#1 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

POPULAR

Obviously the outcomes might not pan out as I wanted, but if it does.... :towel:

I won't deny that the Ducks game has effected my mood and thoughts on the Canucks... but I see so many positives with team:

- I love that we finally get to see some injection of youth on the team... I think our team needs to have a couple young guys who show emotion, this will trickle down to everyone. I'm definitely showing more emotion watching them :)

- Kass: It's all been said, but what I really like are the intangibles he brings to the team... I noticed the Sedins being a little more aggressive, but the whole team in general seems to be the same. Having a guy like Kass brings confidence / toughness to the team and makes everyone play a little more aggressive knowing Kass is there (I'm talking about players that don't usually play aggressive), maybe I should mention Volp here too. Boston is similar....a few of their old and new players play a tougher game with the B's and I think it's cause they know that Lucic, Z, etc are there...

- JS: I'm so happy for this guy! He plays with heart and puts it all out there... Before we saw him play, our main concern was the middle and if he keeps this up, MG doesn't need to focus on a replacement for Kes. I never liked the idea of a replacement player anyways... Kes will be back so we should focus on our original needs, I always figured that one of our guys can play C until his return.

- Mayray: Wow.. but I still prefer a bigger winger and when Kes/Booth return, I know we need a tougher winger (with skill) than Mayray for the 3rd or 4th lines come playoffs. Great thing is that he is increasing his trade value which could help the Lou deal!

- Ballard: Finally playing like we all expected! However, there's no way that we can keep him next season unless we get rid of one of the top 4 D.... Ballard gives us huge depth if one these guys get hurt during the playoffs. Best of all, he is also increasing his value, and the situation with Dmen in the league right now....we could get a hefty return without having to toss him in on the Lou deal or buying him out next year if we couldn't get anything in a trade.

- Tanev: Cool :) Amazing that we signed him for nothing! I have no idea what he'd be asking when his contract is up, but if it's too high.....there's a lot of teams that will pay BIG for a young Dman with his abilities! I would love to keep him, but that would mean we might have to get rid of one of our top 4. Lots of time (I hope) to see who's playing better....

- Defence: Our bottom D pairing is playing great and it's just a matter of time before the top 4 get their rhythm back (or get it for the first time)... Once all 3 lines are rolling, watch out! Come playoffs...our D will be much better rested if the top 4 aren't playing big minutes. If Edler/Garrison don't improve, I'd like to see them switch sides....or different pairings with the bottom 4 Dmen,

- Forwards: Our forward lines are playing great and as long as they keep us in playoff contention (without Booth/Kess), I'm happy! Lots of players who are fighting for spots and if someone isn't performing, we have plenty of guys that can take their place. Gives Kes and Booth plenty of time to be 100% healthy and when they get back, they should be hungrier than ever after being sidelined for so long. I'm not sure which I'm more excited to see??? How the forward lines will play when Booth/Kes return or what we get in the Lou trade?

- Depth: I've read a lot of line up suggestions and a lot of them seem to have one common denominator - overlooking one of our key players like Burr, Hansen or Higgy. Once Booth/Kes return, our forward depth might be the best I've seen in the last few years (Every year I get amazed at our forward lines but this year we have that potential big top 6 winger). Defence, I think it's pretty good and we would be able to handle injuries to two of our top 4 Dmen....better than most teams could.

- Wolves & others: I can't wait to see Jensen, Corrado, Gaunce, Pini, McNally, Mallet & Conn play for the Nucks! I doubt we would get to see them called up this year....except for Pini. However, next year... a few of these guys might be able to make the line up :) If Jensen, Gaunce and Mallet are able.... and I think all 3 would be in the top 3 lines if they made it, we have lots of trade pieces for picks and prospects so that we could handle the lower cap. AND, I would love for AV to give Archie another try :) I wonder if that would be enough to keep both Lou and Schneids? But, Lou doesn't deserve to be a backup.... :(

- Lou: What a team player! I like having this tandem between the pipes and our goalies won't go through the rigorous wear & tear that other goalies will be forced to handle in a shortened season. I hate to see him go, but if he's gotta go... there is no point in settling for mediocre returns - he's a #1 goalie on most other teams!

- Schneids: I thought Tanev was cool, but Schneids is Ice. He plays for a team with a 'crazy' fanbase, he played in huge statement games and he played in the playoffs and Stanley Cup Finals..... Now he has to handle the pressures of playing the #1 role for the first time! His first game he got embarrassed by the Ducks... and he redeemed himself courageously against them right afterwards. Lot's of pressure in that game for him.... 2 packs a day, I"m sure of it!

