The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there any NHL potential left in Darren Archibald?

Southpop45

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I haven't seen much of him, but when I look at his penalty minutes it sure doesn't seem like he's 'using' his size. Simplistic analysis yes, but telling.

If you are an average skater with size in the minors, and decent hands, the way you'll make to the NHL and stick are simple.

1. Improve your skating and fitness. Fitness will add speed even without improvement in mechanics so you get a bit of a burst there just from losing body fat, and losing a bit of weight. Ie Kassian (who is actually a strong skater).

2. Continue to develop your defensive game, so that you are not a defensive liability. You are not going to make the NHL as a 1/2nd liner without the skating (over time maybe you earn you way there once you've made it but to start no way, its 4th line and then earn 3rd, but even making 4th is tough), so defense first.

3. Have to play the body night in night out, lay hits, fight not every night but be the guy the team can rely on the 'stand up' to garbage, to instigate once in a while when the team needs a hit/fight to wake up.

So my concerns would be

1. He doesn't look to have 'leaned up'

2. He isn't the next coming of Bertuzzi or Penner so hopefully he works on his defensive game to not be a liability

3. Doesn't seem to be that guy bringing his most useful and valuable asset - size and intimidation. Seems to be trying to be the next Bert, and while that's important, if you remember, even Bert in his early days was throwing big hits and fighting - used his biggest asset to his advantage, size, which earned him more minutes and then the ability to show his offensive talents..

He still has alot of work to do...

Though 4G in 6 games in the AHL this year is a good showing, most of one year in the ECHL and <30 games in the AHL spread over the past 10 months doesn't seem like enough of a sample size to make a call on his NHL potential. Hopefully he has the tools to become a legitimate NHLer, but I'd say he's a long shot to crack an NHL roster as a fourth liner. I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to have the drive and determination of an Alex Burrows and provides the Canucks with a player with size, grit and skill.

He's been a nice net presence latley, but even a couple weeks ago I'd have probably said that he has little to no chance of being an NHL regular. If he can come around (as many players in their early 20s can) and show some consistency on the score sheet, while playing a physical game, then he's got something to work with. His last 2 goals were garbage goals, but every team needs a player to stand in front of the net to creat havoc and bang in rebounds. I think that Kassian eventually will be that kind of player, but he's got to stop trying to go end to end and score highlight reel goals, and just simplify... Which is whats giving Archibald his current success.

Archived