The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 4-0-0

TheRussianRocket.

4 hours ago, ice orca said:

If this was a school i'm pretty sure L.B. wouldn't be going to the principal to settle things with a pest.

He can't stop, no matter what I do or say, he is completely obsessed. 

It's creepy to be honest.

On 10/22/2016 at 1:21 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If memory serves (and I've blocked out a lot of that horrible season), Torts wanted to use a very aggressive 2-1-2 forechecking system. Here's an article that breaks down how that system works: http://www.hockeyshare.com/blog/hockey-systems/2-1-2-forecheck/

And defensively, he primarily used a version what's called a low zone collapse. Here's an article on that system: http://nhlguides.net/low-zone-collapse/

The problem IMO is that these systems weren't really suited very well to the personnel he actually had available on that roster.

The forechecking system failed for a number of reasons. The players overall weren't a sufficiently tenacious group (at least in any consistent way) to win enough pucks. They also didn't tend to prevent D-to-D passes very well (crucial to the F2 role in a 2-1-2). They weren't quick enough to recover and would get caught deep when the forecheck failed. And some of the players just didn't take to it naturally and would make terrible reads, often committing low when they should have been tracking back (possibly because they were thinking about the coach harping on them to be aggressive rather than just reading the play and reacting to the danger).

And with the forechecking system not working well, playing low zone collapse was probably a bad idea (at least for that roster). It basically meant that as soon as the forecheck failed, the entire team was tracking back (often chasing the play if guys had overcommitted on the forecheck) to defend low in the defensive zone. The neutral zone sometimes felt like it was all but abandoned. Too often, as soon as a team beat our forecheck, they had an uncontested breakout and breezed through the neutral zone with very little resistance.

In fairness to Torts, those systems can work quite well with the right personnel. Unfortunately, the Canucks team at that time did not seem like the right group of players for those systems.

But IMO Torts's greatest failure was that he arrived with little knowledge of the roster. I still remember his early press conferences where his descriptions of several players just didn't match what most Canucks fans knew from years watching these guys (his statements on Edler--and how he used him--comes immediately to mind). And Torts even openly admitted not knowing much about certain players on the roster. He really didn't learn the strengths and weaknesses of the group he inherited until well into the season. And even then, he never really seemed interested in adjusting (other than some minor tweeks--like playing slightly less aggressive on the forecheck).

He certainly didn't come in and tailor his systems to the roster. He tried to force a system on a group of players and it just didn't fit. And then he blamed the roster.

Not that Torts wasn't at least partially right about some of his criticisms of the "old and stale" group. The roster needed change. But they also weren't quite as bad as Torts made them look. His coaching methods exposed the worst of that team. And ultimately this cleared the way for a top-to-bottom regime change.

It was just a bad hire. And one that proved fatal for Gillis (although I tend to believe the narrative that ownership forced the hire against MG's wishes). But regardless of who actually hired Tortorella, he was a bad fit. Wrong coaching style for the personalities on the team. Wrong systems for the types on players available. Square peg, round hole, and the rest is history.

Thank you so much for taking the time to go in depth and describe to me what that nutbar was trying to accomplish.  After that whole season I am amazed that to a man (that I can recall) not one Canuck threw him under the bus.  That speaks huge volumes about the character we had and have on that team.

When he first got hired I was kind of hyped.  Then once we started to falter every post game presser was a carbon copy of the last.  Reiterating that they were trying to perfect the system.  You could probably transcribe the last 40 press conferences and most of it would be verbatim.

Thanks again for the explanation.  

Archived