The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

After Hours with Alain Vigneault - 01.19.13

Jab316

Hrudey makes an ass of himself throughout the telecast and then kisses Vigneault's ass in this interview lol - but he has an angle.

AV is a great coach - he knows that there was a gap between the forwards and blueliners in that game - the forwards as a whole failed to backcheck and blew a whack of coverages in their own end of the ice.

But hockey is back - and game 1 has the positive effect of lowering expectations:

1) the CBC isn't worth listening to and do everything they can to ruin the hockey experience on the west coast

2) the game is in the hands of a guy (Tim Peel - see video) who shouldn't be an official in the National Hockey League and who coincidentally of course makes a pair of brutal phantom calls against our French Canadian players. Hrudey even after the benefit of replay, sees it as he wishes it were. I'm not going to play the 'officials cost us the game' song - but I will call the reality of a typical Peel performance on the Lapierre 'gt interference' and Burrows 'trip'.

But that's ok. I think those are positive things. The CBC is still flying the same colours, and the NHL has done nothing to clean up their zebra act. The Canucks obliged with a poor performance and it's all uphill from here haha.

General gong show, and I couldn't have enjoyed it more. There is nothing quite as fun as an NHL circus that results in a wave of bottom feeding and clears the bandwagon lol.

But AV is as real as always, doesn't bite on pathetic attempts to engage him in the feeding the frenzy (Hrudey sucks up to Vigneault and then asks him to share his locker room postgame comments) - AV is gracious after a loss and a pleasure to listen to.

The Canucks will soldier on and expose all the nervous nellies as anxious, impatient and short-sighted. The third pairing looked very good, the second line that most expected to bust had some 'real good' shifts, and the Canucks got the embarrassing result they needed to shake the rust off and get back to the basics of playing as five men units.

http://deadspin.com/...x-seconds-later

Archived