The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Orr: NHL should bring back 2-line offside pass rule

I'd rather see them go to a centreline offside and remove the blueline offsides.

Keep the bluelines just for the over-the-glass rule and defensive hand-passes.

Once you gain centre onside, the whole half the rink is yours to work with. Think about the pressure you can apply in the offensive zone if you didn't have to worry about trying to hold pucks in, onside, on the blueline. Especially the power play when teams often barely break up a pass or play and the puck barely comes just outside the blueline.

On 19/08/2016 at 11:01 AM, Rush17 said:

I respect his accomplishments but slowing down the game isn't the answer.

no, but it would encourage more creativity and also more turnovers, which leads to more goals.  I think the no red line, but #4 makes some good points.

On 24/08/2016 at 11:43 AM, cbdoubleu said:

I'd rather see them go to a centreline offside and remove the blueline offsides.

Keep the bluelines just for the over-the-glass rule and defensive hand-passes.

Once you gain centre onside, the whole half the rink is yours to work with. Think about the pressure you can apply in the offensive zone if you didn't have to worry about trying to hold pucks in, onside, on the blueline. Especially the power play when teams often barely break up a pass or play and the puck barely comes just outside the blueline.

that's too much for me.  it completely changes the game.  let the euro leagues do that, not here.

Orr's comments are interesting, but from an injury perspective I just don't think it would help. Those chip passes in a two-line world can create more suicide passes for forwards who don't have time to look up. At least in the current system there are more options for passes, creating safer plays in my opinion.

Archived