports into the harbor in Boston during the American Revolution, as protest against the taxes being levied by the king. The current incarnation simply takes the name from that event. Someone probably made an acronym using those letters for 'Taxed Enough Already', but it has nothing to do with the meaning of the name.

Yes, there are bigoted people on both sides. I know a lot of bigoted liberals. But the Tea Party is a breeding ground for the particular kind of stupid we were discussing. When Grammar Police brought up that the Tea Party promotes the interest of wealthy, middle-aged, white men, ron was unable to figure out that he was describing the Tea Party, not endorsing the position.

Archived