The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prison break in Quebec worthy of a movie scene

Stihlman65

http://www.theglobea...article9859980/

qpp.jpg

Quebec Provincial Police car (The Canadian Press)

Helicopter escape from Quebec jail sparks manhunt for two fugitivesAdd to ...

STAFF

The Globe and Mail

Published Sunday, Mar. 17 2013, 5:35 PM EDT

Last updated Sunday, Mar. 17 2013, 5:35 PM EDT

1 comment

120x240_GST_mp.jpg

Two inmates have made a dramatic afternoon escape from a Quebec prison using a helicopter shortly after 2 p.m. ET Sunday afternoon.

The inmates, Benjamin Hudon-Barbeau and Danny Provencal, reportedly clung to the helicopter’s skids as it flew away from the detention centre in St-Jerome Que., about 60 kilometres northwest of Montreal.

The break-out has precipitated a chase by land and air. The Quebec provincial police located the helicopter, but only the pilot was aboard.

As of 4:45 p.m., officers were “in pursuit of a suspect vehicle” according to the police Twitter feed.

(More to come)

http://www.theglobea...article9859980/

From what quebec media are reporting,two individuals booked a tourist chopper yesterday,and when they took off today,they pulled a gun on the pilot and ordered him to fly to the prison.

They timed it so that the prisonners were outside,then the chopper hovered above the ground and a rope was lowered to get the escapees out of the courtyard.

The chopper landed not to far from the prison were a getaway car was waiting.As of now there isn't any new info.

Wow,pretty daring,and I have a feeling it could get ugly.One of the prisonners called a media outlet and said he is not returning to jail.

Updated info

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/helicopter-escape-from-quebec-jail-sparks-manhunt-for-two-fugitives/article9859827/

They found the getaway chopper 85 kilometres away in Mont-Tremblant. Only the pilot was inside. He has been taken to hospital where he will be questioned by investigators.

The two inmates remain at large.

Police have not named the duo, but one man identifying himself as Benjamin Hudon-Barbeau, called in to the TVA television network and an FM radio station following the prison break and said he was one of the escapees.

He said he was weary of prison and ready to die, according to the radio station.

Mr. Hudon-Barbeau denied being a Hells Angels member. He was imprisoned for six years on multiple weapons offences.

“It will end badly,” he told the station. “I’ll kill myself, I’m 36 years old, I was told that I would die in prison.”

He told the station that another escapee, Danny Provencal, who was doing time for several break-ins, had accompanied him in the escape.

The helicopter was reportedly hijacked from tour company Heli-Tremblant.

(More to come)

Archived