The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Moving up in the draft.

For this to be an option we need to make a couple assumptions:

1. Ballard ends up back in doghouse; Booth under performs upon return in playoffs.

2. Vancouver looks to be needing the contracts moved for cap reasons.

3. Standings end up somewhat similar to current.

If at the end of the season Mike Gillis looks to be ready to buy out these two contracts (not saying he will be but I am not convinced either will still be here)

To NSH:

Booth

VAN 2nd

To Van:

NSH 2nd

To DET/STL/PHI/Other:

VAN 3rd

Ballard

to Van:

2nd

Essentially it is a move for cap space + position in draft.

While I'm not so sure of the deals you proposed, it's an interesting idea that we use Ballard and/or Booth not as add ons to a bigger trade or to get picks back on their own, but rather to allow us to move a pick in order to get an upgraded pick back.

We'd have a little more certainty if they're deals at the draft as to what kind of upgrade the pick would be, as standings and also playoffs will factor into where the picks fall.

I think there are just too many options where we can trade them for a buyout to become necessary, and this is a decent example of how we could get at least something for them.

While I'm not so sure of the deals you proposed, it's an interesting idea that we use Ballard and/or Booth not as add ons to a bigger trade or to get picks back on their own, but rather to allow us to move a pick in order to get an upgraded pick back.

We'd have a little more certainty if they're deals at the draft as to what kind of upgrade the pick would be, as standings and also playoffs will factor into where the picks fall.

I think there are just too many options where we can trade them for a buyout to become necessary, and this is a decent example of how we could get at least something for them.

I look at it as Nashville is in dire need if fire power and there are a bunch of teams with holes on D if the cost is losing 15-20 draft positions for a potential reclaimation project of a top 6 winger and top 4d, the teams in question are getting a bargain.

Archived