The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 4-0-0

TheRussianRocket.

1 minute ago, Fantomex said:

Moot point. If Marky was not interfered with he may have been able to make the save, but being pulled away from the middle of the net (where he was positioned) made it impossible for him to recover. That IS goalie interference, therefore NO GOAL. Botched call again by the refs, and the conspiracy continues. 

Obviously not a "moot" point as it was ruled no interference and a good goal after review

13 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I actually kind of agree with @LaBamba that this is a trap Jarvis is running. And its limiting entry and shots quite nicely. I don't care what the media is saying, what's got me excited about this year is that they are already having success with this system, and we're not even into November hockey. 

Jarvis has us controlling neutral zone play far better than Wille ever did that's for sure. Its interesting that JB went with bringing in Jarvis vs. just replacing Willie, seems to be working. 

Tbh it is more of clogging up the neutral zone.  A trap wouldn't be running the high pressure forecheck we've been running.  Trapping is more like having all 5 guys standing in the neutral zone letting the game come to them, where we have been putting pressure both on the forecheck and backcheck.  

14 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Just off the top of my head I don't think he's ever played an injury free season. He always misses quite a few games.

Fingers crossed

Actually before the disaster here last year, he only missed 3 games in 5 years.

1 minute ago, TheOgRook said:

Tbh it is more of clogging up the neutral zone.  A trap wouldn't be running the high pressure forecheck we've been running.  Trapping is more like having all 5 guys standing in the neutral zone letting the game come to them, where we have been putting pressure both on the forecheck and backcheck.  

Exactly, it's more of a "moving trap" they are just a helluva lot more mindful of their gaps, regardless of where they are relative to each other on the ice.

Playing this way is the best possible thing you can do for a team counting on some pretty young players. You learn how to play the right way early. 

14 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Just off the top of my head I don't think he's ever played an injury free season. He always misses quite a few games.

Fingers crossed

Nah he's been a bit of an iron man throughout his career.  Last year musta been tough on him mentally! 

7 minutes ago, grumpworsley said:

Obviously not a "moot" point as it was ruled no interference and a good goal after review

It was the wrong ruling. Clearly. 

Markstrom was literally pulled out of position by that guy. He would have made the save otherwise as the puck wasn't even in the air. All he had to do was have his leg down there - which he couldn't do.

Do i need to mention he was almost knocked into next week earlier in the game? Someone needs to let the refs know the preseason is over.....

2 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Exactly, it's more of a "moving trap" they are just a helluva lot more mindful of their gaps, regardless of where they are relative to each other on the ice.

Playing this way is the best possible thing you can do for a team counting on some pretty young players. You learn how to play the right way early. 

Tenacious puck pursuit, constant puck hounding, tight gaps and counter punching when we get the puck back. 

26 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I actually kind of agree with @LaBamba that this is a trap Jarvis is running. And its limiting entry and shots quite nicely. I don't care what the media is saying, what's got me excited about this year is that they are already having success with this system, and we're not even into November hockey. 

Jarvis has us controlling neutral zone play far better than Wille ever did that's for sure. Its interesting that JB went with bringing in Jarvis vs. just replacing Willie, seems to be working.

It seems that the "usual suspects" are now trying to pejoratively label the Canucks' successful adjustments into "The Trap", as if we're playing like the 90s Devils or the Roger Neilson Canucks.  Aside from the neutral zone play, it ignores the reality that play in our own zone is vastly improved, as seen in the quickness that the forecheck is being broken and the zone cleared.

1 minute ago, darkpoet said:

Markstrom was literally pulled out of position by that guy. He would have made the save otherwise as the puck wasn't even in the air. All he had to do was have his leg down there - which he couldn't do.

Clearly I beg to differ, as Markstrom being out of position had nothing to do with Edler playing the puck into his own net

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Tenacious puck pursuit, constant puck hounding, tight gaps and counter punching when we get the puck back. 

Right. 

We lost a Stanley Cup to a team who played like this a few years ago.

Can't quite remember... who was their assistant coach again?   ;-) 

Just now, grumpworsley said:

Clearly I beg to differ, as Markstrom being out of position had nothing to do with Edler playing the puck into his own net

You clearly are a troll, and cannot realize that Markstrom was pulled away from the play, therefore "goalie interference". I'm done with you, thanks for coming out.

3 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Do i need to mention he was almost knocked into next week earlier in the game? Someone needs to let the refs know the preseason is over.....

Yes at which point Buffalo was assessed a penalty

1 minute ago, grumpworsley said:

That wouldn't have mattered had Marky not been pulled out of position, and was simply able to lay his leg down across the crease. 

1 minute ago, Fantomex said:

You clearly are a troll, and cannot realize that Markstrom was pulled away from the play, therefore "goalie interference". I'm done with you, thanks for coming out.

I don't agree with you so I am troll? Is this how you deal with people who don't share your opinion go ahead ignore me see if I give a flying F**k you certainly aren't going to keep me from my opinions right or wrong

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

+10 and add to that we don't have a second line, Granlund should never have been acquired for Shink, Sbisa should have been sent to Siberia, and Edler sold for a bag of pucks... 

Yes we have a lot of experts here...

Yes there are,  and that's why we are on the other side of those arguements ;) 

8 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Minding the gap is always a good thing :bigblush:

24 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sorry but I didn't learn anything there and therefore can't really be convinced.  What makes it a "trap"?   Have you actually paid attention to the forecheck at all?  Honest question.

LB is saying we have the type of roster to be a successful trap team - he's not suggesting we actually are a trap team.

The team looks a whole lot like it did the past two years under Desjardins - the difference is that players like Sutter, Edler, Tanev, Hansen, Sbisa, Hamhuis (Higgins, Prust) - all started getting peeled out of the lineup for long periods of injury.

No coach is going to look real good with a half a roster and a patchwork of young, inexperienced kids.

Jarvis is a great addition - but you guys are getting carried away attempting to belittle WD.  I'm still waiting for the doubters/haters to actually take his systems on - again - very few here have any idea what they actually are.  If you can actually qualify the claim that this is a "trap" team, I'm listening. 

Two different things - they're playing a trap when they don't have the puck. Yes the forecheck looks good. 

On WD - where's the evidence that he's anything other than a very mediocre coach? 

2 minutes ago, grumpworsley said:

I don't agree with you so I am troll?

No, you're a troll because you are ignorant to the rules and spout off things. 

Rule 69.3 "If an attacking player initiates contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed."

Good day, sir.

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It seems that the "usual suspects" are now trying to pejoratively label the Canucks' successful adjustments into "The Trap", as if we're playing like the 90s Devils or the Roger Neilson Canucks.  Aside from the neutral zone play, it ignores the reality that play in our own zone is vastly improved, as seen in the quickness that the forecheck is being broken and the zone cleared.

huh? Not sure I see the issue? I think for some plays they're employing a trap-like strategy. Not saying its all they do, but it sure looks like it at times, and I'm happy about it. 

3 minutes ago, grumpworsley said:

Pin all fairness the rule states the goalie must be allowed to make the save..  The rule doesn't say , he wasn't able to get to it anyways.  While a border line call, markstroms right pad was clearly pulled away from the flow of the play.  The first thing that ran through my head was.. After calling the it goal on the first replay, how could they then turn it around without having noticed the interference the first time around?

Archived