- AV: I'm still wavering on AV....but I will say that I am happily surprised that he seems to have changed his ways or at least less stubborn. Even though they deserved it, it's nice to see AV play the young guys in key situations this year. Hopefully, he will learn to put a little more trust in the rest of our prospects

- GMMG: I trust in MG and think he's a better negotiator than most of us here on CDC. So I think he'll get us the max value for a trade involving Lou... I prefer a GM who has the patience to make the right decision. If the offers are inadequate now than he might be right to wait until the deadline or summer to make a move....I'm sure he'll still have the same inadequate offers later. Why rush things? If Kass and Schroeds prove that they deserve a spot on the team....our needs regarding trades change drastically.

- Future: If Kass and JS play consistently throughout the year, I think that a lot of the trades we make this year and the summer will involve picks and prospects. This summer in particular would be a good time to load up on draft picks cause the pool is overflowing with good players...But extra picks in any year are always good. If Ballard and Mayray keep this up, if 1 - 3 of the prospects mentioned above make the lineup and Lou gets traded....our future is looking pretty good :)

So many of the positives above are related to the Canucks having that missing top 6 player we always wanted... if Kass is the 'one', this will be one of the best moves by MG in my books.

San Jose is playing great and I hope CDC doesn't "blow up" if we lose.... We're missing 2/3's of our second line and the rest of the team is still trying to get up to speed. I'm just hoping to see improvement in areas and I'm happy....
:towel:

#2 rfus88

rfus88

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

A lot of optimism going on here. I honestly thought the canucks were quite sloppy against Anaheim and probably wouldn't have won without all the power plays and the play of Hiller.

#3 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,854 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

An excellent and positive perspective, nuck luck .. ignore the nay-Sayers .. I too am very optimistic ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#4 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

A lot of optimism going on here. I honestly thought the canucks were quite sloppy against Anaheim and probably wouldn't have won without all the power plays and the play of Hiller.

lol sloppy in the first 10 minutes

rest of that game was a cake walk cmon now
Posted Image

#5 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

I guess JS is Jordan Shrayyyyder?

Usually you need to be a little higher profile to be easily recognized by your initials.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#6 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I like this! Great post man. Sure are a lot of positives to this team and 2 of our top 6 forwards are out. Great to see players stepping up to fill in the voids.
Posted Image

#7 Canuckfan1968

Canuckfan1968

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I know hey, how was that game sloppy far from it they played like they should have the powerplay clicked and they made them pay lets hope the sharks are in the box all night tonight. I dont care how you get a goal a goal is a goal. Making a team pay for stupid undiciplined penalties is ok with me. GO CANUCKS GO.

Edited by Canuckfan1968, 27 January 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#8 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

most people that think that anahiem game was a good one dosent watch anyother hockey besides canucks... win or lose canuck games are terribly slow paced and just boring.. refs were heavily in favor of the nucks last game and turned the game in their favor after they were being dominated 5-on-5 even our PP is superslow at moving the puck almost any other hockey game on any given night is far better for entertainment. sure a win is a win and most canuck fans say who cares how we win.. that just means your so hard up to see a win youll take it anyway you can get it wich shouldnt be the case with back to back pres cup winners youd think they would be the most exciting team on ice but they are far from it. when playoffs come and canucks once again cant play their game becasue they need to speed up their tempo we will collapse again . can hope the refs hand us the game every night.

#9 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Usually you need to be a little higher profile to be easily recognized by your initials.

what about AA and CB in the PB?
Posted Image

#10 JonSnow70

JonSnow70

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

@ chrisbanks Presidents cup does not = exciting hockey. Did you watch any NewJersey games back when they were winning cups, that was almost painful to watch but it was effective. Yes, there 5 on 5 has to pick up, and should when they Kes back but think overall they have done alright filling in the gaps.

