The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your thoughts on Edler Going for....?

OK everyone and their dog has been piling in on trading Edler which I am all for if only because his back will never be 100% again and he could be one bad hit from hanging up his skates. Anyone who has ever had repeated back issues will understand. So more of a feeler I am throwing out. Who would you rather see Edler go for then. James Neal, Bobby Ryan or traded/packaged in a trade to move into the top 5? These have been the most bandied ideas about Edler so what do you think you would prefer as a hockey fan? Would you rather see Neal, Ryan or a top 5 pick come back for Edler and why?

I love Bobby Ryan, but trading Elder for Ryan is a problem in itself because our real issue is cap space. If you trade Edler for a big contract coming back, and assuming the Luongo trade is also going to have a contract coming back, you're really forced to now move a Booth or Ballard for very little return, which I guess is better than a buyout, but if it is Ballard that can be moved, suddenly you're out two D-men depth-wise.

I love Bobby Ryan, but trading Elder for Ryan is a problem in itself because our real issue is cap space. If you trade Edler for a big contract coming back, and assuming the Luongo trade is also going to have a contract coming back, you're really forced to now move a Booth or Ballard for very little return, which I guess is better than a buyout, but if it is Ballard that can be moved, suddenly you're out two D-men depth-wise.

I lean on Ryan because he`s shown so much heart, and that playoff goal 2 or 3 years ago...wow! The cap issue would be negated by a few different things. Edlers and Ryans would be a near swap in terms of annual cap hit and Malhotra`s off the cap Booth or Ballard and or Luongo will be traded as well as a few others let walk with at least 2 or 3 rookies moving up to fill in on elc`s Ya I would stab at Ryan myself

Trading Edler for Bobby Ryan would set the Canucks back an extra $100,000 in cap space, but trading Luongo, Booth, and Ballard would still open up some cap room.

Some of that cap room would be used to re-sign Tanev and possibly Alberts on the back end, since Edler and Ballard would be off the books.

James Neal, Bobby Ryan, Wayne Simmonds and the like would all be good acquisitions for Edler but like others have said, we would have to trade Ballard, Booth and Luongo to make it work.

Couple weeks ago an Edler trade seemed very possible but now I'm doubtful he will be dealt. He's still a very good defenseman but our defense is good enough to make Edler expendable for a much-needed top 6 forward.

An Edler trade is still more than possible as a matter of fact. I think Gillis knows he's handcuffed by handing NTCs out like candy and he needs to do something now or it's his job at the end of the year. One bad season or playoff performance and we are all of a sudden Calgary circa 2009, old guys huge contracts....ya he's gotta do something

An Edler trade is still more than possible as a matter of fact. I think Gillis knows he's handcuffed by handing NTCs out like candy and he needs to do something now or it's his job at the end of the year. One bad season or playoff performance and we are all of a sudden Calgary circa 2009, old guys huge contracts....ya he's gotta do something

We hope he does something but the past couple seasons has been nothing but status quo for Gillis, so I'm doubtful. He seems to have become too complacent and perhaps "scared" to make moves because of his poor trading history, fair enough, I'd rather him make no trade than a bad trade. That said there comes a time when a shakeup/upgrade in a certain position is necessary and this seems one of those times. Like you said, with all the NTCs Edler becomes the most logical core player to be dealt for a significant return but trading him after signing may further ruin his reputation so once again I wouldn't be surprised seeing him just go with the status quo.

Archived