The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap tour

Gurn

Saw Randy Bachman last night up here in Powell River, part of his "Every Song Tells a Story" tour.

Started at 7:30 till 9:00, a bit of a break then back on till just after 10:00.

Intimate, small venue of about 500 people. Enjoyed all of it, he gave out the origins of 15 songs and some of them are truly hilarious.

Let it Ride- inspired by an american trucker that had boxed Randy inbetween 3 rigs and after slowing to 25 mph finally pulled over to gas up. Randy and Fred Thorton being big guys follow the dude to the gas pump and step out to give the guy a rough time but the trucker is built like a fridge with a head on it. Anyway the trucker ends the verbal discussion with 'Why don't you just let it ride"?

Randy is playing in Victoria tonight- not sure what venue- worth the $45 I paid-and then some.

I'll add- I've talked a few times to him when I worked on Saltspring-the guy is a very easy going, good dude.

Saw Randy Bachman last night up here in Powell River, part of his "Every Song Tells a Story" tour.

Started at 7:30 till 9:00, a bit of a break then back on till just after 10:00.

Intimate, small venue of about 500 people. Enjoyed all of it, he gave out the origins of 15 songs and some of them are truly hilarious.

Let it Ride- inspired by an american trucker that had boxed Randy inbetween 3 rigs and after slowing to 25 mph finally pulled over to gas up. Randy and Fred Thorton being big guys follow the dude to the gas pump and step out to give the guy a rough time but the trucker is built like a fridge with a head on it. Anyway the trucker ends the verbal discussion with 'Why don't you just let it ride"?

Randy is playing in Victoria tonight- not sure what venue- worth the $45 I paid-and then some.

I'll add- I've talked a few times to him when I worked on Saltspring-the guy is a very easy going, good dude.

I had e-mailed his website asking if "Blue Collar" would be on the set list but unfortunately not.

He gives alot of credit to Lenny Breau- called him Canada's best ever guitarist. Admits to taking riffs from Lenny and turning it into "Looking Out For Number One". He admits that every artist takes a bit from here and there and makes it their own. 4 Chords are all that you can legally "copy" then you might get a letter from a lawyer.

During the show the screen behind him is full of old pictures of

Neil and The Squires

Dylan

Joni Mitchell

Ringo's all star Band

Ashford and Simpson.

Chet Atkins

and on and on.

Funniest story is where "Taking Care Of Business" came from. Working Title was "White Collar Worker" and he had the title/refrain being sung like "Paperback Writer" way up high vocals- bloodly awful- whole crowd laughing and him too.

His CBC radio show is renewed for 2 more years, Saturday or sunday afternoons.

American Woman- Born in a curling rink in Regina? when Randy broke a string and having only one guitar the band takes a break while he re strings. Getting it in tune using the "C" key of Burton's piano and discovers the main riff- he motions the band back on stage and they all build a bit on the main riff, but no Burton, who is outside buying 'something' from the trunk of some dudes car.Burton later says it was some comics ;). Anyhow Burton comes in hears the music and gets to the stage-Randy, trying to find a way to lock the riff into his mind yells to Burton sing something and Burton yells out "American Woman stay away from me" -Super mega hit.

The guy is fantastic with a guitar. In my personal top ten.

Archived