The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler's inconsistency and Ballard replacement

MarchandSucks

Everybody is taking turns at sucking, which is probably expected after only two games.

Easy to forget that Edler's only 26, but he does have two goals and it'll probably take a while to get used to playing right defense paired with Garrison, as opposed to playing left defense with Salo. Garrison looks good though.

Kassian looked real good, too bad he didn't get an assist to go along with his goal and a fight, ala Gordie Howe.

Hope we see Vandermeer soon, they could use the muscle.

Ballard is alright, liked his hip-check tonight... That one giveaway was terrible though. I think because we're paying him so much, it seems like he should be better. But we just ended up with an overvalued contract and we were desperate with defensive injuries. It is what it is

Yeah Edler has been fine, sure hes made some mistakes, so has the rest of the team. Even Higgins looks like hes was on another planet today, (hes one of my favourite Canucks) Kassian was a beast out there, hes playing really well. I think he will make us forget who is that guy they sent to Buffalo? I cant remember? Hod...oh I forgot already.

Ballard, omg, what was he doing passing in front of the goalie, and giving it away!! I was yelling "get him off the ice". Man, I liked Ballard, but now I am not so sure...I hope we give Barker a chance see how he looks.

I thought Ballard played well last night other than that giveaway (which was bad), but other than that I thought he played a solid game. I also really like the way AV is handling the minutes of the D this year. Garrison is looking really good so far and I believe once he and Edler develop some more chemistry, they will be one of the best pairings in the league.

Ballard and Tanev have been pretty good so far.  (2 games doesn't make a suitable sample size however...)  Ballard's contract is what gets people cranky because his play is decent.

Let's not forget Kassian's giveaway to Shultz that had the same result as Ballard's giveaway to Horcoff.

The Canucks lost to Anahiem because they were out skated and played small.  The loss to Edmonton was a result of failure to convert on the powerplay and general lack of a killer instinct. Also, the shootout.

I agree with everyone talking about Edler seeming uncomfortable without a veteran D beside him, but, in my opinion, skating without one is exactly what Edler needs! He's not really going to develop that consistency, the factor we all agreed was the only thing he needed to reach the top tier of defensemen, as long as he's being babysat. There will be some growing pains, for sure. There will be some tough nights and some great nights. I believe, though, with the new contract and a new D partner that's more of a partner than a mentor, he'll learn that consistency and finally become the reliable #1 we all know he can be.

Re: Ballard, he's unnecessary and redundant on the Canucks' 3rd pairing. I fully believe that Gillis acquired him as an insurance policy a few summers ago in case he wasn't able to sign Hamhuis, which is too bad because he parted with a valuable, talented player in Michael Grabner to get a player whom the Canucks ultimately didn't need. Hindsight is 20/20 but still, we could really use a player of Grabner's talent right about now. He scored a sick goal today for the Islanders. :(

Vandermeer, Barker, and Alberts will all get their shots, but for the time being Ballard and Tanev are and have always been solid together since they were first put together. Sure, he' not perfect, but who has been? It's only been two games, while I remind and point out the obvious that there was no preseason this year, give Ballard and everyone else time, they are adjusting quite rapidly.

As for Edler I completely disagree. He's been incredible and arguably the best player so far. He's saved goals, broken up plays, taken the body, made efficient and accurate passes/plays, and chipped in offensively. He's going to make mistakes, but he's also going to learn from them. So far he looks WAY better than last year.

Archived