The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Download, Stream, or nothing

grumpworsley

Had this argument with a guy I know who streams videos all the time. He says downloading is stealing so he chooses to stream.

Can someone please explain to me what the difference (ethically not technically) is.

I believe they amount to the same thing except that streaming is a hypocritical way of circumventing the system.

I stream instead of dowloading but that is just to save space. It's basically the same thing. I guess an argument could be made that streaming doesn't actually give you digital possession of the video but in my eyes it's pretty much the same as downloading.

I am not sure if you can actually steal something if it still remains in its original place. Any lawyers?

Think of it like sneaking into a Movie theater. Sure you didn't steal the movie, but it still costs the theater and movie company money.

Downloanding isn't stealing either, with stealing the original owner loses property. Both downloading and streaming are piracy/copyright infringement and are illegal though. Sounds like your buddy is trying to rationalize his acts.

We all download movies and stuff, but let's not pretend that what we're doing is completely acceptable and justified.

How can the producer of a film say that me downloading could possibly cost them a penny. First off they would have to prove that had I not downloaded it I would have payed to see it. Or that I intended to watch the whole thing. What if I only watched 10 mins of it, thought it crap and deleted it.

How can the producer of a film say that me downloading could possibly cost them a penny. First off they would have to prove that had I not downloaded it I would have payed to see it. Or that I intended to watch the whole thing. What if I only watched 10 mins of it, thought it crap and deleted it.

There is also the matter of a "gift". I know there have been relatively recent changes to the Canadian laws surrounding copyright and piracy, so I'm not sure exactly where they are at now. But, previously, I know that if you were to say, buy a CD, you were allowed to copy it as many times as you like for your own purposes. One of the purposes could be to give a gift to someone (i.e. a copy of the CD). However, if you were to lend the CD to someone, it would be illegal for them to go ahead and copy the CD during the time they had it. In addition, if you owned the CD at any point in time, technically you own the rights to listen to that material and thus could download the content at any time if you were to lose the disc or not have it with you at the time.

i guess technically the illegal part of the stream is done by the person providing the stream, not the people watching it. it's not akin to someone sneaking into a theater, it's more akin to someone sneaking into a theater with a video camera and then you watching their footage (or live stream) afterwards without you ever possessing the tape. you didn't break the law, you didn't posess the illegale property, the person who recorded the video in the theater did. but either way a law is being broken and you are, at best, complacent in it's illegality.

Archived