The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Smokers..

nux4lyfe

It's all about balance....some people get enjoyment out of target shooting, but they don't do it on city sidewalks. Selfish people think their enjoyment trumps the comfort of others.

I realized that smoking was pointless when the enjoyment factor was outweighed by the coughing fits I was having, the fact that I also enjoyed running and that was being negatively impacted and I had to stand out in the cold so others weren't subjected to my second hand smoke.

I get your point, so it's now pointless to beat me over the head with it. :)

No one asked anybody to quit smoking, If that's what makes you happy then so be it, but like I stated before, be considerate of others, just because there's a bench so many meters away from a door it doesn't mean it's a designated smoking area..at least ask before you light up...and some smokers complaining about so many of their rights being taken away, funny, to me it seems like smokers feel like they have too many rights...I had to quit a job because of it.

like someone stated before, non-smokers have as much of a right to breathe fresh air as you do to smoke.

I wish it were legal to slap a smoker across the face for having a lit cigarette near me, not just for the smoke issue but also for having to always worry about them carelessly getting ashes on, or burning a hole in, my clothes.

It really doesn't help that it seems like every other person smokes in this city.

As far as I'm concerned it's indefensible for anyone born in the last 40 years to smoke. With all we know about the human body, and what damages it, combined with what we know about what is in cigarettes it is completely unjustifiable as to why anyone would willingly want to smoke.

I agree with the rest of you, keep that sh*t away from me, join the homeless and back alley hookers you seem to identify down with.

I used to smoke cigarettes man...and I did it for the same reasons I smoke reefer now...because it calmed me down...to a point...not as much as cannabis, but hey...it did more to relieve my stress during some really difficult times...plus I couldn't exactly spark a spliff out in public when I started getting frustrated at people, but I think, the best thing I've ever done in my life is buy an electronic cigarette and ultimately break free of the stranglehold Big Tobacco had me in. This being said...Smoking laws have gone WAY too far, especially here in the US...they won't even allow you to smoke in football stadiums, bars, etc...that goes to ridiculous lengths...I'm sorry.

I used to smoke cigarettes man...and I did it for the same reasons I smoke reefer now...because it calmed me down...to a point...not as much as cannabis, but hey...it did more to relieve my stress during some really difficult times...plus I couldn't exactly spark a spliff out in public when I started getting frustrated at people, but I think, the best thing I've ever done in my life is buy an electronic cigarette and ultimately break free of the stranglehold Big Tobacco had me in. This being said...Smoking laws have gone WAY too far, especially here in the US...they won't even allow you to smoke in football stadiums, bars, etc...that goes to ridiculous lengths...I'm sorry.

Ok yeah...so it makes all kinds of sense, in let's say a bar...serving patrons copious amounts of alcohol...toxic amounts in some cases..and for people to get completely hammered...yet there's an outcry that results in smoking inside these establishments being prohibited? What...Tommy Teetotaler is concerned about his lungs even though he's destroying his liver at the same time? Give me a break, man. Adult establishments like bars and outdoor places like amphitheaters and stadiums...let these people smoke...I can see not allowing it in restaurants...but cmon.

Ok yeah...so it makes all kinds of sense, in let's say a bar...serving patrons copious amounts of alcohol...toxic amounts in some cases..and for people to get completely hammered...yet there's an outcry that results in smoking inside these establishments being prohibited? What...Tommy Teetotaler is concerned about his lungs even though he's destroying his liver at the same time? Give me a break, man. Adult establishments like bars and outdoor places like amphitheaters and stadiums...let these people smoke...I can see not allowing it in restaurants...but cmon.

Someone else consuming alcohol (even copious amounts) has no tangible effect on MY health. Second hand smoke OTOH...

The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke: A Report of the Surgeon General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

There is No Risk-Free Level of Exposure to Secondhand Smoke

The U.S. Surgeon General has concluded that breathing even a little secondhand smoke poses a risk to your health.

• Scientific evidence indicates that there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Breathing even a little secondhand smoke can be harmful to your health.

Secondhand smoke causes lung cancer.

• Secondhand smoke is a known human carcinogen and contains more than 50 chemicals that can cause cancer.

• Concentrations of many cancer-causing and toxic chemicals are potentially higher in secondhand smoke than in the smoke inhaled by smokers.

Secondhand smoke causes heart disease.

• Breathing secondhand smoke for even a short time can have immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system, interfering with the normal functioning of the heart, blood, and vascular systems in ways that increase the risk of heart attack.

• Even a short time in a smoky room can cause your blood platelets to become stickier, damage the lining of blood vessels, decrease coronary flow velocity reserves, and reduce heart rate variability.

• Persons who already have heart disease are at especially high risk of suffering adverse affects from breathing secondhand smoke, and should take special precautions to avoid even brief exposure.

Secondhand smoke causes acute respiratory effects.

• Secondhand smoke contains many chemicals that can quickly irritate and damage the lining of the airways.

• Even brief exposure can trigger respiratory symptoms, including cough, phlegm, wheezing, and breathlessness.

