The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler our own version of Ovechkin? Hear me out!

Go Go Canucks Go

this quickly became a bash Kesler thread.

I know the team was clicking before he came back, but come on. The guy is a star, he plays tough and leaves it all out there. Yea i believe he hogs to much and always wants the puck on his stick, but if he continues to play like that he will struggle and then will adapt his game. He does not seem like one that enjoys to struggle (check last year) I think everyone should be glad we have such a player on this team

this quickly became a bash Kesler thread.

I know the team was clicking before he came back, but come on. The guy is a star, he plays tough and leaves it all out there. Yea i believe he hogs to much and always wants the puck on his stick, but if he continues to play like that he will struggle and then will adapt his game. He does not seem like one that enjoys to struggle (check last year) I think everyone should be glad we have such a player on this team

The point is Burrows has been TERRIBLE for more than half the games this season, yet everyone still loves the guy because he came from the ECHL? He gets paid what 4 Mil now, and has 10 pts in 16 games playing with the sedins? yes those numbers have improved, but he was supposed to be the answer to the second line, but got outplayed by Raymond and Schroeder.

People love him because he's scored clutch goals in the playoffs. Other than that, I think he had 1 point against the Kings, matching the output from Lapierre and Raymond if I'm not mistaken

J

Everything is wrong about this post, and here is why:

First off, Ovi is a Winger and Kes is a Center. COMPLETELTY different roles on the ice. Ovi is able to station himself anywhere from the left point down to the left corner, but his most popular spot is right along the half-boards about 3 or 4 feet off the boards (where he unleashes though famous one-timers).

Kesler is without question the best Penalty killer for the canucks. He fearlessly blocks shots, and is active with his stick to quickly pressure the other team and force them to move the puck quickly. In terms of offense, Kes occasionaly sets up for that 'Ovi' shot, but at some point in their career, every NHL player does... Kes in the center position rotates around the ice to create openings while a cycle is being generated.

As we've seen from burrows lately, the front of the net is the place to be. Say what you want about Bertuzzi, but he was a major part of those years of success just by stationing himself at the front of the net. If kes can learn to do this on his line, and let guys like Booth and Raymond take the shots, he will become that much better.

The point is Burrows has been TERRIBLE for more than half the games this season, yet everyone still loves the guy because he came from the ECHL? He gets paid what 4 Mil now, and has 10 pts in 16 games playing with the sedins? yes those numbers have improved, but he was supposed to be the answer to the second line, but got outplayed by Raymond and Schroeder.

People love him because he's scored clutch goals in the playoffs. Other than that, I think he had 1 point against the Kings, matching the output from Lapierre and Raymond if I'm not mistaken

J

You belong on a hockey panel of over analyzations. Kesler is a key role player on this team and that's all there is to it. He is a piece of this team chemistry that allows our best players to be their best. His defensive two way play and aggressive checking style are nothing like Ovechkin. He is a key player on the PK over the past three seasons and finished plus 11 in 2012. Ovechkin was -8. He has an offensive upside like a Trevor Linden.....Not flashy at times but aggressive to the net. He doesn't need to change his game, the team needs his consistency he's not even close to top form yet and the team won't begin to really gel for another 10 games or so. Once the team starts to fire on all cylinders Kes will be potting goals and smashing bodies and blocking shots. What more could you want!

I'm not trying to be rude here but I just think your way off base. If this team has any chance in hell of being a Stanley Cup Team. Kesler will be a huge part of that success.

Now before you guys yell at me like you'll undoubtedly do, I just wanted to provide my opinion on what I think about Ryan Kesler and how I see some similarities between him and Ovechkin "Offensively". That is the key word, as his 2 way game is obviously better by a mile. Although since he's been back from injury he's been less than stellar defensively.

When I say Kesler is similar to Ovechkin, its by the way they seem unable to adapt or change up their offensive game. All Kesler does it skate really fast trying to be a one man army and try and enter the offensive zone, then try and wrist shot it in everytime. Like many others have said, when he had the 40 goal season no one knew Kesler had that sort of threat.

Now everyone just defends that play and he's rarely scored goals like that since. It's actually very similar to Ovechkin yet they don't know anything else and keep doing it even when it's hurting the team.

Anyways for whatever reason he fails to demonstrate proper vision and playmaking abilities that most typical 2nd line centres display. His inability to use his linemates is my number 1 concern with Kesler. Whenever he does attempt to pass the pucks it really seems forced and not smart. Maybe lack of hockey sense?

Only time he shows his raw talent is on the PP and it's quite obvious why... it's an odd man situation where his speed and skill can shine. 5 on 5 is the problem that i have with him though.

My final issue is that his inability to properly share and distribute the pucks seems to always hurt his wingers. The old saying "great players make those around him better" is false when it comes to Kesler imo. I feel like he actually takes his wingers out of the game because they never seem to form any chemistry.

So in short I feel like Kesler is a lot like Ovechkin. They need to change their offensive styles quickly before their superstardom fair into obscurity

THAT'S MY TWO CENTS

I like as a player Kesler, my BIGGEST problem with him is that he is a drama queen. I thought he might be over it, because Burrows and Lappy changed their game. Kesler is still out there diving. He did in the game vs St.Louis and again vs Chicago. Every ref knows it, so why does he continue to do it??

• 1 month later...

Offensively they are similar, neither one utilize their linemates well, neither one adapt, both play north south. Both shoot too much from the outside. Both will continue to struggle 5 on 5 until they change their mental game.

Obviously defensively they are quite different.

I chop this up to coaching. Ryan is not a good second line center as you have noted and that's because if he's on the second line he is playing with other second line players, if they don't get the chance to help out the line your not using two of your top six to the best of there ability.

Take last game into it, the second line is not going well so AV puts a player that has been playing well with Ryan, where dose he put him... On the wing but that player was Schroeder a center that's playing better then Ryan at the time. Now if like to know what dirt Ryan has on AV and why he is so determand to not try Ryan on the wing, he's way to much of a puck hog to be a good second line center. Play him on the second line wing or drop him to the third line center our second line wingers deserve a center that will use them.

LOL, I can't believe I read through the first page of crap even.

Once again, homers will be homers overvaluing the player they have. Kesler on his BEST offensive year put up just a few goals more than Ovechkin's worst year offensively. Ovechkin is generational talent, Kesler is no where close in offensive abilities.

Open your eyes and take off those homer glasses.

Exactly. And because of that Roy won't sign here. Roy should be a fixture at 2C no question. Kesler should either play wing to Roy or 3C where he would be most effective as the Canucks have many players who could a lot in at 2W whereas there is an utter void to fill at 3C.

If he keeps diving, I want this goof off the team.

NYI

Kesler

Schneider

1st

VAN

Tavares

No one seems to understand the thread here. It was made when Kesler and Ovechkin were playing pretty much useless hockey in the offensive zone. They were both trying the same old things that defensemen had gotten used to defending. This was making them completely ineffective in the offensive zone because they wouldn't try new things. This was seen as the reason Ovechkin was not scoring in the beginning of the year, and the OP is saying is Kesler the same? (MEANING IS HE (LIKE OVECHKIN) NOT TRYING NEW THINGS IN THE OFFENSIVE ZONE?????)

People read the title and get all huffy and puffy. He's not saying do they play the same all around game for gods sake. Read the same response from the uninformed so many times now.

Archived