#11 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

what about AA and CB in the PB?

ikr
Posted Image

#12 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Should we stand him on a couple of phonebooks, then?
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#13 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

The Canucks have clearly gotten better with every game they have played. However San Jose is the toughest team we've faced so far, the only playoff team from last season yet. We will see if the trend continues; Friday is tough to top but again, San Jose is a tougher opponent so degree of difficulty is higher. I still consider these games glorified pre-season. Players need to get synched up with each other and play themselves into game shape and get in rhythm. Coaches haven't had time to get everyone on board with the systems. Everyone is still working out the kinks. By mid-February we should have a better idea what this season is gonna look like.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#14 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

most people that think that anahiem game was a good one dosent watch anyother hockey besides canucks... win or lose canuck games are terribly slow paced and just boring.. refs were heavily in favor of the nucks last game and turned the game in their favor after they were being dominated 5-on-5 even our PP is superslow at moving the puck almost any other hockey game on any given night is far better for entertainment. sure a win is a win and most canuck fans say who cares how we win.. that just means your so hard up to see a win youll take it anyway you can get it wich shouldnt be the case with back to back pres cup winners youd think they would be the most exciting team on ice but they are far from it. when playoffs come and canucks once again cant play their game becasue they need to speed up their tempo we will collapse again . can hope the refs hand us the game every night.

You know, you got ballz coming onto the Canucks board and posting this, but I can't help but agree. Watching the NHL channel right now, a couple games from last night (CHI - CBJ and PHI - FLA). These games are much faster and exciting to watch, even though I don't really care what happens.

The only one that comes close was our recent win in Anaheim because of the hits, fights, and squabbles... and the overall speed was pretty decent.

You are right, though. The Canucks slow the game down, and they do it on purpose. Sure it's effective, but it's the very reason why our fans are so quiet. What's to rave about?
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#15 KraKassian

KraKassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I feel like Shawn Thornton was an intangible player for the Bruins during the Stanley Cup finals as well.

#16 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Is that the rule.... or only according to you? If you can't figure it out than you got bigger issues to worry about...

And his profile is rising in my books :)

#17 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#18 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

I didn't think they played as badly as you thought they did... and the refs had no choice but to call the penalties against the Ducks, we just took advantage of the situation.

The win's great....but you seem to be forgetting that we're missing 2/3's of our 2nd line???? For the Canucks to win in such a fashion without picking up any replacement players speaks volumes.

I don't care how they win...just as long as they win! You must be trolling or you're just a 'cup is half empty' kind of guy? And you think that we're gonna collapse come playoffs again because of games like the Ducks?? One thing that you're forgetting is that Booth/Kes will be back in the lineup too.... This team is winning games even though we have some major players out, how can you not be excited?

Like I said, with the injuries we have right now.....our team is looking pretty good to me!

Edited by nuck luck, 27 January 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#19 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

The Canucks have clearly gotten better with every game they have played. However San Jose is the toughest team we've faced so far, the only playoff team from last season yet. We will see if the trend continues; Friday is tough to top but again, San Jose is a tougher opponent so degree of difficulty is higher. I still consider these games glorified pre-season. Players need to get synched up with each other and play themselves into game shape and get in rhythm. Coaches haven't had time to get everyone on board with the systems. Everyone is still working out the kinks. By mid-February we should have a better idea what this season is gonna look like.

Exactly. They Sharks came out like expected and we didn't really have an answer. But, it seems like we're not too far.... How many posts did we hit???? 5 or 6....we we're inches away from getting a point or points out of this game.

The most important issue to me right now is our top 4 Dmen.... They just aren't clicking like they should be. Just a matter of time though or maybe we need to mix the pairings?

Overall, I think the D will get better....Kes/Booth will return.... I expect the next Sharks game to be much different. At the moment, we are doing better than most expected with two rookies in the lineup... but CDC can never be pleased :(

#20 topGun.

topGun.

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

A positive would be the play of Jordan Schroeder. He hasn't looked out of place at all and has been one of the better forwards the past few games.
Posted Image

#21 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,350 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Positives:

- Ballard and Tanev playing great, easily our best pair

- Schroeder showing he belongs, would like to see him with better linemates though, and getting more PP time when our PP is terrible like it was tonight.

- Goaltending has been great, we have only seen Lu once and he was pretty good, and aside from the 1st game Schneider has been outstanding.

- Mike Gillis: Not panicing, which is what I like, waiting for the correct offer to come along, can't hold out forever obviously but I like how he is handling it at the moment.

- Jannik Hansen, Aaron Volpatti, and Dale Weise all playing great. Hansen had his best game tonight, I thought he was very good, the others have been playing very well and very consistent all along.

- Zack Kassian has shown everything MG said he had in last year's end of season presser, really bringing what the optimists knew he had, and proving the hater wrong, play dipped a bit tonight but he was still better than alot of guys, and everyone was pretty much unimpressive, overall hopefully he can continue this.

