The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Missing: Canucks and big hits

Bill F-ing Murray

I remember when hammer came here and his hip check was devastating. Ohlund had the bigguns too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Trurad3pE

This year I don't see the hits that make the other team think twice about entering our zone, playing with there head down or even hesitating on dump in's. Maybe i have a case of refereeitis and I am apparently blind.

Please enlighten me if I am wrong in the fact that our team looks like they finish their checks but at a reduced effort then what we have seen in previous canuck teams.

I see this:

and think it might only be the fact that the lock out hasn't ironed out the kinks yet.

interesting note:

Lappy has been in the top 35(2013) (11-2012) (26-2010) and the number of hits for the last 3 years is a total of 483

No other canuck in the top 40 in each of those years.

In my opinion we need a stronger forward that can also score.... they are in short supply and well saying what we need and acquiring them are 6 different things.

I hate to say it, but I believe the NHL is going the way of the NBA/basketball where hard contact will be completely eliminated, and where the so-called pick and roll will be allowed...we're going to go from being a contact sport to one where the only incidental contact that is going to be allowed is where you establish a stationary position to block someone out. It's going to be like watching old-timers hockey.

I'm convinced the NHL is taking NFL's lead in their fear of litigation from retired players for post career issues (primarily undiagnosed/misdiagnosed head injuries; if that is allowed, the legal system would allow for lawsuits related to knee, shoulder, hip and all other debilitating injuries) and are making these adjustments on the fly.

So, the days of clean open ice body checks and classic hip checks are a thing of the past.

in a shortened and condensed season staying healthy is paramount, if you lose players to injury you're screwed and will miss the playoffs. the more physical your team plays the more its going to wear on the players and ultimatley cost you. our history with it aint that great either. hamhuis tryed to hip check lucic in the finals and got hurt and then boston ran away with it. vancovuer currently sits 13th in team hits, so middle of the pack. which is just fine. of the top 10 teams for team hits 8 currently do not sit in a playoff spot. the two that do are toronto, who sit first, and ottawa, who rank 7th for hits. and guess who sits dead last in team hits? with 275 fewer than toronto?.... Chicago. so i trust the canucks will ramp it up come playoff time, when they're not playing 7 games in 12 nights.

http://www.nhl.com/i...e=realTimeStats

Funny, how in 10-11 we had one of the least physical teams around and yet last year we have greatly improved physicality and only won one playoff game. Just because of one series everyone is all like "this team isn't tough enough" when in reality we need skill more than toughness.. I'd rather have four scoring lines than 2 lines of scoring and 2 grinding lines.

Archived