Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Edler's inconsistency and Ballard replacement

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#31 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

on the bright side - Garrison's looking great out there

#32 MarchandSucks

MarchandSucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Btw Edler is our leading scorer and we still have something bad to say about him ...CDC is awesome

There's no doubt he's offensively gifted. But he plays defense. And he's gotta be better in that department. I love his offensive game, and at times he is great defensively. Like I said above, he made a great play to set up his goal. But he also made a terrible play to allow the Eberle goal
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Mode 2015-2016
Toews 90 Stamkos 92 Kucherov 88
Mantha 83 Henrik 90 Lecavalier 85
Glencross 80 Thompson 74 Ranford 76
Richard 64 Lindholm 61 Connolly 74
Barberio 85 Jones 84
Morrow 75 Spurgeon 85
Methot 78 Streit 84
MIller 86
Hellberg 70

#33 canuckniforlife

canuckniforlife

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

you said alberts i stopped reading the thread.

#34 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Should have kept SALO!!!!
Posted Image

#35 TVank15

TVank15

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

I thought Ballard played well last night other than that giveaway (which was bad), but other than that I thought he played a solid game. I also really like the way AV is handling the minutes of the D this year. Garrison is looking really good so far and I believe once he and Edler develop some more chemistry, they will be one of the best pairings in the league.
Posted Image
Thanks to 23Qwerty

#36 Dynamic Innovator

Dynamic Innovator

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Ballard and Tanev have been pretty good so far.  (2 games doesn't make a suitable sample size however...)  Ballard's contract is what gets people cranky because his play is decent.

Let's not forget Kassian's giveaway to Shultz that had the same result as Ballard's giveaway to Horcoff.

The Canucks lost to Anahiem because they were out skated and played small.  The loss to Edmonton was a result of failure to convert on the powerplay and general lack of a killer instinct. Also, the shootout.

Edited by Dynamic Innovator, 21 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#37 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I agree with everyone talking about Edler seeming uncomfortable without a veteran D beside him, but, in my opinion, skating without one is exactly what Edler needs! He's not really going to develop that consistency, the factor we all agreed was the only thing he needed to reach the top tier of defensemen, as long as he's being babysat. There will be some growing pains, for sure. There will be some tough nights and some great nights. I believe, though, with the new contract and a new D partner that's more of a partner than a mentor, he'll learn that consistency and finally become the reliable #1 we all know he can be.

Edited by NuxFan09, 21 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#38 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Re: Ballard, he's unnecessary and redundant on the Canucks' 3rd pairing. I fully believe that Gillis acquired him as an insurance policy a few summers ago in case he wasn't able to sign Hamhuis, which is too bad because he parted with a valuable, talented player in Michael Grabner to get a player whom the Canucks ultimately didn't need. Hindsight is 20/20 but still, we could really use a player of Grabner's talent right about now. He scored a sick goal today for the Islanders. :(

#39 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

You guys on Ballard is ridiculous. He was better than most last game. Hamhuis was god awful...running into his own team mates, letting guys open behind him, turnovers, giving up odd man rushes.

But its 2 games in. Relaaax.

#40 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Vandermeer, Barker, and Alberts will all get their shots, but for the time being Ballard and Tanev are and have always been solid together since they were first put together. Sure, he' not perfect, but who has been? It's only been two games, while I remind and point out the obvious that there was no preseason this year, give Ballard and everyone else time, they are adjusting quite rapidly.

As for Edler I completely disagree. He's been incredible and arguably the best player so far. He's saved goals, broken up plays, taken the body, made efficient and accurate passes/plays, and chipped in offensively. He's going to make mistakes, but he's also going to learn from them. So far he looks WAY better than last year.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.