The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 4-0-0

TheRussianRocket.

1 hour ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Wow. Watching a GIF of it makes it really clear how bad the interference was. He literally pushed markstrom away from the puck. At first I thought it wasn't that bad but seeing this makes me realize markstrom would have made the save probably if he hadn't been pushed. Sadly, the review system for goals is broken. The 2 refs have to review it on the ice on a small TV screen when it should probably be reviewed by Toronto. The refs clearly were pissed off at the goal challenge and only took a few seconds and then denied it. I knew they were going to deny the challenge as soon as they skated away from the penalty box so quick.

I agree, the interference should have gone back to Toronto. By leaving it with the refs, it puts them awkwardly at odds with their own system. Would have been better to have Toronto look at both as separate plays and have them potentially overturn their own decision.  

25 minutes ago, apollo said:

It's irrelevant. Everyone knows it was interference, and everyone knows it wasn't going to count. If it was us doing it, it wouldn't count. It's the Vancouver crest on our jerseys.

The NHL does NOT want Vancouver to succeed. We have to out score the game fixing. 

At the end of the day, we're by far the greatest sporting franchise of all time and we can't let the old boys club continuous attempts to fix games hurt us. 2011 and 2012 were prime examples... two cup champs in my books.

The one good thing though is we are still winning the games, without relaying on help...

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson may have taken a "stupid" penalty, but he's also using it as an opportunity to send a message to opposing teams:

"The Canucks crease is now a no fly, no fun zone. Try anything and I'll beat the *#!$ out of you."

agree completely.......I was thrilled with that penalty

12 hours ago, hookshott said:

When the score is 2-1 in the last 5 minutes, you do NOT take a penalty!  How would you feel if we were now all talking about a game we lost in overtime because of the lack of discipline??

Just fine as long as Larson got his bell rung. Sometimes sticking up for your team means risking  that. 

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't know LB.  The trap was more effective imo when there was a restriction on two line passes, and obstruction/holding/interference was way more rampant and uncalled in the NHL.  The clutch and grab Flames of the past was just horrible hockey to watch.   The Devils were light years more boring than this version of the Canucks.

I think this team actually employs a moderately aggressive forecheck - Dorsett, , Hansen, Eriksson, Virtanen, Burrow, Sutter, etc - like to get in fairly aggressively and don't really bother attempting sit in the middle of the ice and steer possession to a neutral zone winger.

I agree that they have some pretty good shutdown D, and a good group of two way forwards - and probably won't be outscoring the kid teams anytime soon - the kind of roster that may lean towards a trap in the past -  but I like the more hybrid, up tempo style they do play - they have some decent speed in the lineup as well - and I think they counterpunch pretty well in transition.

Bottom line for me - they're not giving up much in the way of odd man rushes, extended possession in their own zone, and aren't turning the puck over much on exits.

The trap may be boring, but on the other hand as well, I can't stand pond hockey at the NHL level.    This is what I want to see.

I actually kind of agree with @LaBamba that this is a trap Jarvis is running. And its limiting entry and shots quite nicely. I don't care what the media is saying, what's got me excited about this year is that they are already having success with this system, and we're not even into November hockey. 

Jarvis has us controlling neutral zone play far better than Wille ever did that's for sure. Its interesting that JB went with bringing in Jarvis vs. just replacing Willie, seems to be working. 

12 hours ago, KyoNami said:

3. The Sedin line, while quiet, generated solid chances throughout the game.

I agree on the Swedes - while many would like some more flash - the line is playing within the structured system and quietly generating chances while not being a liability.

Eventually the puck will go in more for them.

The whole team is buying in to better puck support and puck pursuit.

....and man, I was stoked when we got Guddy, but I am really enjoying watching Bill Pickle (Willy) Jr. back there...

9 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I actually kind of agree with @LaBamba that this is a trap Jarvis is running. And its limiting entry and shots quite nicely. I don't care what the media is saying, what's got me excited about this year is that they are already having success with this system, and we're not even into November hockey. 

Jarvis has us controlling neutral zone play far better than Wille ever did that's for sure. Its interesting that JB went with bringing in Jarvis vs. just replacing Willie, seems to be working. 

They were definitely using a 1-4 trap at the end of the third

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Sorry but I didn't learn anything there and therefore can't really be convinced.  What makes it a "trap"?   Have you actually paid attention to the forecheck at all?  Honest question.

LB is saying we have the type of roster to be a successful trap team - he's not suggesting we actually are a trap team.

The team looks a whole lot like it did the past two years under Desjardins - the difference is that players like Sutter, Edler, Tanev, Hansen, Sbisa, Hamhuis (Higgins, Prust) - all started getting peeled out of the lineup for long periods of injury.

No coach is going to look real good with a half a roster and a patchwork of young, inexperienced kids.

Jarvis is a great addition - but you guys are getting carried away attempting to belittle WD.  I'm still waiting for the doubters/haters to actually take his systems on - again - very few here have any idea what they actually are.  If you can actually qualify the claim that this is a "trap" team, I'm listening. 

1 minute ago, grumpworsley said:

The part where the puck was going wide until Edler kicked it in?

Moot point. If Marky was not interfered with he may have been able to make the save, but being pulled away from the middle of the net (where he was positioned) made it impossible for him to recover. That IS goalie interference, therefore NO GOAL. Botched call again by the refs, and the conspiracy continues. 

3 minutes ago, grumpworsley said:

The part where the puck was going wide until Edler kicked it in?

The puck was going in the opposite side of the net if Edler wasn't there to kick it across to the far side. He tried to kick it out and didn't get enough of it. 

Archived