- Mason Raymond showning signs of 09/10 Raymond, is playing alot better, is useing his speed and skating ability much more effectively, aswell he isn't shooting at the goalies chest, love the chemistry with Schroeder, gotta hold onto this guy he has been one of our best.

Negatives:

- AV: Not impressed, powerplay for the most part has been utterly unimpressive, fails to make changes and tweaks, continues to play Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, exc. The most when they aren't playing well at all. Motivation and mental preparation continues to be an issue. And no these are not just my opinions after the first 5 games, I have been banging this drum regarding AV for a long time.

- Bieksa & Hamhuis: Bieksa more specifically has been terrible, looking more like 09/10 Bieksa than 10/11 Bieksa. but Hamhuis has his share of blunders aswell. Both need to step up more.

- Edler & Garrison: Both have been better than KB3 and DH2 but still, they have had there good moments and terrible moments, still they need to play a bit better and a bit more consistent.

- Higgins has been near invisible, hasn't been terrible, but hasn't been very good, doesn't seem to be doing all that much out there, again not terrible play on his part, no real errors but I would like to see him make a bigger impact on the games as he can be a very huge part of this team when he is making an impact.

- Ebbett: No clue why AV played him over Manny tonight, (another questionable AV decision) it was an utter failure of a move, he is a good depth player but nothing more, did nothing with the 2nd line spot and hasn't been impressive on the 4th either, should waive him and sign Tambellini IMO.

- Lapierre: Isn't completely bringing the physical/agitating presence he is known for, I am happy he has cut back on his talking but he needs to be more discipline, has taken some bad penalties. Needs to get back to his game. Has had some decent moments but needs to get his Mojo going and get back to what makes him at his best.

- Special teams: Powerplay has been unimpressive for the most part, we have gotten some goals but there has been way too many missed opportunities, and PK has been okay, but it could still improve.

My Changes:

Line-up for next game:
Daniel - Henrik - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Burrows
Higgins - Lappierre - Hansen
Volpatti - Malhotra - Weise

Ballard - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Edler

Luongo

- Ballard and Tanev have been our best pair, I would give them the bulk of the 5 on 5 minutes, or atleast balance it evenly.

- Burrows experiment is over, he needs to be in a position to shoot not be the anchor man, also giving Schroeder another player who can finish would improve the overall effectiveness of the line and our top 6.

- Regular 3rd line, hopefully it jump starts Higgy and Lappy,

- Then the Weise experiment is over, has been great but he is most effective on the 4th in that physical role rather than a more offensive role like he was on that line with Raymond and Schroeder.

- Give Schneids a rest and get Lu back in there.

1st PP:
Schroeder - Garrison

- Schroeder played the point in Chicago so he has experience.

- He would also help on the break-in/breakout as he has the speed an elusiveness to gain the zone on his own, and has the speed and strength to recover defensively.

- Has a great wrister so if we can get him open in the high slot he can finish, also would set up Garrison better than Edler has.

2nd PP:
Raymond - Burrows - Hansen
Ballard - Edler

- Ballards speed could really help on the breakout, also has the hockey IQ to contribute to the plays and join the rush. Would also leave Hamhuis - Bieksa as the fresh pair for the 5 on 5 play after the PP.

- Hansen is the net presence and is the guy who does the grunt work in the corners and retrieves the puck, Burrows and Raymond are the skill guys.

Sorry for making it so long, really wanted to break down where I stand at the moment.

Thoughts? Agree? disagree?

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 27 January 2013 - 11:52 PM.

zackass.png

#22 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72,174 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

About time we have a positive thread in Canucks Talk.

307mg00.jpg

#23 NucksBrass

NucksBrass

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

kovalev wil take over jenrik job 4 capitain an eric jovanovski wil own defenseman ratingfs. mark gillis trad 4 them an we win cup this yaer

#24 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

- Lapierre: Isn't bringing the physical presence he is known for, I am happy he has cut back on his talking but he needs to be more discipline, has taken some bad penalties. Needs to get back to his game.

Lapierre is tied for 14th in the league with 17 hits.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#25 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

kovalev wil take over jenrik job 4 capitain an eric jovanovski wil own defenseman ratingfs. mark gillis trad 4 them an we win cup this yaer

...what?

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#26 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,350 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Lapierre is tied for 14th in the league with 17 hits.

