The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Size DOES Matter - Subway

Wetcoaster

Not the first time they've had this problem...

They sell "Giant" subs in the US that used to be marketed as 3ft. After a scandal of Watergate proportions it was discovered that the boxes designed to hold these sandwiches were only 2ft 10 3/4 in.

Marketing was changed and no references were to be made "3ft" again....

Just a slight derail, I went to an American school when I was in grade 3 & 4 when I lived in the Dominican Republic.

That was '73 and '74 and that country was already metric - so they taught us metric.

When I came back to Canada, the metric system was just being implemented and day 1 in grade 5 we learned the metric system.

Other kids complained - but it was easy for me as I had already been doing it for 2 years!

I was surprised the US wasn't doing it - even though an American school gets the credit for teaching it to me.

Just a slight derail, I went to an American school when I was in grade 3 & 4 when I lived in the Dominican Republic.

That was '73 and '74 and that country was already metric - so they taught us metric.

When I came back to Canada, the metric system was just being implemented and day 1 in grade 5 we learned the metric system.

Other kids complained - but it was easy for me as I had already been doing it for 2 years!

I was surprised the US wasn't doing it - even though an American school gets the credit for teaching it to me.

wtf really man? we are talking about Length L E N G T H. The whole friggin thread is about the subway footLONG sandwich not footnominal dimension sandwiches!!!!I am amazed you woodwork without caring about length measurement percision.You must make a lot of lopsided birdhouses.

We are not talking length we are talking nominal dimensions of lumber - i.e a 2x4 is not in fact 2" x 4". If we were talking about cut length (which we are not) and not just nominal dimension of lumber (which we are) you may have something to debate (but you do not).Actually I started working in my grandfather's cabinetmaking shop when I was young 'un and I have been woodworking for a half century. I also worked in stick frame construction when I was a student.

Santo Domingo.

No - it's not an American city.

But just like the American embassy - the school I went to was American.

Why? At that time, a lot of Americans (and Canadians) were working there - assisting with infrastructure and others.

My dad was with the Telco's and was helping the Telephone company down there with a new system implementation.

wtf really man? we are talking about Length L E N G T H. The whole friggin thread is about the subway footLONG sandwich not footnominal dimension sandwiches!!!!I am amazed you woodwork without caring about length measurement percision.You must make a lot of lopsided birdhouses.

You ever heard of the No Child Left Behind Act...do you honestly think that if they are dumbing what they're already learning down that they would consider adding anything to the curriculum? Most of these kids that are dragging down the rest of the class can barely do their multiplication tables...you try to interject the Metric system and you'll have an even bigger lag in learning than you have now. American kids are idiots.

Except the metric system is far easier to learn when it comes to math.

My issue as a kid was conversion - I had no idea in grade 5 how many feet were in a mile - some kids laughed at me - until they saw the "A"'s I got in math.

Everything is in 10's. Not 12's and what have you in Imperial...inches in a foot, feet in a yard, yards in a mile....no wonder American kids have a hard time...

10 millimeters in a centimeter

100 centimeters in a meter

1000 meters in a kilometer.

Simple.

Archived