The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion on direction of team

Realistically the UFA market is a bit dull this summer, there is Iggy and Morrow, Streit, Regerh, a handful of others, if they could be had for reasonable prices.

I'm thinking Iggy re ups with Pittsburgh cheaply or goes to Edmonton to finish his career.

Being as how there are not a lot of huge names on the UFA market, I think the players who are available will wind up making a bit more then they are worth due to the lack of big names.

Also even though many ppl( myself included) make proposals involving multiple trades and lots of big names moving around, but realistically, how many times in history do you recall teams making 4 or 5 big deals in one summer.

I think the best route to go, would be to try and make some smaller moves for picks and prospects at every level, trying to bolster the number of 1-3 round draft picks in this years draft, and bringing in some youth, while also developing youth within the system now That the youth killer AV is gone.

Then play out next season remaining competitive, but focusing more so on developing players, and then, once the Sedins contract is up, they can be re-signed for less and put into a more veteran leadership second line type role, and be involved in the Possible Malkin sweepstakes. I personally don't think Pittsburgh would be able to match some of the possible offers he could get elsewhere, being as a large chunk of Pittsburghs core will be up for re-signing next year. Offer Malkin a big contract, put him on the first line, and attach some young players with him, as Pittsburgh has proven, it does not really matter who plays with Malkin or Sid, they will put up points regardless.

I think a partial rebuild utilizing young skill from within the organization and a major UFA signing next year would keep the team competitive while putting pieces together for the future.

What do you guys think, as Canucks fans would you like to see the team build from within, or just start disassembling the team this summer?

So would you be willing to put up with a 2-3 year playoff drought if it meant being a top Cup contender after that. IE a Pittsburgh/Chicago/LA/ type of trip threw the gutter before making it to the top?

The only player in the UFA market that appeals to me is David Clarkson. Other then that, I don't really want to go after anyone unless its an extremely cap friendly deal. Teams usually end up overpaying for average players and I don't want the Canucks heading into that direction.

I wouldn't mind going through a re-build and developing from within because I don't think this core is good enough to win anymore. Maybe sell some of the assets for prospects and picks

I would really like to know what FLA would want for their 2nd overall pick this year. Obviously it would cost an arm and a leg but if we drafted someone like McKinnon (since Jones makes more sense for COlorado, even though I think McKinnon is the better choice and will have a better career).

We need to move Luongo, they aren't ready for Markstrom to be #1. Let that be the starting pint. Sure it's still a mile away from a deal but it can at least get the ball rolling in the right direction. Thoughts on what they would demand?

First course of action should be to re-define the team's core and move the luxury pieces with NTC's. Higgins and Edler should go, while Ballard either gets his chance with the new coach or we say adios to him. Lu needs to go too, but if the other teams with star goalies rumored to move don't trade them then Lu's value can still be high. With that I hope to trade him to Philly.

Would be sweet to sign Iginla if the team can re-tool quickly, since he could really protect Hank and offers the team another strong, right-handed shooting forward. Kassian needs ice time too with Higgins going. Also they shouldn't rush the rookies if they aren't ready, since that could delay the team's return to the top of the Western conference.

I don't know if Colorado takes Jones, I know a Dman makes more sense for them, but it's pretty tough to turn down Mackinnon, Colorado might want to continue building offense, so they and Edmonton can have some epic 8-6 games down the road. Just swapping goals with all there talent on the front end. Plus after seeing Seth Jones and Nathan Mackinnon playing in the same game against each other its tough to say Jones is the better Dman. So much talent though in this draft, I'm glad the Flamers have a relatively low pick, plus some higher 1st rounders. Really hope they can stock the cupboards this year and next.

Phil, I think the teams return to the top of the west is probably a ways out anyways, I don't think a re-tool is the way to go. I think a rebuild while trying to remain competitive is a much better plan. Wait to long and wind up like Calgary. Better to start rebuilding now for a contending team in 2-5 years then continue to make the playoffs and suffer early exits for the next 2-5 years. The west is getting stronger, obviously Edmonton is due to breakout right about next season, the AVs are only a season or 2 behind them. Chicago will be strong again next year, as will LA, STL and Anaheim. SJ can compete for another season or two. Winnipeg brings another upcoming youthful team to the conference as well. They are just a few moves away from having a really solid team. Minnesota has a good team on paper, if they could find some chemistry they could be a really tough team too. The only teams I see as guaranteed not to be competing for a playoff spot next year in the west are Calgary, Dallas and Phoenix. Although off season moves could even change that.

Archived