Alright maybe this point is more just addressing what is fresh in our minds (tonights game) even though 14th isn't spectacular. (still good, not spectacular)

But he still hasn't been playing up to his capabilites, and it is still a very young year so if he continues this play my bet is that he will fall further down on this list.

zackass.png

#27 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

A positive would be the play of Jordan Schroeder. He hasn't looked out of place at all and has been one of the better forwards the past few games.

Agreed. I think that he is proving himself to be more than capable in the NHL.... If memory serves me correct, he excelled in every league he's played in up till now, but had a stutter step in the first year. Just getting comfortable with the level of play, new teams, etc... I expect him to be able to keep this level up and just improve year on year :)

The guys previous stats are pretty amazing!

#28 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

Positives:

- Ballard and Tanev playing great, easily our best pair

- Schroeder showing he belongs, would like to see him with better linemates though, and getting more PP time when our PP is terrible like it was tonight.

- Goaltending has been great, we have only seen Lu once and he was pretty good, and aside from the 1st game Schneider has been outstanding.

- Mike Gillis: Not panicing, which is what I like, waiting for the correct offer to come along, can't hold out forever obviously but I like how he is handling it at the moment.

- Jannik Hansen, Aaron Volpatti, and Dale Weise all playing great. Hansen had his best game tonight, I thought he was very good, the others have been playing very well and very consistent all along.

- Zack Kassian has shown everything MG said he had in last year's end of season presser, really bringing what the optimists knew he had, and proving the hater wrong, play dipped a bit tonight but he was still better than alot of guys, and everyone was pretty much unimpressive, overall hopefully he can continue this.

- Mason Raymond showning signs of 09/10 Raymond, is playing alot better, is useing his speed and skating ability much more effectively, aswell he isn't shooting at the goalies chest, love the chemistry with Schroeder, gotta hold onto this guy he has been one of our best.

Negatives:

- AV: Not impressed, powerplay for the most part has been utterly unimpressive, fails to make changes and tweaks, continues to play Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, exc. The most when they aren't playing well at all. Motivation and mental preparation continues to be an issue. And no these are not just my opinions after the first 5 games, I have been banging this drum regarding AV for a long time.

- Bieksa & Hamhuis: Bieksa more specifically has been terrible, looking more like 09/10 Bieksa than 10/11 Bieksa. but Hamhuis has his share of blunders aswell. Both need to step up more.

- Edler & Garrison: Both have been better than KB3 and DH2 but still, they have had there good moments and terrible moments, still they need to play a bit better and a bit more consistent.

- Higgins has been near invisible, hasn't been terrible, but hasn't been very good, doesn't seem to be doing all that much out there, again not terrible play on his part, no real errors but I would like to see him make a bigger impact on the games as he can be a very huge part of this team when he is making an impact.

- Ebbett: No clue why AV played him over Manny tonight, (another questionable AV decision) it was an utter failure of a move, he is a good depth player but nothing more, did nothing with the 2nd line spot and hasn't been impressive on the 4th either, should waive him and sign Tambellini IMO.

- Lapierre: Isn't completely bringing the physical/agitating presence he is known for, I am happy he has cut back on his talking but he needs to be more discipline, has taken some bad penalties. Needs to get back to his game. Has had some decent moments but needs to get his Mojo going and get back to what makes him at his best.

- Special teams: Powerplay has been unimpressive for the most part, we have gotten some goals but there has been way too many missed opportunities, and PK has been okay, but it could still improve.

My Changes:

Line-up for next game:
Raymond - Schroeder - Burrows
Higgins - Lappierre - Hansen
Volpatti - Malhotra - Weise

Ballard - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Edler

Luongo

- Ballard and Tanev have been our best pair, I would give them the bulk of the 5 on 5 minutes, or atleast balance it evenly.

- Burrows experiment is over, he needs to be in a position to shoot not be the anchor man, also giving Schroeder another player who can finish would improve the overall effectiveness of the line and our top 6.

- Regular 3rd line, hopefully it jump starts Higgy and Lappy,

- Then the Weise experiment is over, has been great but he is most effective on the 4th in that physical role rather than a more offensive role like he was on that line with Raymond and Schroeder.

- Give Schneids a rest and get Lu back in there.

1st PP:
Schroeder - Garrison

- Schroeder played the point in Chicago so he has experience.

- He would also help on the break-in/breakout as he has the speed an elusiveness to gain the zone on his own, and has the speed and strength to recover defensively.

- Has a great wrister so if we can get him open in the high slot he can finish, also would set up Garrison better than Edler has.