• Brief exposure to secondhand smoke can trigger an asthma attack in children with asthma.

• Persons who already have asthma or other respiratory conditions are at especially high risk for being affected by secondhand smoke, and should take special precautions to avoid secondhand smoke exposure.

Secondhand smoke can cause sudden infant death syndrome and other health consequences in infants and children.

• Smoking by women during pregnancy has been known for some time to cause SIDS.

• Infants who are exposed to secondhand smoke after birth are also at greater risk of SIDS.

• Children exposed to secondhand smoke are also at an increased risk for acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more severe asthma. Smoking by parents causes respiratory symptoms and slows lung growth in their children.

Separating smokers from nonsmokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot eliminate secondhand smoke exposure.

• The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), the preeminent U.S. standard-setting body on ventilation issues, has concluded that ventilation technology cannot be relied on to completely control health risks from secondhand smoke exposure.

• Conventional air cleaning systems can remove large particles, but not the smaller particles or the gases found in secondhand smoke.

• Operation of a heating, ventilating, and air conditioning system can distribute secondhand smoke throughout a building.

http://www.surgeonge...factsheet7.html

As they say:

swimming_pool.jpg

Agree that drunks are much more disgusting than second hand smoke. Rude, belching, farting. I wish it was legal to slap them, especially the scotch drinkers. Nastiest drunks there are. I think all drinkers should be forced to drink with all the rummies in the back alley. Booze breath at the bus stop? Gag.

You've missed my point. IF you are hanging out in a bar...drinking alcohol as I mentioned...and there are others in the same establishment who want to have a cigarette..you should let them have a cigarette. You're both killing yourselves, just using different means. The ban on smoking in bars is just stupid, quite frankly...as is prohibiting it in open-air arenas and amphitheaters.

You've missed my point. IF you are hanging out in a bar...drinking alcohol as I mentioned...and there are others in the same establishment who want to have a cigarette..you should let them have a cigarette. You're both killing yourselves, just using different means. The ban on smoking in bars is just stupid, quite frankly...as is prohibiting it in open-air arenas and amphitheaters.

Someone else consuming alcohol (even copious amounts) has no tangible effect on MY health. Second hand smoke OTOH...

The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke: A Report of the Surgeon General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

There is No Risk-Free Level of Exposure to Secondhand Smoke

The U.S. Surgeon General has concluded that breathing even a little secondhand smoke poses a risk to your health.

• Scientific evidence indicates that there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Breathing even a little secondhand smoke can be harmful to your health.

Secondhand smoke causes lung cancer.

• Secondhand smoke is a known human carcinogen and contains more than 50 chemicals that can cause cancer.

• Concentrations of many cancer-causing and toxic chemicals are potentially higher in secondhand smoke than in the smoke inhaled by smokers.

Secondhand smoke causes heart disease.

• Breathing secondhand smoke for even a short time can have immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system, interfering with the normal functioning of the heart, blood, and vascular systems in ways that increase the risk of heart attack.

• Even a short time in a smoky room can cause your blood platelets to become stickier, damage the lining of blood vessels, decrease coronary flow velocity reserves, and reduce heart rate variability.

• Persons who already have heart disease are at especially high risk of suffering adverse affects from breathing secondhand smoke, and should take special precautions to avoid even brief exposure.

Secondhand smoke causes acute respiratory effects.

• Secondhand smoke contains many chemicals that can quickly irritate and damage the lining of the airways.

• Even brief exposure can trigger respiratory symptoms, including cough, phlegm, wheezing, and breathlessness.

• Brief exposure to secondhand smoke can trigger an asthma attack in children with asthma.

• Persons who already have asthma or other respiratory conditions are at especially high risk for being affected by secondhand smoke, and should take special precautions to avoid secondhand smoke exposure.

Secondhand smoke can cause sudden infant death syndrome and other health consequences in infants and children.

• Smoking by women during pregnancy has been known for some time to cause SIDS.

• Infants who are exposed to secondhand smoke after birth are also at greater risk of SIDS.

• Children exposed to secondhand smoke are also at an increased risk for acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more severe asthma. Smoking by parents causes respiratory symptoms and slows lung growth in their children.

Separating smokers from nonsmokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot eliminate secondhand smoke exposure.

• The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), the preeminent U.S. standard-setting body on ventilation issues, has concluded that ventilation technology cannot be relied on to completely control health risks from secondhand smoke exposure.

• Conventional air cleaning systems can remove large particles, but not the smaller particles or the gases found in secondhand smoke.

• Operation of a heating, ventilating, and air conditioning system can distribute secondhand smoke throughout a building.

http://www.surgeonge...factsheet7.html

As they say:

swimming_pool.jpg

All of you have your complainy pants on today.

I am not trying to beat you over the head Deb , that even though i do not smoke { I used to } , i can understand why others gain enjoyment from it , and just because i have decided to stop , i am not going to tell others that what they are doing is pointless .

I admire your strength of will :) , to give up smoking is really hard , i know it was for me .

Archived