The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

KingAlex's 2015 Prospect Overviews: Matthew Spencer

KingAlex

Throughout the year I will review some 2015 prospects with the overall opinion of others and my own. This is also a thread for you to discuss about the player being reviewed.

Matthew Spencer.
1jti0o.png

6yjcld.png

2yxrwie.png

The Petes caused a stir by using their No. 3 overall pick on the 6-foot-1, 192-pound Spencer, who captained his Oakville Rangers midgets to both Ontario and OHL Cup titles, rather than exceptional-status blueliner Sean Day.

How would you describe your game to people who have not seen you play yet?

"I like to think of myself as a good, solid, puck-moving two-way defenceman, I like to make good lead pass out of the zone. I try to be physical but not overly physical. I'm not going to go out of my way to make a big hit or get a guy riled up but when the opportunity comes, I'll take it."

Which NHL player(s) do you study closely since he, or they, play a style close to what you hope to do at that level?

"Personally, I think the player I resemble the most is Alex Pietrangelo of the St. Louis Blues. Hes just one of the most solid D in the league. He makes very few mistakes and the ones he makes are very minor. The eagerness and offensive talent that [the Los Angeles Kings'] Drew Doughty possesses, I like to play that way too. But mostly Alex Pietrangelo."

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/buzzing-the-net/peterborough-petes-matt-spencer-getting-speed-making-jump-120432807.html

Overall Projection: Top 4 PMD

KingAlex's Projection: Top 2 PMD

I started my series off with the one defenseman that would fit the Canucks perfectly. Right Handed shot, Puck moving defenseman, could quarterback the powerplay, doesn't make many mistakes, and best part is he is projected to go around 10-20 which is around where the Canucks will select, unless they go all the way! ::D In this case a 10-20 pick shouldn't cost us the world.

What do you think about Spencer? Do you like the sounds of him? Do you want to hop on the newly bought SpencertoCanucks2015 bandwagon? Feel free to discuss anything and everything related to Matthew Spencer.

He's more of a DFD with raw offensive skills IMO. He's not overly physical as he says but he's a steady reliable defenceman has a hard shot at the point. I think he has room to develop his offensive skills so as a 3rd rounder he'd me my pick but I don't really see him being a "PMD" or an OFD.

Archived