2nd PP:
Raymond - Burrows - Hansen
Ballard - Edler

- Ballards speed could really help on the breakout, also has the hockey IQ to contribute to the plays and join the rush. Would also leave Hamhuis - Bieksa as the fresh pair for the 5 on 5 play after the PP.

- Hansen is the net presence and is the guy who does the grunt work in the corners and retrieves the puck, Burrows and Raymond are the skill guys.

Sorry for making it so long, really wanted to break down where I stand at the moment.

Thoughts? Agree? disagree?

I'm with you on the positives... the negatives:

AV - I'm hoping that the past, especially last year, has taught him something and he'll start to change things up. But, I am on the fence with AV....I would only want to trade him if there is someone better out there.

Bieksa & Hamuis - There's no way the previous seasons were a fluke.... they need to definitely step it up, but I'm sure they will.

Edler & Garrison - I just don't like seeing Edler on the right side....Garrison has played both so why not try him there? If not, maybe pair Edler/Tanev and Garrison/Ballard. Someone on CDC wrote that Garrison and Ballard played together in Florida... worth a look.

Higgins - Definitely not the same impact as previous years? Hopefully, it's just a case of getting his rhythm and speed back... I think it's just a matter of time before he's back to par. I'm really hoping to see the Amex line again :)

Ebbett - Agreed.

Lapierre - He's been ok...definitely not the same. I sure would like to see him utilize the extra 15+ pounds of muscle he put on over the summer.

Special Teams - I'm not too worried about it now. We had some good chances and just didn't capitalize... but our special teams will get better with the return of Kes. Adjustments could definitely be made though....

Lines - I like the forward lines. I'd like to give JS 2 options to pass instead of the one... and this will be a tough line to contain, fast!

The defence could be moved around a bit... Ballard and Tanev have been the best pairing so maybe we can try them against tougher opponents, but I would still like to try Garrison on the right.

Maybe try Ballard and Garrison for the first PP? See how that works...

#29 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,350 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

I'm with you on the positives... the negatives:

AV - I'm hoping that the past, especially last year, has taught him something and he'll start to change things up. But, I am on the fence with AV....I would only want to trade him if there is someone better out there.

Bieksa & Hamuis - There's no way the previous seasons were a fluke.... they need to definitely step it up, but I'm sure they will.

Edler & Garrison - I just don't like seeing Edler on the right side....Garrison has played both so why not try him there? If not, maybe pair Edler/Tanev and Garrison/Ballard. Someone on CDC wrote that Garrison and Ballard played together in Florida... worth a look.

Higgins - Definitely not the same impact as previous years? Hopefully, it's just a case of getting his rhythm and speed back... I think it's just a matter of time before he's back to par. I'm really hoping to see the Amex line again :)

Ebbett - Agreed.

Lapierre - He's been ok...definitely not the same. I sure would like to see him utilize the extra 15+ pounds of muscle he put on over the summer.

Special Teams - I'm not too worried about it now. We had some good chances and just didn't capitalize... but our special teams will get better with the return of Kes. Adjustments could definitely be made though....

Lines - I like the forward lines. I'd like to give JS 2 options to pass instead of the one... and this will be a tough line to contain, fast!

The defence could be moved around a bit... Ballard and Tanev have been the best pairing so maybe we can try them against tougher opponents, but I would still like to try Garrison on the right.

Maybe try Ballard and Garrison for the first PP? See how that works...

I agree with you for the most part, I don't think the previous season's were a fluke with Hammer and Juice (Hammer especially, although I don't think Bieksa is the player he was in 10/10)

I also am optimistic Higgins will return to form, maybe not have quite the same impact he has on last years regular season, but I hope to see him have some sort of an impact.

Also like the Ballard idea on the PP, something I have brought up time to time, Ballard skating and hockey IQ (Which he doesn't get credit for IMO) Could be a real asset.

The one area I slightly differ is the PP, it has had some moments so far this season but has been terrribly ineffective for the most part, we were given tonights game on a silver platter thanks to Clowe, and we couldn't capitalize, in hindsight we should have won this game for sure, but we went 0/7 and that was the difference, some tweaks need to be made.

Aside from that I agree on your assessments.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 28 January 2013 - 04:23 AM.

zackass.png

#30 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

I wish we would stop seeing Kes and Booth through rose tinted specs. I would take back a fit Kesler into a Raymond - Schroeder - Kessler line but for me Booth does nothing for the line he plays in.
Kevin.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.