The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goal Song

DJ Dave

I've paid some attention to the last games on all three networks. SNET is usually way above TSN and CBC in terms of audio quality (for me anyway), but I still have a hard time hearing it. I know the networks are responsible for tuning down the arena volume, though it's a bit strange since I found the Clutch song to really come through previously.

Overall I think I like it, but I also agree with some others that it's not as catchy/punchy as Clutch, and perhaps less annoying to the other team compared to something like Chelsea Dagger.

the best goal songs are so absurdly simple that a drunken child could sing along. simple, short, repetitive. no subtlety whatsoever. see Chelsea Dagger, Rock n Roll Pt. 2 (Hey!),

i think the chorus to Bro Hymn would work great, so dead simple and it's a classic sing-along, has a victorious vibe to it as well. seems so obvious to me i have to wonder if no one else is using it already...

starts 1:09

the best goal songs are so absurdly simple that a drunken child could sing along. simple, short, repetitive. no subtlety whatsoever. see Chelsea Dagger, Rock n Roll Pt. 2 (Hey!),

i think the chorus to Bro Hymn would work great, so dead simple and it's a classic sing-along, has a victorious vibe to it as well. seems so obvious to me i have to wonder if no one else is using it already...

Yes, this is exactly what I've been suggesting in my previous posts on this thread. Simple, short, repetitive type stuff. Forget about taking pieces of popular songs that have a nice guitar riff or nice jingle...nobody in the crowd sings along to them or even remembers them. Heck, the Holiday goal song didn't even have any lyrics...and while it didn't compel the crowd to yell or cheer and wasn't intimidating, at least it was pretty simple.

I hadn't even considered this one, but I really like it. A LOT!!!! Similar to the Euro 2012 Seven Nation Army song I posted. Mix in the siren and you'd have a heck of a goal song. Plus I don't think any other team uses it.

DJ Dave, please consider using and let us know.

Yep - we've considered Pennywise. It might make an appearance - actually they players like it too.

stay tuned. it's RAWKIN' that's for sure...

DJD

I

has it been used a lot? like i said it seems like an obvious choice, i just can't recall hearing it used. that said i don't watch that much sports besides canucks...

i guess the tricky thing with an 'original' song is that you usually end up with something that's a bit more watered-down in terms of catchiness/effectiveness. i think Electric Worry was a good compromise but the Black Keys one just doesn't have the clout. Holiday was good but a bit friendly.

i guess all the real anthems are done to death

Very well-said. it's a constant issue we face every summer. what is the NEXT BIG GOAL SONG???

I appreciate your thoughts...

DJD

I still like Electric Worry, but, Gold on the Ceiling is an awesome song too. Not a great audience participation song though. With Electric Worry, the theory was that the crowd would yell "Bang Bang Bang Bang, Vamonos Vamonos" with every goal. Didn't happen, but in terms of a goal song, that should be one of the criteria...something that the crowd can chant to cheer our boys/ or hassle the opposition...

speaking of which...IF we ever end up in a Cup Final vs the NJ Devils...the goal song should automatically change to the chorus of Shout at the Devil.

And Sidney...not everyone wants holiday back...a great number of us rightfully recognize it as suckish. The same logic used applies to Clutch, in case you haven't noticed. Alot of people think it should stay, myself included.

That said, if it must change, Gold on the Ceiling is a great tune.

Applejuice - Many of us had the same reaction to Holiday. It had no real potential for audiences to do more than stand and politely clap.

That said, I like the simplicity of Pennywise, in terms of the ability to participate. The reason I liked Clutch so much as a goal song was that it COULD be chanted by thousands of fans very easily. It didn't happen, but the potential was certainly there. Electric Worry was better as a goal song than Holiday ever was in my opinion. Gold on the Ceiling was too, but not as good as Clutch. Bro Hymn is a crappy song overall, in my opinion, but the chorus might work very well as a goal song.

I'd be all for hearing that one experimented with, at the very least. If nothing else works, a mash-up using Pennywise and something else might be the ticket.

Applejuice - Many of us had the same reaction to Holiday. It had no real potential for audiences to do more than stand and politely clap.

That said, I like the simplicity of Pennywise, in terms of the ability to participate. The reason I liked Clutch so much as a goal song was that it COULD be chanted by thousands of fans very easily. It didn't happen, but the potential was certainly there. Electric Worry was better as a goal song than Holiday ever was in my opinion. Gold on the Ceiling was too, but not as good as Clutch. Bro Hymn is a crappy song overall, in my opinion, but the chorus might work very well as a goal song.

I'd be all for hearing that one experimented with, at the very least. If nothing else works, a mash-up using Pennywise and something else might be the ticket.

Hey, Dave

Like some previous posters have mentioned, ultimately you want a song that will get into the heads of the opposing team. This would defiantly gather some buzz around the league. Give it a listen, perhaps incorporate the transition at the :50 second mark? Throw in a siren and it would be pretty epic.

Cheers,

DunCanuck

Hey guys.

So tonight (vs. Nashville) we're going to fly a new attempt at a goal song.

Over the past almost 2 seasons, we've been using "Electric Worry" by Clutch. This song certainly is original (we're the only pro sports team using it) and it was met with some initial mixed feelings, yet has caught on rather well.

That said, and as I said back when we started playing it, it is good, but perhaps not the BE ALL AND END ALL of goal songs.

So keep your ears peeled tonight, and let me know what you think.

DJD

@CanucksDJDave

djdave@canucks.com

DJ Dave - like others before me, I think it would be epic to use some local talent for the goal song. I think it first got mentioned as an entrance song, but House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) is a great candidate for when the Nucks score. In particular, this segment (0:20ish).

Cheers!

Hey, Dave

Like some previous posters have mentioned, ultimately you want a song that will get into the heads of the opposing team. This would defiantly gather some buzz around the league. Give it a listen, perhaps incorporate the transition at the :50 second mark? Throw in a siren and it would be pretty epic.

Cheers,

DunCanuck

Archived